Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Cryptic Tube Fuge - Video Podcast Episode 88

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jl7854 View Post
    Has making these Podcasts available through bittorrent been considered. It could ease the server load.
    yes, but since i cant track downloads and i loose total control over the file (incase it needs to be updated or fixed) i do not allow or supported the distribution using bit torrent.

these delays usually clear up within a few days
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    I had no trouble getting it this morning. It downloaded quickly (for 130MB). I only got part of it on my two attempts previous days.

Thanks
    Well I am hoping this works out well. I have a 6 gallon cryptic fuge with about 10 or so lbs of LR in it on my tank and I believe its the only thing keeping my fish alive considering that I have a hard time getting water changes taken care of.
    -Matt
    My Tank Journal
    Visit my website: The House of Move

Thanks
    Well I am hoping this works out well. I have a 6 gallon cryptic fuge with about 10 or so lbs of LR in it on my tank and I believe its the only thing keeping my fish alive considering that I have a hard time getting water changes taken care of.
    did you build a tube fuge for you tank?
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Thanks
    No. I built mine out of a 20H tank. Observe: sump in progress on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    -Matt
    My Tank Journal
    Visit my website: The House of Move

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Here is the tube fuge i made from the podcast

Hey All,
    Well I watched the podcast and was so motivated by it I went out to the store that afternoon and got some supplies. Here is the version i made, the only difference is i found a 3" piece for the top that had a spout. I currently have a piece of a bottle i washed and cut up to use as a top. thanks for the video podcast it was great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sgt Majors; 01-29-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks
    First of all WELCOME TO TR Srg Majors!

Oh hey that is good to hear. I am flattered

I like the idea of the top. And since you have the black hood, it should hide behind there quite well. When did you set it up and what did you fill it with? Also, i don't see the hose from the powerhead in the images. How did you hook that up?
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome!

For the powerhead I am using a minijet 606 like the one in the podcast, and i also set my hoses up similarly, using 45 degree bends. i still have to mess around with the powerhead and where i want it in the tank. I filled it with some Fiji LR from my LFS. It hasnt been running too long as of yet. HOpe this answers everything.

Thanks
    to hide it, couldn't run the tube through the output spout?
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Sgt Majors,

to TR.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    good point rob. After i had mine set up i was thinking that since the output spout is so large relative to the amount of water coming from it, you could string the hose up through there. This might also save you from having to drill through the damn PVC. There was a part in the video i cut out since it would have reduced my (imaginary) respect and threatened my ego. When drilling through the top the drill bit got caught and spun the cap around slashing my hand. Dumb thing.

But to the point, yes i think you could string the hose up through the 45 output. I understand your concern about where to place the powerhead Sgt. Mine is just hanging down behind a piece of LR.
    Samuel

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome CarmieJo! I go to OSU so always good to see a fellow Buckeye.

well just for fun here i took a picture of how i have it situated, i have the pump running it in the upper right corner, and in the other shot you can see the tube and the sweet looking plastic i zip tied on to take care of the bubbles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrivian View Post
    I need numbers. So, i have some real data for you all regarding this device.

Nitrate levels before the tube fuge:
    10 10 10 15 15 10 5 10 15 10 10 15 20 15 20 10

The fluctuation is due mostly to water changes. These numbers were taken about twice a week although sometimes i missed a date.

Nitrate levels after the tube fuge:
    15 10 10 10 5 5 5 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

[/B]
    Have you had any change in the amount of hair algea in the tank? I have a similar problem in my tank and was thinking of doing this.

Thanks

To TR, GTinNH

Always cool to find another NH reefer.
    ~David~

300+gal multitank, seagrass, mixed reef, clown anemone, refugium, and sump.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graveyardworm View Post

To TR, GTinNH

Always cool to find another NH reefer.

Thank you, although I have been lurker for a little while. Yeah we are few and far between in NH arnt we?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi GTinNH and to TR.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTinNH View Post
    Have you had any change in the amount of hair algea in the tank? I have a similar problem in my tank and was thinking of doing this.
    I pulled much of the hair algae out and so far it has not grown back. I will keep you posted but to date, it seems to be working to keep it down.

oh, and WELCOME TO TR!
    Samuel

Thanks
    Thank you Astrivian, I too was motivated by your video and the low cost of this mod, I went out to my local Home Depot(Canada) and I purchased the parts, but I was able to find the flat ends and I used the same part as Sgt Major did for the outflow, (less drilling/cutting etc). Mine will be between 48-60 inches tall and is a 4 " pipe. I just need to glue it together and pick up some more LR. A local LFS has fiji on sale to clear for $3.00/lb they need to make space for their new Fusion LR.

