Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DIY Cryptic Tube Fuge - Video Podcast Episode 88

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I completed the project yesterday and I did with a 3inch pvc T and a 3to1 bushing. i made it so it hangs of the side of the tank. The tubes just barely touched the stand. I hooked up 2 of them (3 inch X 24) on a 37 gallon tall. I have very slow flow threw them because it will be a sea horse tank. Im not sure if such a slow flow is good? also i filled it with rubble just to under the drain elbow. Does rubble size mater? mine was pretty small? hot sure how much room there is for growth in the tube. If anything it will just be 15lbs more LR in the system.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I a;so would like to have pods grow in it. do you think the way I have it would work for pod growth?

Apprentice
    Thanks
    You will get some pod growth in it regardless. How much will depend on a ton of factors. The most important factor may be if you have a good population in your display tank to start with.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    cool. good to here. i need to get a culture going in the tank. any ideas how to kick it off?

Thanks
    does this require slow flow or does not matter as I stil have fairly high nitrates, i made mine 60 inches and diameter of 4 inches, 3-4 inches of aragonite on bottom and then pieces of live rock all the way to the top, but my flow is fairly fast

thanks for any thoughts
    macsturm
    "The label said Win95 or better so I bought a Mac"
    Tank Type: Mixed Reef
    Display: 125G (140lbs LR, 3" Sandbed(175lbs))
    Sump: 20G (2" sb)(cheato) & 8G subsump (6"sb)(10lbs LR)
    Skimmer: ER RS-135 and saline solutions unit
    Return: remote fuge with mag pump
    Overflow: Lifereef
    Heater: black strealth
    Phosphate Reactor: bag of GFO
    running Carbon Media 24/7
    RO: Costco
    Salt: IO
    Light: 72" 3x175 MH and 2 60" VH)
    Sump Light: 7x12

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macsturm View Post
    does this require slow flow or does not matter as I stil have fairly high nitrates, i made mine 60 inches and diameter of 4 inches, 3-4 inches of aragonite on bottom and then pieces of live rock all the way to the top, but my flow is fairly fast

thanks for any thoughts
    macsturm
    if you have room, you may want to consider a remote deep sand bed.

i suggest reading EVERYTHING in this thread. even the links ...

remote dsb
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    thank you very much for the link, I think I will try it after I get back from Germany, right now, I am trying a diy sulfer denitrator, also using Fauna Marin Ultralife (Highly active clay minerals directly bind diverse nitrogen compunds and phosphate, which can easily be removed by protein skimming. UltraLife is not based on zeolites thus it may also act as a carrier particle for nutrients and bacteria.) And also trying vodka dosing which is also supposed to reduce nitrates and phosphates.

So far I am 3 weeks into the vodka dosing and at 1.5 ml(very slow) and everything still looks healthy

4 days into the Ultralife, and it has definitely made the tank look clearer

and 2 weeks into sulphur denitrator, but I am guessing it might take a month to populate, yes I do have it going through aragonite container after the sulphur.

I am probably doing way to much at the same time

thanks again

Mark
    "The label said Win95 or better so I bought a Mac"
    Tank Type: Mixed Reef
    Display: 125G (140lbs LR, 3" Sandbed(175lbs))
    Sump: 20G (2" sb)(cheato) & 8G subsump (6"sb)(10lbs LR)
    Skimmer: ER RS-135 and saline solutions unit
    Return: remote fuge with mag pump
    Overflow: Lifereef
    Heater: black strealth
    Phosphate Reactor: bag of GFO
    running Carbon Media 24/7
    RO: Costco
    Salt: IO
    Light: 72" 3x175 MH and 2 60" VH)
    Sump Light: 7x12

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi rarelyseriuosb and to TR.

I would suggest Ocean Pods - Aquacultured Copepods for the hobbyist for pods. They are also a TR sponsor. You may also want to listen to this podcast http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/po...sode-69-a.html where Rob interviews Dr Adelaide Rhodes from Ocean Pods. The podcast has tons of information and is definitely not a Commercial.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Hi rarelyseriuosb and to TR.

I would suggest Ocean Pods - Aquacultured Copepods for the hobbyist for pods. They are also a TR sponsor. You may also want to listen to this podcast http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/po...sode-69-a.html where Rob interviews Dr Adelaide Rhodes from Ocean Pods. The podcast has tons of information and is definitely not a Commercial.
    Good point Carmie. I think i am going to order some pods from ocean pods to boost my tank populations. Can't hurt at any rate.
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    thanks for the help. i just noticed today i have stuff crawling around the fuge. yay. but not sure they are pods. they are about 1/16 in size and seem to crawl.

