Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Newbie

Thanks

Another Newbie

Ok, apologies in advance. I have not been really thorough in searching this forum and I have not yet listened to the podcasts. I am off to do that as soon as I finish this post.

I am completely new in the world of aquariums. My only experience in the past was a beta in a goldfish bowl. After years of begging my wife, she finally buckled and allowed me to purchase a tank. I got a 55 gallon tank with stand, second hand. The tank came with no lights and no accessories except for a Tetra Second Nature WDF 4000.

My goal with the tank was to have coral, anenomes and a few fish. After talking to a few people at the fish stores, I was quickly slapped with the price tag and passed out. I think I am going to try a community tank with a few fish, mostly dead rock, but a few live rock.

Now for my questions... It took years of pleading to get this tank, and if I spend $400 bucks on a light, my wife will quickly terminate the project. Would a cheap hood light with a 40 watt bulb or two suffice for what I am doing? Or is the rock going to require the 200 to 300 watts I have read about? I was hoping I could get away with spending under $100 for lights.

I cleaned the filter that came with the tank and it works. I have no idea, however, if it is approperate for my tank. By the 4000 designation, am I right to assume its for a 40 gallon tank? Does anyone know this is a good filter?

I am being told that I should run at least one, if not two filters for the tank (at around $60 a pop). If this is true, should I just spend the $200 and go with a wet/dry trickle filter? I am also getting polar suggestions on the use of canister and undergravel filter.

Any help would be appriceated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi gerh,

Where are you in NC? I am near Raleigh. Light is important in a reef tank. For a FOWLR tank you would be OK with a fluorescent light but you will want to upgrade eventually. But, you definitely don't need a MH light to keep LR. You could also look for used lights, you could maybe find PC's for a $100.

I don't know what filters they are trying to sell you but I would not buy them at this time. I know that you are probably listening to podcasts as I type but start with some of the earlier ones, they will help you with the basic knowledge. Wet/Dry filters are OK for fish only tanks but there are better ways of filtering your tank. You are on the right track with the LR. And starting with mostly base rock is fine.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I live in Asheville. I hope its not as cold out there as it is here.

So, for a FOWLR, how many watts am I going to need? One bulb or two? And for the moron question of the hour, will a standard shop light ballast power the tank bulbs?

Thanks
    Gerh,
    i woudl like to say "welcome" to Talkingreef...

there are SO many thing here, i could talk for hours... oh wait, i have..
    and i even recorded all of it.

and this exact reason is why i started Talkingreef.

here is my advice to you..
    sit back at wait.. set a hard limit, give yourself a delay time, for example, make yourself wait 6 weeks... or 8 weeks, before you buy one thing for this system.

take that time to do as much research as possible.

the think with salt water tanks, both FO or reef, they are loads of fun, and cost loads of money.. they are expensive, thats just the way it is. you can cut costs here and there effectively (this is discussed in one of the podcasts) and you can spread the cost out over time. just make sure you are prepared to commit and follow through on it, thats all..

and on your journey if you have any specific questions, well thats what were here for..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    WELCOME ABOARD
    USA

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sweet, we like s. reminds us of an easier time in life when gas was close to half a dollar, movies cost $3 & shouting the dudes a round of drinks cost next to nothing, yep, welcome aboard to the TR purple heart with 5 finger cluster shagan Wagan fan club *breath*
    "im a dope"

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Wow, you could afford to buy a round of drinks? Last time I ordered a long sland ice tea it cost me $10.

Ok, so I've listened to some podcasts and I am impressed. Let me know if I understand this correctly...

I should just ditch the idea of purchasing a mechanical filter. Instead, just buy enough base rock, live rock, live sand and a skimmer. And this should work as long as I dont have a high fish population?

As far as limits on spending, taking my time is not a problem at all. I was forcasting the purchase of fish 4+ months from now.

As for lighting, the live rock should be fine for now with 2 40 watt bulbs?

Thanks
    My turn, My turn.... WELCOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gerh View Post
    I should just ditch the idea of purchasing a mechanical filter. Instead, just buy enough base rock, live rock, live sand and a skimmer. And this should work as long as I dont have a high fish population?
    Correct.... and read up on the various skimmers available. Listen to Rob's skimmer podcast(s) and don't buy a Skilter

As far as limits on spending, taking my time is not a problem at all. I was forcasting the purchase of fish 4+ months from now.
    By then, if you have the LR and such in place, you should be cycled... and, if you truly research and read in spare time, you should be right on track! Very good and manageable goal!

