Thread: peppermint Shrimp

Thanks

peppermint Shrimp

What are the differences between "true peppermint shrimps" and other peppermint shrimps? I bought one under the name "peppermint shrimp" and it sure looks like one, but it doesnt eat aiptasia worth a crap and it's got pincers similar to my emerald crabs. Maybe i got the wrong subspecies of peppermint? Ill post a pic as soon as the dust in my tank settles from being re-aquascaped.

Also, if this isnt a true pep, and i cant get rid of it...will it be ok to get one true peppermint shrimp AND a tiger pistol shrimp for my yellow watchman goby? Keep in mind i already have a skunk cleaner so that would make 4 total shrimp. Im going to try and either 1-learn to live with the aiptasia and just settle for joe's juicing the heck outta things every once in a while...2- get a true peppermint shrimp ALONG with the others. or 3- get rid of the imposter and just get the true peppermint.

Thanks,

-Adam

remember... 29gal oceanic biocube w/ 29.6lbs LR and around 40lbs LS

Thanks
    Im not sure about the two diferent types of peppermint shrimps, however i do know that not all peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia's. if you would like to try cutting the aiptasia's down alittle that might give them more motivation to eating the pests. Once the aiptasias get to be a certain size peppermint shrimps dont really go after them. Even with cutting them down there is a still a chance the peppermint shrimp might not go after them. My suggestion for a 100% death rate with the aiptasia is to dose them with a needled syringe untill they are gone. wish i could help you more..

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    what about the tiger shrimp question?

Thanks
    It sounds to me like you have cammel back shrimp(claws) instead of peppermint. I have found some stores to sell cammel back shrip as peppermints Pic:http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4 They look similar but are worthless when it comes to aiptasia removal. I have had great success with peppermint shrimp , even eating large aiptasia. I am sorry I have no personal experience with tiger shrimp.

Thanks

Thumbs up Same here

I also have had great success with peppermint shrimp , even eating large aiptasia. Everytime. Plus it is fun to watch them tear those things APART!

Thanks
    i have a tiger w/ 2 skunks and they are all fine
    Wendy

Thanks
    Besides the camel shrimps that are commonly mistakenly so by people who should not be selling livestock, there are two kinds of peppermint. One is from the Indo-Pacific area, and one is from the Carribean/Mexico.

Camel shrimps should be avoided because they will eventually attack corals.

Of the two peppermints, some hobbyist claim that the Californis(Carib/Mexico) is more agressive than its Indo-Pacific cousins. I find them both equally effective, with the Californis being less hardy because unlike it's eastern cousin, it is not as hardly in a reef tank because it is a sub-tropical species.
    USA

Thanks
    If your tank is large enough, you should be able to add a peppermint and tiger shrimp without trouble.

I would advise removing your original shrimp if possible if you do identify it as a camel.
    USA

Thanks
    yep, its definitly a camel....im going to remove it and add another REAL peppermint and a tiger pistol when i go to get my yellow watchman goby in a few weeks. That will make 3 cleaner shrimp but thats ok lol. I think the symbiotic relationship between the watchman and the tiger pistol shrimp is amazing, i cant wait to see them together!

Thanks
    Hey all,

There has been some recent changes to the wudemanni complex (Peppermint shrimp) classification. There appear to be at least 5 caribbean species with more in the Pacific.

A longer discussion can be found here:
    http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic39...ght=peppermint

I would be willing to bet money that anyone selling Peppermint shrimp in this hobby (unless they are personally raising them and have been watching them devour Aiptasia) will not have enough skills to tell the species apart.

It is basically a crapshoot trying to get the right species that eats Aiptasia.

Brian
    www.projectdibs.com and www.talkingreef.com - Finding A Better Way Together

Thread Information