Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: DIY Cryptic Tube Fuge - Video Podcast Episode 88

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP View Post
    I'd wonder if the test kit was still trusted.

Do the tests even go that high? I thought 160 was top threshold.
    160 is the max, but when it gets there before you even wait the five iminutes and the solution turns red as you drop the drops in - you got troubles.

I have wondered about the test kit, I should get new chemicals, but then again, it has dropped

Wasn't during a cycle or anything - established for 18 month's no major problems with it except keeping hard corals.

Thanks
    Wow that is a serious nitrate reduction. Like i said: wider and longer is better
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorKDS View Post
    I have wondered about the test kit, I should get new chemicals, but then again, it has dropped
    I've been burned, time and time again, with old kits, or reagents. I've recently thrown away unopened kits just because they are out of date. I'm sure you are doing better, if your readings dropped. I'd still get a new kit if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorKDS View Post
    except keeping hard corals.
    Laughing with you... not at you.. but I'LL BET!! Even if not 160, it seems as if the Nitrates were high.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Wow! I panicked and did water changes when the test showed 20. I do love the fuge, the tests have showed 0 for the last week or so. I started with dead rock and one small piece of LR for seed. I open the top and peek inside every couple of weeks to look in on what's growing inside. So far, it's just various slimes, but I'm holding out for something more substantial.

Reef keeping is SO cool!!

Thanks
    Keep your fingers crossed for sponges. They are the worlds best filters

D

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Tube/Fuge DSB Update

As of 3/23, my Nitrate's are now down to 20ppm

Attached is a picture of a change I made to avoid salt spray from the original setup. Adding this meant placing a 2x6 block of wood under the pipe to gain the height I needed. The overflow hole came in very handy when the drain line clogged with algae.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...B/100_1134.jpg

Thanks
    i dont know what is is but every video i watch has lagged sound and cutes the end off so i never get to see the point of the podcast

Thanks
    is that the integrated video in the first post?
    have you tried downloading the video file? i would recommend doing that...
    use the download link in the first post...
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    WOOO HOOO!!! I've got SPONGES!! Just checked the pipe this morning, first there has been a slime happily growing and getting thicker for a month or so. Now I see small white sponges....I think. They look like small cotton balls with a spiky thing at the tip. I assume this is the mouth. Any way, I haven't tested in a week or so, so I will give results tonight after I get time to test.

My nitrates have been holding at 5 or less, so maybe they will hit 0 today!!

Thanks
    Yes.. we sometimes (lazily) refer to them as pineapple sponges. They are Scypha sponges. A very neat little filtering critter.

Dave

Thanks

Scypha: A genus of marine sponges of the class Calcispongiae (calcareous sponges), characterized by a fingerlike body shape known as the syconoid type of structure. In the syconoid sponges, each “finger,” known as a radial canal, is perforated by many tiny pores through which water passes into the central cavity. The water exits through an oscule, or larger opening, at the tip. Scypha species may grow to about 2 or 3 cm (about 1 inch) in length.

Thanks
    That's COOL!! Exactly what they are, I actually have some in the BC8 that are getting close to a 3/8" long. The sponges in the pipe are much smaller, only an 1/8" or so., but there are a lot of them

Thanks
    I did my water tests today. It's been 10 days, since my last full test and water change. EVERYTHING was 0!! Even nitrates, which have always bounced between 5 and 20, depending on water changes. I changed it today just for grins, and because it's been over a week.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information