As for lighting, the live rock should be fine for now with 2 40 watt bulbs?
    Yes... I have dead rock and live rock mixed, under a Lights of America (home depot purchase) light system and it is growing coraline on it. You need more intense lighting for anemone and corals and such. Not for fish only and you do not need INTENSE lighting for coraline development on LR.

Again, welcome..and ask away!

Dave
    ><((((ş>`ˇ.¸¸.ˇ´Ż`ˇ.¸.ˇ´Ż`ˇ...¸><((((ş>
    ˇ´Ż`ˇ.¸. , . .ˇ´Ż`ˇ.. >((((ş>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's about time I took my turn!!!

to Talkimg Reef Community, gehr!

You'll find this a great group of reefers. The experts have already answered your questions so, no reason for me to muddy the water.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    skimmer - get the best that you can afford under your budget... if you post a budget for your skimmer there'll be people who'll give their opinion on what the best would be for that price...

Saltwater fish only (FO) is not the same as freshwater where you can put tons of fish in there. You're limited in how many you can put in before you have too much biological processes going on with a small water volume.

Also, species like tangs are 'happier' not necessarily based on how many gallons you have but the amount of swimming space. Gobbies like places to hide. So what I'm getting at is that you need to think out what you want to have in there and what it will need.

Patience is key. Add one fish at time and wait a few weeks between additions - allowing the tank to get adjusted to the bioload. If you do intend on having corals in the tank at a later date, try not to overstock with fish as corals are more sensitive to nitrates and ammonia which is not as critical with fish only.
    Hobby Experience: 5 yr freshwater, Saltwater since 10/2003
    Current Tanks:
    #1. 75g, 10g refugium, 16g Lifereef sump w/ Lifereef VS2-24 w/ EHEIM 1262, mag 7 return, 6x54w T5, MJ1200 - modded, AC Jr., SP 3000 (Niveaumat)for top off, corals since 2/2006
    #2. 20g RR, 10g sump, 250W -10k MH, Mag 5 return. Up since 2/2007
    #3. 4g Finnex NANO, 18W PC, HOB filter used as refugium, Minijet 404 for circulation. Up since 6/2007

Thanks
    bklynmet,
    great way to highlight some important items..
    basically, research is important..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    There's so much more to advise too...
    One thing worth mentioning - saltwater... unless you live by the ocean, you'll have to pay for salt. You can get bags at a time or buckets like most of us. At around $20 a bag, it's a necessary expense. Then you'll need equipment to ensure it's mixed correctly.

With corals, you want to have as uncontaminated a water source as possible so you'll likely need to either buy water from LFS or distilled water from the store or buy an RO filter so you don't have to 'pay' for it - even though you're paying for replacement filters every 6-months to a year (depending on usage.)

It's like a domino effect.. without reading up on it before hand, it'll sneak up on you and cause headaches and possible friction with your wife at the expense of 'another thing for the tank'. So the running cost of upkeeping a saltwater tank should be a consideration.

That being said, getting the equipment is the biggest expense. Even those of us who have equipment are always looking at the next step (or fix because it's like an addiction.) If you're patient with it, you'll enjoy it more.

There are plenty of projects that you can DIY (do-it-yourself) to help lessen the cost burden - if you're somewhat confident with tools. Such projects include drilling your tank, making your own skimmer or sump, modifying a pump to get more flow out of it, stands, hoods, closed loops, etc.

You may think I just spoke another language with some of the terms I just spewed out. Well, Rob here has done a great job with his podcasts at getting information out and available to everyone looking for it. So take time to listen to them if you can.

Remeber that it's not a race, take an hour or two each day to learn something new and research information. Plan things out and toss your ideas out here on the forums where people will try to help you and work through some issues beforehand. We've all been through the 'nubie' stage.
    Hobby Experience: 5 yr freshwater, Saltwater since 10/2003
    Current Tanks:
    #1. 75g, 10g refugium, 16g Lifereef sump w/ Lifereef VS2-24 w/ EHEIM 1262, mag 7 return, 6x54w T5, MJ1200 - modded, AC Jr., SP 3000 (Niveaumat)for top off, corals since 2/2006
    #2. 20g RR, 10g sump, 250W -10k MH, Mag 5 return. Up since 2/2007
    #3. 4g Finnex NANO, 18W PC, HOB filter used as refugium, Minijet 404 for circulation. Up since 6/2007

Thanks
    Great.