Thanks
    Oh really! That is wonderful.

Unfortunately i had to dismantle mine. I took down the nano tank and moved everything into my 100 gallon. But when i dumped the rocks from the tube fuge they were covered with white sponges and strange critters. I don't have it hooked up anymore, but i might attach it to the sump of the 100, just for entertainment. It was working quite well on the nano though.
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Serious,

That sounds like pods! Sometimes you get so many they seem to cover the glass.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    woo hoo I have my ecosystem going. I just had an idea. I was thinking of taking a SCWD and using it to feed the fuge and then swich to create a curent in the tank. It would be cool to put a fuge on either side of the tank and put the SCWD between them creating a alternating current from side to side. But the boss vitoed that idea because on of pipes would be visible. So Ill put 2 together and just put the other sid of the SCWD feeding the other side of the tank via flex hose.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rarelyseriousb View Post
    woo hoo I have my ecosystem going. I just had an idea. I was thinking of taking a SCWD and using it to feed the fuge and then swich to create a curent in the tank. It would be cool to put a fuge on either side of the tank and put the SCWD between them creating a alternating current from side to side. But the boss vitoed that idea because on of pipes would be visible. So Ill put 2 together and just put the other sid of the SCWD feeding the other side of the tank via flex hose.
    This sounds like a good idea. Please post some pix when you get it up and running.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    ok will do. but I make no promises I am an aw full procrastinator. I need to find a reducing bard fitting from 5/8 to 1/2.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rarelyseriousb View Post
    But the boss vitoed that idea because on of pipes would be visible. So Ill put 2 together and just put the other sid of the SCWD feeding the other side of the tank via flex hose.
    LOL!

Would "the boss" be a spouse-like person or a fish?

I dig your point though. I thought my boss was going to kill me when i siphoned 30 gallons of salt water on the living room floor!
    Samuel

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    lol the boss is the wife. like the old saying goes if mama aint happy aint nobody happy. lol . just kidding she is sweet. I guess we all have nice understanding spouses or we could never be in this expensive time consuming hobby.

Thanks
    I guess we all have nice understanding spouses or we could never be in this expensive time consuming hobby.
    This is very true. We need a "Reefer's Spouse Appreciation Day"
    Samuel

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hallmark would probably be happy to start it.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Itunes not downloading video

Itunes has stopped downloading this video and a number of episodes. This video stopped at 114MB. IS there any other way of getting this video? I really want to see what this fuge looks like and how it works.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think that there is a problem with the downloads. I thought it had been fixed a few weeks ago but enough people have said something about it today that I think it has broken.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i can not even attach it to an email and send it though ANY of my email accounts.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    new instant video added to this thread
    you can now view this video right here in the post live

see post #1 to view the video
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

What about abs

Is it safe to use ABS for this project. I know in the construction trade it is used almost interchangeably i just didn't know if the ABS would leach chemicals into the water. I built a 4" tube fuge out of ABS and have still not put it into use because i can't get complete info. One guy says yes, one guy says no, and so on and so on. oh and by the way way i am new to this forum but it is great, i have liked the podcasts and i look forward to seeing the new ones are downloaded!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    welcome bud.

I lifted this from a fellow countryman of yours, actually, same state.
    you might be related..lol

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and thought I would share my experience to this subject. I'm a Civil Engineer and a Reefer. SCH 40 IS used in Potable Water systems. I design new buildings and onsite water systems with it every day. ABS does NOT have an antibacterial leaching agent in it. It is the number ONE material used for on-site sewer treatment systems (septic systems) in the US. WHY is this important? If your home is not connected to the sewer treatment plant you are disposing of the wastwater in your home in your own septic type treatment system.

Just like a fish tank an onsite sewer septic system must allow anaerobic bacteria to devour the nitrates in a septic system and allow the water to leach and filter into the soil until it is purified and diposited back into the ground water where it is used again for potable water. ANY antibacterial agent would kill this process and your septic system would cease to function. Federal quidelines require ALL pipes and adhesives designed for those pipes used in NATURAL sewer and waste treatment to be completely inert for this reason.

Why is ABS black and SCH 40 white? Amoung other things the pipes are color coded. You don't want a plumber making repairs in your home to accidentaly connect the sewer to the water system. Keep in mind these pipes are design for Human consumption and waste and color coded for ease in constrcution and maintenance. Even though we are using them in an aquatic environment, they are functioning in the same way and for the same purposes that they were designed.
    i hope that helps

Vquilibrium Productions

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information