Thread: ritteri and maroon clown

Expert Reefer
    Thanks

ritteri and maroon clown

i am debating this pair but i saw on one site the person was saying not to do this but didnt explain why but on another section on the same site they said that this is the best pair. if ppl would be kind enough to enlighten me and share experiences and prerequisites to care that would be great. 125gal 6' aquarium

Thanks
    i am not aware of a reason not to keep these two with a tank that large, but then again, i dont have first hand experience with either of these species.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    does anyone know if they eat fish like the carpet anemones do because i have two yellowtail damsels and i was planning on a mandarin

Thanks
    I would have to say first hand that the maroon clown will possibly (most likely) be the bully in your tank, i don't think mine killed any other moving creatures (i did have two unknown deaths though) it was sure a bully. I have seen it pick on corals and other fish not even close to my anemones so its not a territorial. I actually traded my maroon clown for the ocellaris clowns about two weeks ago. I am very happy with my new fish..

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    well i was going to get a blue throat as well so there maybe some competition for bully of the tank but i have meard that there behavior is somewhat unruly so i was a bit cautious in adding it. i like the red but i dont wont any casualties from the clown. has anyone else know of a maroon killing tank mates or being overly agressive

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mine is a bully and I think she is one who took a bite out of my firefish's tail. But I don't have any deaths that I blame on her.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Bully, yes. Death's directly attributed to a Maroon? No.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    so i want to have the two yellowtails yellow tang coral beauty angel (depending on taste for corals and clams) a mandarinfish the maroon clown a melanarus wrasse and a blue throat trigger. any chance the clown would be a threat to any of them or somehow incompatible

Thanks
    Bully, yes. Death's directly attributed to a Maroon? No
    IMO, if two clowns can kill each other i could see a clown taking out a fire fish. I lost both of my fire fish and all i was saying is it possible. After many of nights starring at my tank watch the fish and the behavior of the maroon i have a very high suspicion that the maroon could kill. and in my case the fire fish were the smallest fish in the tank. I have also seen the maroon pick and tear peaces off of some of my zoo's. Moral is, i think its possible

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    does this mean all clowns or just the maroon clown cuz i like my yellowtail damsels

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wwest View Post
    IMO, if two clowns can kill each other i could see a clown taking out a fire fish. I lost both of my fire fish and all i was saying is it possible. After many of nights starring at my tank watch the fish and the behavior of the maroon i have a very high suspicion that the maroon could kill. and in my case the fire fish were the smallest fish in the tank. I have also seen the maroon pick and tear peaces off of some of my zoo's. Moral is, i think its possible
    Of course it is possible that your Maroon clown killed the two Firefish. A lot depends on the size of your tank, how well fed you kept him, the number of hiding places and other things. A hungry aggressive fish is worse than a well fed aggressive fish. Most smaller passive fish are going to be viewed as bait. If you did not witness the crime, you are only speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by dadonoflaw
    does this mean all clowns or just the maroon clown cuz i like my yellowtail damsels
    Of course not all clowns are aggressive but there are a few to be aware of, Maroon, Tomato and any variation of the same, are a few. Pound for pound, your Yellowtail Damsels are just as aggressive. You may not think so but, wait till they mature.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    so if i was going to mix them with my stocking list of fairly agressive fish including the tang trigger angels and damsels with the maroon clown would be better than getting punk fish or is there something i am missing

Thread Information