So, paycheck day and I spent some money. I got some crushed coral and arag-alive mixed together and put in the bottom and mixed in some salt. While at the LFS, I spoke to him about buying a skimmer and they are still trying to push the wet/dry on me. They say that its best to have the bio media in case there is a tank crash.

That aside, they have the skimmers that are in-sump and hang on. They were going on about me needing an in-sump because the hang on the back will eventually "inject too much oxygen into the tank."

Any comments on this?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    gerh,

Every single step along this new path you are on (reefing) will have an effect on the entire system. Until you learn the basics come here and ask before you buy. Even the most basic element such as substrate (sand/gravel). If you had asked beforehand, I and others would have stirred you away from crushed coral (CC) and pointed you to aragonite sand. The reason being that CC is a trap for all kinds of rotting food and feces and a poor place for the finds of critters that eat the stuff to live. This causes a build-up of the junk and leads to high Nitrates a short time down the road. Should you change it??? That's up to you and how far along you are. If you are willing to do the maintenance (vacuuming it out) then you might be okay. Ask questions for the simplest and silliest reasons. We don't mind answering them.

Two lessons to learn now. It's sad to say but ultimately true.

1. Most LFSs are the last/worst place to get advice for a marine aquarium. That may seem like I have an ulterior motive to stir you away from the most logical place to look for advice but, you will eventually learn it's true. You might as well hear it in the beginning so that by the time you realize it, you can say, oh yeah, I heard that on TR first.

Quote Originally Posted by gerh
    They say that its best to have the bio media in case there is a tank crash.
    If you have a tank crash, the trickle filter may very well contribute to it not help it. Plan on a sump, the bigger the better, and set it up as a sump/refugium if possible. See my tank thread, the link is in my sig line.

They were going on about me needing an in-sump because the hang on the back will eventually "inject too much oxygen into the tank.
    They are right about going with an in sump model but wrong about the reason. Hang on skimmers are notorious for being totally inadequate for the purpose. By their very design, necessarily small, they just don't work very good. Get a good in the sump model and you will be better off. Find out the brand they are pushing and ask here about it. It's likely that someone will have experience with it.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oooops, forgot lesson two.

2. The only thing that happens fast in a marine aquarium is disaster! Go slow and ask questions! Oh, yeah, I mentioned that.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    If you had asked beforehand, I and others would have stirred you away from crushed coral (CC) and pointed you to aragonite sand. The reason being that CC is a trap for all kinds of rotting food and feces and a poor place for the finds of critters that eat the stuff to live. This causes a build-up of the junk and leads to high Nitrates a short time down the road.
    I could have sworn it was here I read that mixing aragonite, crushed coral and certain type of play sand was reccomended. I searched and searched and for the life of me I cannot find it. I have read so many things over the past month, it is quite possible I read it elsewhere or just made it up.

As far as the sump, I was thinking about just getting a 20 gallon (or so) aquarium tank and using it. I plan on looking up some DIY articles on what to do for a overflow and pump. Over the next month or so, I will be looking at skimmers so I can annoy you all with more questions.

Thank you all for the great help so far.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Smile hi, im new to TR (started just this week!)

hi,

my name is nick, I'm 22 and i live in Warren, MI. I actually just started to listen to your podcast 2 days ago and i like it a lot, ( im starting all the way from the beginning, i'm on podcast 20 something i think) I have never had an aquarium before and people are calling me stupid for wanting to go directly to S/W. well i just ignore them. I am planning and researching for a future tank in a year or two!! i cant wait!! i have an issue with space and budget right now so i can just research more!! I wanted to know how my rough plan for a tank sounded and maybe you could tweak it up a little to name some things for me to look into??? sumps and refugiums are out, cause of space and money limitations!!

Heres my rough plan: (primarily peaceful, fish only)

55 gal tank, maybe 60gal
    protien skimmer
    flourecent lighting
    (2) 230gph powerheads
    (2) 100-150w heaters
    live sand / old castle sand mix
    maybe a little live rock, but not a lot

1 or a pair of true percula clowns
    some blue chromis
    some green chromis

its still in progress!! but i would like to hear some suggestions on livestock / Equipment / trusted brands etc..... basically any and all advice!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Nick and to TR.

