Thread: Clams, lighting, & bulb temp

Apprentice
    Thanks

Clams, lighting, & bulb temp

Believe it or not, this is a clam question!

Work with me on this theory and let me know your thoughts:

Assertions:
    1. Clams love light.
    2. Clams feed on nutrients in the water column.
    3. Clams have symbiotic algae in their mantles.
    4. Algae grows better on light in the 5000K - 65000K spectrum than the 10K(K)-20K(K) bulbs we use over our reefs.
    5. Refugiums are intended to take up nutrients from the water column.
    6. Refugiums work best under 5000K - 6500K spectrum to help with algae growth.

Theory: Would a hardier clam such as a Derasa do well in a refugium under 5000K bulbs?

The refugium in question is not a small one like in a sump or hang-on, but a 15g (eventually 25g) tank.

My intention is to have a fully functional refugium, but also make it an aesthetic addition to the display, not merely an organic cesspool.
    George
    Smyrna, GA
    25g reef
    Coming Soon: 60g Ocea Cube (24"^3)

Thanks
    as long as the lighting is intense enough for it.
    most refugium light is simple PC bulbs or something.

but yes, a clam should do fine in a fuge under that spectrum, as coral will..
    i can say how the coloration will be affected.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    I really hope Greg (Saxman) chimes in.. he's a clam guy. Though, I have had some experience.

Yes, derasa do okay under lower lighting. However, they do still have photosynthetic needs. I'm not sure if 5000K would work. I've been told, rule of thumb that 10K is in and around the right lighting for clams.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    10k IMO will work just as well for macros and clams as 6500k of the same bulb type/wattage, and is a little more aesthetically pleasing. I could post a link to another site where clams and macros are featured in the same tank just not sure if it may be agianst the UA. BTW in nature clams and plants are found in similar if not the same environments. So it would be natural to display them together.
    ~David~

300+gal multitank, seagrass, mixed reef, clown anemone, refugium, and sump.

Thanks
    David,

Great reply and again, welcome to the Talking Reef. I've seen you on RC and other haunts (though you've yet to post on the Boston Reefers ) and am happy to have you here, sharing with us.

I would love to see that site with the clams and macro. For the record, links to other sites are more than welcome as long as they benefit the membership here. Taking people to other sites in the spirit of education is wonderful and certainly not frowned upon by Rob or the other staff. Blatant advertizing and such is pretty much the threshold. Other than that, as long as we all respect each other and keep this place a happy, salty world....it's allllll goooood

Dave

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I was also thinking that since a clam's need for light is to feed its symbiotic algae that a spectrum closer to 5000K-6500K might serve them even better than 10K since it has all the algae-friendly spectrum spikes that are undesirable in a display tank.

We'll see what happens. I'm going to move one derasa over there this week-end and watch it closely.
    George
    Smyrna, GA
    25g reef
    Coming Soon: 60g Ocea Cube (24"^3)

Thanks
    George,

There are a couple of good books about clams out there. Knopp's Giant Clams is one, but is getting "aged" (though his information is good). Renee (SeahorseDreams) mentioned another that I have to get. Otherwise, I honestly respect and often agree with my friends at Wet Web Media (Calfo, Fenner, Pro et alia). Their vault o' tridacnid info lives in and around here:

TridacLgtgFAQs

Dave

PS.. funny...first post on that link referrs to "Giant Clams and Color Temperature".

Thanks
    Here's the link, Reef Central Online Community - 50 Gallon Marcoalgae tank Another plus, Sarah Lardizibal has posted to this thread as well.

I am registered with Boston Reefers, but sounds like you already know that. Unfortunately most of their meetings seem to be south of Boston, a little to far away. Bring more of em closer to the border or even into Southern NH, I'd love to be participating member. About as far south as I get is Aqua Addicts in Salem NH, and even thats an hour drive.
    ~David~

300+gal multitank, seagrass, mixed reef, clown anemone, refugium, and sump.

Thanks
    Thanks for the link kind sir... going to read now. After the macro podcast here, and reading more of Sarah's writing on RC and other sites, I'm becoming her #1 fan thanks again!

Yeah... W. Nottingham is kinda up there. You've actually had Winter this year. In any case, regardless of attendance at meetings and such, feel free to post away on the board.

Dave

Thanks
    thanx for sharing the knowledge u guys

Thanks
    for zooxanthellate organisms (clams, corals, etc), 10k K is the optimum color temperature.

that being said, plants such as macro (and nuisance algae) appreciate the lower temps 5k - 6.5k K, but do fine at 10k. we have 10k/03 systems that macro abounds in. as a matter of fact, one particular system we have is the "if we want to get something to grow, we stick it in there" tank.

personally, i'd see to the clam's needs first. if nothing else, you can mix the 10k in with your current lighting. bear in mind that clams require relatively calm water which can be trouble in terms of nuisance algae.
    Greg

Thanks
    There he be Take a holiday there bud?

Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP View Post
    There he be Take a holiday there bud?

Dave
    well...not exactly. Renee decided to share her cold with me, so i was AFK for a couple of days, and work has been nuts (yes, i'm a naughty boy and post a lot from here), so my puter time has suffered a bit.

as a matter of fact, i'm pretty much out the door to go inspect some relays that are being built for use on a Japanese spy satellite...the fun never stops.
    Greg

Thanks
    Hmmmmmmmmm...... China blows up their old weather satellite.... Ya.. and that was the mission...and now Sax-dude has to make a quick trip to work with the Japanese program... WHO, by the way, were the first to demand an explanation from Beijing... Wayyyy too 007 for me bro.

D

Thread Information