Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wavemaker types and usages by TR peeps

Thanks

Wavemaker types and usages by TR peeps

I wanted to create a thread on wavemakers and variable flow controls people use in their aquariums. From what i gather, there are several options ranging from timers to unique devices like the Wave2k. What kinds of things have you all done and how do you think they work?
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Thanks
    we have been running a SCWD for years on the reef. works quite well, never misses a beat, and is quiet. we'll be using them in at least two more projects that are in the works.
    Greg

Thanks
    I was just looking at the SCWDs online and was going to ask about them. They mechanically alter the flow right? Do you have yours on a closed loop?
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Thanks
    the one that is running is on the main return, but we're planning on running one on a closed loop for Renee's 50 gal pent SH setup...we've actually tested it and it works nicely.
    Greg

Thanks
    the only thing i used was a SCWD too, i liked it..
    dont have it hooked up currently but i thinking about putting back on
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    I am planning on using the Corallife 8 outlet power strip with timer (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/aquat...SU-01690.html). I use one now for my light setup and it has been running my lights (MH when ON, Fuge bulb when OFF) for over a year now, kind of like, well, clockwork

Only four outlets are controllable by the timer (2 are on and the other two are off and then switch depending on the timer). It can do as low as 15 minute intervals, although I'll probably set mine to every 1/2 hour or 45 minutes. I'm planning on running one Tunze 6060 and a maxijet on two outlets and a Tunze 6025 and Tunze 6045 on the other two outlets.

The tabs on the dial are hard to manipulate, but once they are set, you are good to go.

Brian
    www.projectdibs.com and www.talkingreef.com - Finding A Better Way Together

Thanks
    I have a Natural Wave timer with 3 maxijets. It works well. Sometimes the maxijet will click before the impeller starts the right direction. Making you think you have a huge mantis problem.

Thanks
    How quickly do the SCWDs alternate the flow?
    Samuel

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrivian View Post
    How quickly do the SCWDs alternate the flow?
    Since it's driven by the water flow, that's dependent on the water pressure you put through it, to a point. They operate mechanically using the water flow to drive a screw.

I used to use one on my 75. If I recall right, it was 5-7 seconds or so for me at about 600-700 gph, but I never actually timed it.
    George
    Smyrna, GA
    25g reef
    Coming Soon: 60g Ocea Cube (24"^3)

Thanks
    yes, as George alluded to, the faster the water flow threw it, the faster it will switch
    mine was about 5 seconds at 800-900 GPH
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    yes, as George alluded to, the faster the water flow threw it, the faster it will switch
    mine was about 5 seconds at 800-900 GPH
    Oh okay, so you could use these to make waves if you wanted to. One thing i was listening to on reefvideos' Anthony Calfo video 2, is that turning on and off powerheads can really reduce the life of the motors. Has anyone noticed that?

Has anyone tried the Wave2K? This thing seems really cool but it will not fit on my tank.
    Samuel

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wow, that looks like a very good idea, and i dont see how it could ever clog.

However i wouldnt imagine you would get a whole lot of flow through that.

Im planning on using an oceans motions 4-way on my 120. I looked at the squid but from what i saw they have a limit much lower than my pump (3600) or something??? i just like the option of getting different drums for different flow patterns.

anyhow, alot of other people i know use the OM 4-way on their tanks (generally the larger tanks)
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Fish- 1 Percula Clown, Black fin Shrimp Goby

Clown and Goby are just chilling in the NanoCube 12

120 almost ready for re-cycle

Thanks
    Oh that looks pretty cool josh. Wow, those are not cheap though. Do you think you could use them to create waves? I am really biased toward waves after seeing the Wave2k.

I am hoping to be able to alternate the flow from one side of the tank to the other to create the back and forth effect of a wave.
    Samuel

Thanks
    yes, the devices like OM or SCWD's are better than using timers.
    as noted they reduce the life. some pumps are designed for this like the MJ pumps are, others like the SEIOs are not designed for wavemakes and you can hurt them.

designed or not, frequent starts and stops can have negative affects on the pump, and IME, its not the motor, but the casing. the impeller tends to shake in there, and it will start to pop into the sides and wear away at the inner casing, once it breaks through you get water in there and fry the motor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPlankis View Post
    I am planning on using the Corallife 8 outlet power strip with timer ...