You will probably have trouble finding the Old Castle aragonite sand, but a TR sponsor, The Cultured Reef now has aragonite at a good price. You don't need to spend $$ for LS in a plastic bag, it will become live in very short order from your LR. You should use at least a pound of LR per gallon of water. You can save money by purchasing mostly base rock and just a little LR and the base rock will also be quickly populated with all the little critters you need. This is important because the LR and LS are your primary means of filtration. Check out Marco Rocks, another TR sponsor, for some really nice rock!

Even for a FO tank I would use more than 2 - 230 gph powerheads. I would consider something like the Korolia 3's which offer a lot of flow, use little electricity and are very reasonably priced. The Cultured Reef also carries these.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Smile

thanks for the welcome, this is probably the best forum I've been on!!!! the aragonite sand was what i was planning on, but when you say 1 lb of LR per gal, why would you need that much? wouldn't it still be effective if i had 30-40 lbs? the Korolia 3's power heads are really powerful and a little pricey! i was looking at the maxi-jet 900 or 1200 power heads, i thought that you want to move 10-20 tank volumes per hour, if i used 3 or more of the Korolia 3 PH wouldn't my tank would probably look like a blender / whirlpool? what are some good venturi skimmers i should look into? and should i need any other filtration?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    buy an RO filter so you don't have to 'pay' for it - even though you're paying for replacement filters every 6-months to a year (depending on usage.)
    This at least shouldn't be to hard to convince budget conscious wife of, after all, RO Filter will produce better quality water for your family to drink, the fact that it is good for your salt tank is just an extra benefit!!

Thanks
    First of all Generalsniper 308 - Welcome to TR! You've found the right forum.

I just want to comment on drinking reverse osmosis water - this is very unhealthy. The water coming from a RO or RODI filter system should NOT be used for drinking - at least for any length of time.
    Christi

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalsniper_308 View Post
    thanks for the welcome, this is probably the best forum I've been on!!!! the aragonite sand was what i was planning on, but when you say 1 lb of LR per gal, why would you need that much? wouldn't it still be effective if i had 30-40 lbs?
    Your LR is your filtration. Without sufficient LR you will not be able to keep your water parameters in check and you will have difficulty keeping your fish alive. You will probably want a protein skimmer but you will not need any other filtration.

the Korolia 3's power heads are really powerful and a little pricey! i was looking at the maxi-jet 900 or 1200 power heads, i thought that you want to move 10-20 tank volumes per hour, if i used 3 or more of the Korolia 3 PH wouldn't my tank would probably look like a blender / whirlpool?
    Propeller pumps like the Koralias put out a wide stream of water and would not create turbulence in your tank. In my 54 gallon I have 2 Koralia 2's and a 750 gph return pump. In a 55-60 gallon tank you would want a minimum of 550-600 gph so you would need 3 Maxijet 900's (690 gph) to give you the minimum in turnover. Three MJ900 x $20 = $60 + you will probably pay s&h. Or you could buy two Koralia 1's (800gph) at $34 = $68 including s&h. Using the MJ900 and K1 as comparisons the MJ's use 8.5 watts each = 25.5 watts and the K1's use 3.5 watts each for a total of 7 watts. In the end you would have more flow and less energy consumption. I believe that both of these powerheads are suited for 20-30 gallon tanks and are way too small for a 55 gallon tank but I was trying to use a valid comparison.

what are some good venturi skimmers i should look into? and should i need any other filtration?
    Will you be planning on a HOB skimmer?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    okay, thanks, i didn;t realize a few of those points! as a matter of fact i was planning a HOB skimmer! i really wanted to know the names of good trusted models and brands to look for. i also wanted to ask you about tank lighting? what would be an efficient but economical approach to this, would normal flourecent be ok, assuming this would be fo, lr, ls peaceful tank, percula, chromis and other small hardy fish! i haven't really thought of anything else that i could put in the tank like invetrs, or other fish farther down the line that would be compatible???

Thanks
    For a HOB skimmer, the AquaC Remora's seem to get the best reviews.
    Nanocube 24DX R.I.P.

The Solution to Polution is Dilution

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The CPR BakPak skimmer is also well regarded. Normal output fluorescent lights will be fine for a FO tank but you will never be able to keep photosynthetic corals. And you may not get much coralline growth.
    Last edited by CarmieJo; 11-16-2007 at 01:00 AM.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information