Thread: ich on my tang?

Thanks

ich on my tang?

I have been watching my purple tang for about a week now. It seems to have greenish/white spots. I believe it is ich but am looking for a second opinion. As for now I am treating with some garlic and a 3 gallon water change. What do you guys think? I have never really seen ich in person.

the side pic shows spots on the lower left
    the other pic shows them up near the fin

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    looks like ich or maybe even marine velvet to me. it is kind of hard to tell from the picks though.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Sorry about the poor pics. However I do have good news...I started dosing garlic on Thrusday. Today the tang appears to be ich free. The garlic has worked for now. I am going to look into UV for the future however.

Thanks
    tat does not really look like Ich to me, but i am glad to hear all is well with your tang..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    id like to see some more pics of ich if anyones got some. i just noticed some spots on one of my clowns. how did u dose with garlic? did you use garlic extract, or real garlic, and how much did u use?

Thanks
    sorry, i don't have any other pictures of ich
    as far as garlic is concerned, you simply add a few drops garlic extract (cheaper and easier than real garlic juice) to your food. then let id absorb for a few minutes.

and FYI, using garlic is more of a preventative measure than a treatment.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Grand Master Reefer Seahorsedreams's Avatar
    Thanks
    There's always a chance that this recent disappearance of the white spots is because it hit the next stage in it's life cycle where the cysts fall to the bottom of the tank and in the rock crevices waiting to mature and burst, releasing hundreds of new "critters".

Keep your eyes peeled.
    Renee

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye out for that. So far so good. I have been adding about 4 drops (1 drop/10 gal) a day for about a week now. The extract sure is powerful and smelly but seems to be helpful IMO.

I have heard about using McCormick Garlic extract from the grocery as well. anyone?

Thanks
    adding it directly to to the water is best used only if they are not eating...
    its best and more efficient to soak the food in it.
    remember while fish do drink a lot of the "stuff" is filtered out, the really get the advantages from eating it on food

besides, you will use alot more adding it to the tank vs just soaking food

Thanks
    I pulled out my fishs and put them in to a quarantine tank a dose them two times. with copper then let the main tank cycle for a month with out a host the ich should die thats what i heard it worked. then i bought a new fish put him in the quarantiane tank for three weeks all was fine ate good swam good and looked .put him in the main tank and a the next day he had white spots noboy elsa had them but the new fish die by the way so i went back to step one. i to was giveing kent garlic.
    extract

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

The Ich

i was going to start a new thread, but this seems like a good spot for this post. I think ive got "the ich" If thats what it is, then its been mild for some time, and when i moved my tank, one of my clowns developed some small blotchy spots, a few days later. after some research, particulary an article an by Steven Pro. Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com (Very helpful!) This is what i've learned. Ich can not live with out a fish. shrimp and crabs can not get ich. the life cycle is about 2 weeks. So my current plan is to set up a quarentine tank, and put my only 2 fish in it. shrimp, crabs, and snails will stay in the main tank. after about 2 weeks without a fish host, all the ich in the main tank should be gone. meanwhile, i'm going to try the "hyposalinity" method to kill the ich in quarentine. from what i've read so far, a salinity of 1.009- 1.010 for 14 days will kill the ich. i think i will go for 3 weeks just to be sure. however salinity should be brought back up slowly, .001 per day. i havn't found anything on how to lower salinity to that point. i wonder if it should be done slowly as well, or all at once, to kind "shock" the ick into dying off. If anyone has tryed this method, please let me know of your success, or lack there of. Also if anyone disagrees with any of this, id like to know what, and why. I want to avoid using chemicals if possible, so this hyposalinity sounds like the best treatment to me.

Thread Information