Thread: Maxijet Mod

Thanks

Maxijet Mod

Was bored this weekend.. so I modified a Maxijet 1200.

This mod most certainly improved the flow of this powerhead. It is as quick and simple a modification as I've ever done. Just use a saw to cut off the nozzle end of the powerhead and drill some more holes on the intake. This thing is churning the water like crazy in my sump with the curing Marco Rocks.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Crispy Reef Monkey **MOD** Phurst's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice! Certainly more simple than the OTHER maxijet mod. I've got a spare Aquaclear powerhead laying around, I might try somthing similar to get more diffuse flow.

Thanks
    ah.. but how well does it work...
    oh yeah, you can take a video...
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    oh yeah, you can take a video...
    hahahaha, Rob you are to funny!!!

I can tell you how well it works, I have one that I use every time I have to take one of my 6100 out for cleaning.
    It does work really well, I dont have how to measure the output flow but I bet you are pushing 2 to 3 times the original volume. The only problem is: as you cut out the output "nozzle" the flow does not have a direction and if you are using a wavemaker the flow can go either way everytime the pump starts, like to the left or to the right side of the opening and never strait like when you have the nozzle.

Gustavo

Thanks
    I have to apologize. It seems that my corporate mail servers are NOT sending me email from Talking reef. It may be listed as SPAM. I guess I will have to manually check my User CP to ensure that I don't miss messages.

Rob, yeah..it does work. It is pushing a TON of water in my sump where I'm curing the Marco Rock. Yes, as Gustavo said, there is no "directional control". Which, in some cases, may not be desireable to some. However, I rather like it. I physically turn this pump on and off to change direction of flow every couple days or so. I would imagine, that when used on a wavemaker of sorts, it could be a great way to create "erratic flow" in a system.

Last word of advice. While some may have powerheads in their systems that are close to corals etc. You may not want to do this with this mod. The flow is very strong and could adversly affect your corals (like Neo said in another conversation...literally blow the flesh off of it). You may want to use it to direct flow in those "dead spots" in the tank, or keep it some distance from the actual coral colonies so it is diffused some as it passes through the water column.

As far as I'm concerned, it is doing a stellar job at pushing the water through my very lacy, porous Marco Rock and ensuring that I'm not going to have trapped biological matter in the rock itself. I'm sure it would also be a sweet rig for mixing salt water!

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thread Information