Only four outlets are controllable by the timer (2 are on and the other two are off and then switch depending on the timer). It can do as low as 15 minute intervals, although I'll probably set mine to every 1/2 hour or 45 minutes. I'm planning on running one Tunze 6060 and a maxijet on two outlets and a Tunze 6025 and Tunze 6045 on the other two outlets.
    Brian,
    What size tank are you using those pumps in? I am planning to use the same timer for my 90g but wondering what pumps would be best. I was thinking of just alternating two tunze 6060 but is that too much for a 90?

I posted the question in this thread too with some other notes

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yess, they are not cheap, however i will be getting one for (only lol) $275, which is cheap to me because they usually sell for about $500.

At any price, im getting one.
    And the reason i am biased towards them is because i do not see how it can get clogged, well i can, but the scwd seems easier to clog to me.

And i do not remember off hand how fast the current switches, but i think the only thing that will have true waves is the wave2k, wave in like, 1.5 inch swell kind of thing. Im more into the alternating current myself.
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    Are the wave makers for bigger tanks some then bigger then say my 29gal?

Thanks
    oh another question I have is about the SCWD how does that work I went to marinedepot.com but didn't understand. The pump you plug into it is a pump like the one I have returning water from sump to my DT? Does it have suction cups how does it sit in your tank? What pump could I use to power it for my 29gal?

Thanks
    The wave maker can be used for any size tank. The limit to GPH is 1300gph i believe. someone correct me if im wrong. I really like the SCWD and i cant wait untill i get off me behind and install mine. I think its a good investment for the cost and is very affective.

The SCWD mounts to your tank however you want it too. All you have to do is make alittle hanger for it. You could use it inline with your return pump. For your 29gal tank you will want a 3/4 inch bulk head which is 300gph and depending on your head loss and without the SCWD you would want a return pump that is around 300-350 I use a 300 on my tank which is a 29gal and it is perfect for the return. However i dont have the SCWD hooked up. Once you add that into the mix you will have a greater head loss so im not sure about the pump size then.

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to pass along an update, the 6060 CANNOT be run on the Corallife timer unless it runs for at least an hour between shutoffs. So I'm just going to keep my 6060 on all the time to be safe. More info:

I asked Roger from Tunze if I could run my 6060 on the Corallife and he said it needs to run for at least 1 hour before being shut off to prevent a shorter motor life. So I'm not going to risk my 6060 on a wavemaker.

Here is the thread:
    Reef Central Online Community - Tunze 6060 and Red Sea WaveMaster Pro

I read that the 6025 and 6045 (their new nanostreams are able to be used every 15 minutes on a wavemaker, so I'll just use those on the wavemaker.

A quote from Roger: "The start up wears the drive unit, this can lead to the pump overheating. In theory a fifteen minute min should give a five year life."

In this thread:
    Reef Central Online Community - Tunze Nano thread

I'll be running my 6045 and maxijet (and possibly 6025) on the wavemaker on half hour intervals.

Brian

Thanks
    Out of curiosity, does anyone try pointing powerheads at each other to get chaotic flow?
    Samuel

Thanks
    Yep, I do it all the time! I have my return flow, a MJ900 and my Tunze 6060 all aimed at the same spot in the tank to create chaotic flow.

Brian

Thanks
    yep, i do this also..
    i believe its one of the methods i described in the powerhead podcast

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wow,. i missed that, i guess i have to listen

I GET PAID ON THURSDAY!!! (why iz thiz exciting?? bcuz it meanz i can have the fundaage to pay for ze OM 4-way, then i simply hook it all up and im done, whooohoooo-ness)
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    lol, contrats fry on the OM.

My in-laws got me a Mag 24 pump for Xmas. So now i am all that much closer to completing the sump. Very cool. (my wife, who bought me my new tank, got me a masonic ring...i guess she is getting tired of me talking about what new fish stuff i need ).

Oh, on a side note, i checked with the Wave2k peeps and they said he makes a special bracket for the center unit for glass tanks with a eurobrace around the top. i will see if i can get some pics of this, but i am really into the device. If i can, i will definitely go for a center unit.
    Samuel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information