Thread: dark/cryptic refugium

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

dark/cryptic refugium

howdy! i'm interested in adding a dark/cryptic zone into my current refugium. i was wondering what would be the best way to create one. my refugium are is 12"x 4.5"x16" with a 32w PC 6,700 bulb

thanks
    kev
    Last edited by aquakevem; 02-23-2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: image placement

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    what are we miracle workers, not even a $2 hooker could fit that in there..lol

Just kidden, welcome to the club dude by the way. First cab off the ranks & your trying to expand within tight spaces. by the look of it, ( i could be wrong here) you have a shelf holding the skimmer elavated in you fuge, if this is the case you have a structure already in which to use. i personally wouldn't bother with it, but if your keen you could cut some egg create into a baffle cube with some strips of 70/ 30 shade cloth zip tied or siliconed on the outside to block some of the reflected light. Benethic zones are for the likes of sponges & other planktonic & sedimentary feeders to my knowledge, so a lattice cube would be ideal growth points, dont need a alot of flow, but consistant enough as to be constantly replenished.

I still think its over kill, to be honest if that is indeed a shelf, id just simply place some sand to block the top focused light. Others who have extensive experience in these types should pipe up soon, cause im not sure what incompatability issues there are between critters of both zones, if indeed live critters
    of benethic zones can withstand an environment without pressure.

Vquilibrium Productions

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    for the welcome

this is how my sump looks

yes my skimmer is sitting on a shelf i made. but it is not inside my refugium. the refugium has it's own chamber area, skimmer also. where can i find small pieces of white/black egg crate and 70/ 30 shade cloths. i really don't need yards of this stuff, you know?

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well i get my plastic lattese from the my tank builder @$25 for 4x2ft sheets.
    & shade cloth from bunnings hardware. your right though, you need min amounts, ask a LFS for offcuts maybe, & any hardware store can provide you with what ever lengths you require of shade cloth, they might charge you $2 to get your strips past the cash register, but hey, you might be lucky & they give it to you for free.
    its just one idea though, wait till other jump in with some suggestions, they could be fair better than mine

Vquilibrium Productions

Thread Information