Thread: brine vs mysis

Thanks

Talking brine vs mysis

Hi guys, i think a miracle just happened again to my mandarin. my LFS does not have live brine this week. and i was out of masago (fish eggs) to feed my mandarin. so i decided to give the frozen mysis a try. well my mandarin started to eat them the minute i put the food in the tank. if this continues to happen, i will convert its diet to frozen mysis. i know brine has no nutritional value unless you put in zoecon. what about mysis? are they any better?

thanx =]

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I understand they're much more nutricious. I swear, mysis must be like fishy crack, EVERYTHING in my tank loves them, including my vegetarian lawnmower blennie and yellow tang. If the mandarin will continue to eat them, I'd totaly switch. Easier than suplimenting the brine too.

Thanks
    Yes, the mysis is a much better deal. If your fish is large, like my mandarin, PEI will work fine. If the fish is smaller, you may need to break it up some, or try the hikari brand, which is smaller.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    i bought the frozen type. they are not in cube. its a large piece. i break it off, then put in warm water to thaw. then wait a lil. then put in garlic and zoecon. then feed to mandarin. ofcourse my mimic blenny gets his/her share too =]

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I always rinse mine in RO water after thawing it in a small kitchen strainer. Then I tap the blob of mysis into a cup add vitamins and garlic and let it soak for a little while. Then I dilute it with some tank water and feed. Rinsing helps to remove phosphates which are used in the liqiud it was frozen in. IMO soaking it in undiluted vitamins & garlic means that more of the preparation gets into the food.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    FYI... thawing in fresh water may cause the food to float moreso than if thawed in salt water....just my two cents

D
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thread Information