Thread: Harlequin Shrimp - Hymenocera Inquiry.

Thanks

Question Harlequin Shrimp - Hymenocera Inquiry.

Hello everyone, I'm interested in keeping a mated pair of Harlequin Shrimp in a 10 gallon nano aquarium where I'm hoping they will breed for my new setup in about 6 months. I am aware that these are extremely finicky eaters and rely solely on a diet of Linkia Starfish, also that their extremely sensitive to even the slightest trace of copper. What are your experiences with these beautiful creatures if any?

Basic Information of Harlequin Shrimp - Hymenocera

Without a doubt, the Harlequin Shrimp is one of the most strikingly beautiful species of shrimp available to a marine enthusiast. The Harlequin Shrimp is even more intriguing when its unique feeding habits are considered.

The Harlequin Shrimp is considered to be reef safe. However, in reefs that include Sea Stars or Urchins, the Harlequin Shrimp should not be present, since it will prey on these animals. Harlequin Shrimp are often kept in pairs. They prefer moderate lighting and rocky substrates, or substrates made of coral rubble. Plenty of hiding places should be provided, as most Harlequin Shrimp are shy and retiring. They tend to spend most of the day in hiding, coming out at night to feed. Harlequin Shrimp have a highly specialized diet, which makes them rather difficult for some people to keep. In the wild, they consume the tube feet of Linckia species sea stars, particularly the Comet and Blood Spotted Stars. In captivity, Harlequin Shrimp may not flourish unless sea stars that they may prey on are placed in their tanks. You may need to try several different types before finding a suitable food source. A single star may provide weeks of food for these shrimp. Unless you are sure you will be able to provide a regular supply of prey for your Harlequin Shrimp, you may wish to consider a different shrimp species. Because they are also considered to be rather delicate, Harlequin Shrimp may not be a good choice for beginning marine aquarists.

A full-grown Harlequin Shrimp normally measures 1 to 1.5 inches. Normally, specimens from the Indian Ocean are on the shorter side of the range, while specimens collected from the Pacific grow a little larger. Their bodies are relatively stocky or broad. The entire Harlequin Shrimp is white to whitish pink in color. The body is splashed with brown, purplish, pink, or reddish spots. Pink spots are often edged in purple. Some specimens have spots that appear almost orange in color. The claws on a Harlequin Shrimp are tapered at the ends, and often have purple bands of color over them. Harlequin Shrimp have flattened antennae, which resemble leaf shapes, and can be moved from side to side. The eyes are located at the ends of stalks.

Harlequin Shrimp are native to the Tropical Indo Pacific, and are most often found in the Central Pacific, including the Hawaiian Islands. Many captive specimens are also collected from the Indian Ocean.

Moderate lighting and temperatures between 72 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit (23 to 26 degrees Celsius) are acceptable for Harlequin Shrimp. A pH value of 8.3 or 8.4 and a specific gravity between 1.023 and 1.025 are also ideal. Levels of iodine should be maintained to avoid problems with molting. Copper based medications should not be used in tanks where Harlequin Shrimp are housed. Extreme nitrate levels are also unacceptable. Harlequin Shrimp are best kept in pairs, and should not be kept with sea stars or urchins that are not intended to be food. Plenty of hiding places should be provided, and substrates should be made of rocks or coral rubble. Harlequin Shrimp should be fed a diet of sea stars, as this is their natural nourishment. Some will accept other food items in captivity. It is widely agreed that Linckia species are ideal for juvenile Harlequin Shrimp, while adults are usually offered the species Asterias rubens.

Thanks
    Too many Harlequin shrimps are lost in captivity due to ignorance and lack of care. I suggest to avoid them so as not to encourage their collection from the wild. Also, most pairs sold are not true pairs, especially online vendors. False pairs will often fight to the death once they are settled down.
    USA

Thanks
    Fat Walrus, your warnings are noted. I'm curious though. I have been watching a pair at a local pet store in Newburgh, New York. The pair have been together for almost 3 weeks now and they have been eating and apparently getting along. I am curious to know if you believe that this three week period is being their settling period to ensure that they are true mated pairs?

Thanks
    My opinion is, If they are at a LFS and there is alot of stuff being taken out and put into the same tank they are housed then they wont settle in for sometime.. I think fish or any other moving creature need to be left alone and not scared in order to settle in. but thats just me. i mean what do i know

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBeDriften View Post
    Fat Walrus, your warnings are noted. I'm curious though. I have been watching a pair at a local pet store in Newburgh, New York. The pair have been together for almost 3 weeks now and they have been eating and apparently getting along. I am curious to know if you believe that this three week period is being their settling period to ensure that they are true mated pairs?
    If they are good size, stay close together(side by side as opposed to opposite sides of habitat), and is in confined quarters.............it may be a pair. Keep in mind that most shrimp that are territorial do not build agression until mature and/or are fully established in its environment.
    USA

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Harlequin Shrimp, the cutest, sexiest little shrimp, is one of the many critters that should be left in the wild for the simple reason of feeding them. It's one thing to say they eat Linkia Starfish, It's another to supply them with a constant supply of Starfish. Breeding them might not be a problem. Getting the hatch lings through the larva stage might prove to be impossible. If not, don't you suppose some enterprising company like ORA or a Marine Biologist would have capitalized on this bonanza??? Can you imagine the amount of Starfish you would have to provide to the growing little shrimp??? Think this through, Jay, before wasting your money. Spend it on something that has a chance of living not a dead horse.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Harlequin Shrimp are very pretty, but definitely not a beginner shrimp to try breeding.

If you really want to breed shrimp, I would recommend starting out with Sexy shrimp, Peppermint shrimp or possibly Monoco shrimp if they become available in the US. The Sexy and Monoco shrimp have pretty darn short larval cycles and the peppermint shrimp breeding procedures are well documented.

It is always best to walk before running and you avoid the very hairy (and somewhat moral issue) of using live sea stars as food.

BTW...they will eat tube feet from other sea stars, not just linckia which shouldn't be collected for any reason (high mortality and extremely low survival).

Brian
    www.projectdibs.com and www.talkingreef.com - Finding A Better Way Together

Thread Information