I was able to find a stand of sorts it holds the end piece perfectly its called a toilet floor flange. It would still be a good idea to attach it to the tank stand just to ensure no accidents with bungie cord or something

thanks

Macsturm
    "The label said Win95 or better so I bought a Mac"
    Tank Type: Mixed Reef
    Display: 125G (140lbs LR, 3" Sandbed(175lbs))
    Sump: 20G (2" sb)(cheato) & 8G subsump (6"sb)(10lbs LR)
    Skimmer: ER RS-135 and saline solutions unit
    Return: remote fuge with mag pump
    Overflow: Lifereef
    Heater: black strealth
    Phosphate Reactor: bag of GFO
    running Carbon Media 24/7
    RO: Costco
    Salt: IO
    Light: 72" 3x175 MH and 2 60" VH)
    Sump Light: 7x12

Apprentice
    Thanks
    macsturm, any chance you could tkae a pic of this toilet floor flange, so I could see what you mean by that?

I am thinking about taking on this project as well. I think I am going to spray paint mine black.

Astrivian thanks for the vid as well as the updates in this thread. Oh and stop neglecting the cat. Poor thing. You can tell it's starving for attention, lol.

Jon

Thanks
    I will see what I can do, life as usual is busy
    "The label said Win95 or better so I bought a Mac"
    Tank Type: Mixed Reef
    Display: 125G (140lbs LR, 3" Sandbed(175lbs))
    Sump: 20G (2" sb)(cheato) & 8G subsump (6"sb)(10lbs LR)
    Skimmer: ER RS-135 and saline solutions unit
    Return: remote fuge with mag pump
    Overflow: Lifereef
    Heater: black strealth
    Phosphate Reactor: bag of GFO
    running Carbon Media 24/7
    RO: Costco
    Salt: IO
    Light: 72" 3x175 MH and 2 60" VH)
    Sump Light: 7x12

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordonious View Post
    macsturm, any chance you could tkae a pic of this toilet floor flange, so I could see what you mean by that?

I am thinking about taking on this project as well. I think I am going to spray paint mine black.

Astrivian thanks for the vid as well as the updates in this thread. Oh and stop neglecting the cat. Poor thing. You can tell it's starving for attention, lol.

Jon
    LOL The cat both loves and hates that i am getting into this hobby. She digs watching the swimming critters, but not the DIY stuff that does not involve her
    Samuel

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I was definitely inspired by this podcast, it was/is the first one i've watched.

here's my situation:
    I have a 55g all hang-on tank that has been up for nearly 5 years and i've never seen a copepod

for a while, I had a phosphate problem and i bought a Two Little Fishies PhosBan Reactor, which is basically the same structure as the tube fuge. Now that I am no longer using the reactor, I was thinking I could use it as a tube fuge.

I have a maxijet 900 (i think- pretty small), and my goal would be to establish a Pod population in the tank. How would you recommend cranking the powerhead? If I put a bottle of copepods or live mysis in the reactor, would it be likely that they would reproduce and have some drizzle out into the tank, perhaps enough to have a mandarin survive?

thanks for the idea!

Apprentice
    Thanks
    That might be a start in the right direction. How much LR do you have currently? It will take a while for the pods you get to populate the tank. It also depends on how much LR you keep in the tube fuge. One about the size of the one constructed in the video on a 55 would probably not produce enough pods for a 55.

In short it would help, but it would need to be big, your tank would need to be healthy and have lots of LR in it as well, and then... with caution a Mandarin might be possible.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi mdcorcoran, to TR.

I agree that a fuge of this size would probably not give you enough to maintain a mandarin.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Apprentice
    Thanks
    If you have thoughts of mandarins though it would be a step in the right direction especailly if you never see any pods. It would also increase the health of your tank. I've wanted Mandarins for years and have been slowly addeding to my system to make it safe from them. I think I will be getting a breeding pair in the next three days! I'm so excited.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information