Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Samuel's new HUGE tank

Thanks

fish food!

I make a further step into the addiction every day....

I have made my own frozen fish food! I wandered down to whole foods and bought some shrimp, clams (farmed of course!), squid (small calamari), and sole (halibut). All very fresh and i am sure would have been some good eats if i didn't think fish is gross (with one or two exceptions)! Personally, clams and oysters look like snot blown into a shell. Just an FYI

I did not use a blender for this, since i didn't have one to sacrifice. Sure sure, all of this stuff is technically human food, but i have to watch how much i step on the wife's toes with hobby stuff. I figured making clam/fish/squid shakes would push her over the edge! I just diced everything really small with a sharp knife (meat cleaver works great), mixed it in a bowl with some mysis, bloodworms, spirinula, brine shrimp, "Formula 2," a 1/2 tsp garlic extract and a 8 oz of Selcon. Oh, and no these are not careful measurements or a scientific formula! I just mixed all the crap i had sitting around

Stir stir stir. Let it sit. Then dumped it in a 1 quart ziplock bag and flattened it out to make a sheet and push the air out. Toss it in the freezer and DING!

For the record: cutting up squid is really disgusting!

Oh, and if you are out buying fish to make this with, i do implore everyone to check Seafood Watch to make sure the fish is sustainably caught.
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrivian View Post
    I make a further step into the addiction every day....

I have made my own frozen fish food!
    LOL. I have just been reading up on mush recipes (including Steven Pro, and Borneman) and may just make a batch of my own soon. Pro's is quite simple, providing a good base for other things to be added, while Borneman's seems to require more resources and trips to Chinese markets. Sounds like fun nonetheless.

From what I've read, using a blender (or food processor) is advisable since it will create very small particles that are compatible with filter feeders and smaller coral polyps. In fact, it seems that the motto is, if in doubt - blend more. Perhaps you can buy an extra blender or blender flask dedicated to mush?

Hmmm... I used to have one of those Vita-mix blenders back in college. It was a high-powered blender that could make carrot juice through pulverization. I wonder if one of those would make quick work of the mush...

I like Steven Pro's tip of using eggcrate to create cubes when freezing. It sounds like chipping off portions gets old fast.
    Last edited by rroselavy; 01-09-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks
    Whoah! I just saw the price on a new Vita-mix blender. $600+ !!! I should have held onto that puppy... I was foolish & young, lacking the foresight that I may want to blend raw seafood and planktonic debris for a future reef tank 20 years later...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I freeze mine in snack size zip-locks and once frozen store them in a freezer bag. I think the little bags are easier to work with and because they hold less are not as likely to get freezer frost once opened. You know this is like any hobby, for instance, before I got hurt I skied and had an iron dedicated to waxing my skis. Face it, irons and blenders are almost alike!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    astro, geeze brother, when i asked if this was a new dip spread the other night, you said no. Now i know why it had oyster flakes in the mix!

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    LOL. I have just been reading up on mush recipes (including Steven Pro, and Borneman) and may just make a batch of my own soon. Pro's is quite simple, providing a good base for other things to be added, while Borneman's seems to require more resources and trips to Chinese markets. Sounds like fun nonetheless.
    I agree here. I want to try their recipes next. One thing i found that is pretty cool is Sante 7000. You can search for all kinds of stuff on there. For example, using my recipe I calculated the following:

For every 1 gram:
    Protein (Gm)______ .147
    Carbs (gm)_______ .021
    Calories (kcal)____ ..820
    Polyunsaturated fats (gm) ____ ..01
    Monounsat Fat (gm) ______ .00121
    Vitamin A (RE) ______ ..538
    Carotene (mg) ______ .0
    Vitamin C (mg) ______ .0858
    Riboflavin (mg) ______ ..002258
    B6 (mg) ______ .000968
    Ca (mg) ______ .36838
    Mg (mg) ______ ..1938
    Sodium (mg) ______ .589355
    Vitamin E (mg) _____ ..0125
    Niacin (mg) ______ .021129
    B12 (mg) ______ ..2775
    Iron (mg) ______ .079032
    Copper (mg) _______ .00621
    Potassium (mg) _____ .3.0925

This does not include Selcon or other fish specific foods. Personally, i was surprised there was so much Potassium.

I have a "Magic Bullet" blender/grinder. I was thinking about ordering a set of blades and a cup just for fish food. I don't know how much they are off hand though.
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by veriann View Post
    astro, geeze brother, when i asked if this was a new dip spread the other night, you said no. Now i know why it had oyster flakes in the mix!
    LOL

I will mail you some with a bag of chips! Yumm Yumm
    Samuel

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Go to the thrift store and you can pick a blender up for five bucks.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Go to the thrift store and you can pick a blender up for five bucks.
    LOL! I work in the basement of a building below a Salvation Army store. In L.A., thrift stores have everything with premium used prices. Worth a check though...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well, I've noticed that when we have been in CA. Everything is expensive!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Well, I've noticed that when we have been in CA. Everything is expensive!
    So true ... so true. Especially electricity!
    240 gallon Mixed Reef + 46 gallon Mixed Reef + 40 gallon coral prop tank - 180 gallon FOWLR = a little more time and money!

The stories behind my tanks can be found at:
    http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/me...eam-tanks.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
    LOL! I work in the basement of a building below a Salvation Army store. In L.A., thrift stores have everything with premium used prices. Worth a check though...
    HAH! I went to check out the Salvation Army prices yesterday. 15 BUCKS for a used, beat up blender. AAAARRRGGH!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Gee you can buy this one for [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-57171-7-Speed-Blender/dp/B00006IUWX/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1201230594&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: Proctor Silex 57171 7-Speed Blender: Home & Garden[/ame] new for that!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information