Thread: Your favorite Glue and why?

Thanks

Your favorite Glue and why?

I still consider myself a newb.. My nanocube is around 1 yr old. I'm just curious as to what everyone uses to glue their corals down and if they have to take out their live rock when using their favorite glue. It seems allot of people have pretty elaborate set ups and I'm noticing with the nano cube I have, that with the super glue.. I take the live rock out, glue the corals, and put it back in the water.. which means I have to take apart my design each time...I appreciate any feedback Thank You, Katherine

Thanks
    i do plan on covering coral fragging more in the future, but here is the short version
    for stony coral, you simply use super glue gel (not regular) the gel is thinker and will hold fast. you can frag the piece in or out of the display, i personally remove the colony and cut it with a dremel where i can.

for soft coral such as leathers, xenia and mushrooms the methods vary, but you can not glue them, the glue wont stick to them. you usualyl have to use something like wedding veil, or rubberbands to attach them, but the methods here vary depending on the type of soft coral
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    "loctite" superglue gel for stonies, and i prefer the toothpick or rubberband method for softies.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    ya know, i have tried the loctite glue, and i wasn't fond of the container ( if im remembering the right one) it always dried up on me and it "seemed" like there wasn't that much glue in there

personally i use dollar store tubes, 3 for a dollar, i go in and get like 5 packages and they last a while. and the caps do a good job of keeping the from drying out between uses

as for the toothpick and rubberband, here is a video on how to do that with a Xenia
    http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/po...sode-29-a.html
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Apprentice
    Thanks
    loctite super glue gell,
    10g or .35oz for $4.50.

it dries better underwater, not as runny as krazy glue gel. its just a better deal all together.

SPS Reefer / TR Admin lReef lKeeper's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah, pretty much 10seconds under water and you can do what you want to with the frag !! i really like it for that reason. it is only around $3 or so here, so i stock up on 3-4 tubes at a time. i just use a drop or two on my fraggs and they dont seem to have any die off like the glues that you have to use around the whole base of the frag to get it to stay in place. just a drop or two under the branch, and it is good to go.
    lReef lKeeper (Bobby) Admin and Reefer

Water ...
    Custom 4x2x1 60 gallon, 40B sump

Equipment ...
    6x54w HO T5 fixture, 300+g rated Frankenskimmer, ATO, 3 Media Reactors (1 p04, 1 N03, 1 Carbon)

www.lmas.org

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    yups, i use the toothpick method for softies too.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    3 buks only for a 10g tube? holy cow, that would have saved me so much mula over the years. darn

Thanks
    I also buy the dollar store glue. I buy some every time I go. Probably have about a dozen packages.

Thread Information