Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: JustDavidP's Clam Tank Project

Thanks

JustDavidP's Clam Tank Project

I have a couple of projects that I’ll be starting in the next few months. I finally decided that my new clam tank will come to life this winter! I’m also building a new, 33”X24”X24” seahorse tank to replace the aging, and plenty scratched 26 gallon bowfront in my family room. With that said, I knew I’d be looking into the acquisition of at least 50 lbs of live rock for aquascaping.

While budgeting my project, I realized that I could save lots of money if I planned appropriately. Instead of setting up the systems with live rock, I decided to start with “dry rock” or what some call “base rock” and let it mature on its own, ultimately becoming “live” by the time I need to use it the two new tanks. In the New England area, you can expect to pay upwards to 10 dollars a pound for live rock. If I were to mail-order, I’d have to cure and care for rock that may have lots of unwanted life on it as well. This option too, is not cheap. Dry rock will cost you a fraction of the cost of live rock.

Another reason the dry rock option seemed enticing to me is that I’ll be using most of this rock for a seahorse display. In that environment, any hydroids, aptasia, or other nuisance hitch hikers could be disastrous. Mantis shrimp, and other aggressive hitch hikers like crabs that made it into my seahorse system would just ruin my day! Seeding, maturing and culturing my own live rock just seems safer for this system.

The dry rock that I used, I bought from “Marco Rocks” (www.marcorocks.com). Marc, who also owns “Awesome Aquariums” (www.awesomeaquariums.com), an aquarium display maintenance service on Cape Cod, MA, obtains his dry rock from Fiji. It is composed of coral reef rubble, washed into the rubble zone, which is then collected, cleaned/dried and shipped. Marc then sorts the rock and has it boxed to order. The rock he receives is extremely porous, and therefore lighter (A single rock, weighing 5 lbs dry, weighs almost 8 lbs after it has been saturated with salt water). It has a very lacy appearance to it and has more “surface space” than any rock I’ve seen for some time. It has all the qualities that I look for when thinking of biological filtration.

You can see from the picture below, that a 50lb box contains quite a few, large pieces of dry rock. This collection is 4’ by 2’! My son is laying next to the lot for comparison. The rocks do need to be rinsed to remove any powdery dust on it that is a result of the pieces bumping into each other during shipping. Otherwise, it is ready to use!

At this time, my new rock will be rinsed, and placed into my 75 gallon sump and refugium. There, with my existing live rock, live sand, macro algae and scores of micro crustaceans, worms and other fuge and sump critters, it should take no time for it to become “live”. I’ll take more pictures along the way and show you how it cures. I’ll also refer back to this thread when I use the rock in my future display tanks.

Here's a picture of a system done with this rock:

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    I use dry rock often. I purchase dry table base rock from my LFS. Those are some nice rock you got there LOL... I always cure my rock in a garbage can with salt water, heater and skimmer for a period of time.

Thanks
    I was going to put it in a 30 gallon barrel with salt water, heater, and a skimmer, but decided to put it in my sump. I KNOW that there are no aptasia, hydriods etc. in there..and wanted to get it "full o' bugs"

D

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Its great to see its all coming together Dave. Big business the rock business, huge profits are made, besides the price its seems logical curing it yourself to ensure a clean batch! You'd have to peg & interlock your rocks in sections to achieve overhangs of that magnatude in the bottom picture, Looks stunning though.
    Good to see you son can measure up for his dad, good looking healthy lad isn't he> got to be proud brother

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    V...

I use epoxy and zip ties to build aquascapes.. works well.

Thanks for the comments on my "frag". He's the little one... youngest..and a tiny specimen... 20% for height/weight... he's just too busy to sit still and eat

D

Grand Master Reefer Seahorsedreams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Is the kid a freebie if I buy a box? I like the kid and I have a nice tank to put him in :-)

That rocks looks awesome. I'm going to have to check out that site.

David, do you have more pics of that last tank pic you posted. Looking for ideas for aquascaping the 100 and that looks really nice!
    Renee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahorsedreams View Post
    Is the kid a freebie if I buy a box? I like the kid and I have a nice tank to put him in :-)
    You can have him... I'll put the box o' rock on his back and send him westward He's my "project boy" with ADHD. Love him to death..and he's my little marine apprentice, but he knocks the wind out of me... Maybe I'm just getting old

That rocks looks awesome. I'm going to have to check out that site.
    It really is amazing. I now have it in my sump-zilla... trying to get it "live". I'll take some pics tonight. It is amazingly porous and lightweight. Serious biological filters! Not like a brick like some rock is.

[/quote] David, do you have more pics of that last tank pic you posted. Looking for ideas for aquascaping the 100 and that looks really nice![/quote] I don't, but that is because it is Marco's picture. If you go to his site, and inquire, I'm sure he can come up with some aquascaping examples for you. He's an amazingly friendly guy!

I'll tell you, it looks as if they took one of the Marco Rocks and placed it upside down and then put another, right side up to make "pedastals". Most of this rock is coral skeletons and have that upright "tree" looking form to it.

Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP View Post
    You can have him... I'll put the box o' rock on his back and send him westward He's my "project boy" with ADHD. Love him to death..and he's my little marine apprentice, but he knocks the wind out of me... Maybe I'm just getting old
    I'll set the tank up just like I would for an octopus so he can't escape. I'll throw sugar in there before company comes so he can entertain them.

You're looking at the outcome of an ADHD child. *points to self* You're in heaps of trouble as he grows older (he he).
    Renee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahorsedreams View Post
    I'll set the tank up just like I would for an octopus so he can't escape. I'll throw sugar in there before company comes so he can entertain them.
    Wow... that's spooky.. you know him already? I joke with him, because I can't get him to eat.. I say that he lives on "Sugar and Adderal, Sugar and Adderal".

You're looking at the outcome of an ADHD child. *points to self* You're in heaps of trouble as he grows older (he he).
    Well..NOW it all makes sense...the light bulb hath swiched on...NOW I KNOW why you and I had hit it off from day one...

*Waving* "Hi... I'm Dave..and I have ADHD too" (response) "We love you David". Yep... funny... I always knew it.. but didn't get diagnosed until I had to work with my son's issues. Like father...like son.

Thanks
    That's too funny. I have it and so does my dad. For curiousity I went as an adult to get tested. My mom always complained that I was the spit of my father. Now we know why. I love my natural buzz.... I can be kind of hard to live with though.
    Renee

Thanks
    Okay.. THIS is an AutoCAD drawing of the tank I'll be using:

This is the end result:

I'll be framing the wall this Saturday. It will be a corner tank built into the wall. I'm using a 250W SE MH bulb with actinic PC's. The hood, stand, everything will be "built in" and will take the corner effect away from the room. I'm using 2X3 construction as this is just a little over 20 gallons.

Dave

Thanks
    Okay.. I built my durso.

The bulkhead is 1 inch threaded. However, I used couplings etc. to actually increase the diameter to 1 and 1/2 inches at the durso elbow. Some pictures:

The rest of the construction and components:

The 1 and 1/2 inch elbow. Note.. the waterline in the overflow box will be equal to about 1/2 way up the collar of the elbow (right about where that glare is) so keep this in mind when measuring the total height of the durso. Ideally, you don't want water "cascading down the overflow strainer into the overflow box or you will a) have lots o' bubbles and b) lot o' noise.

The cap is drilled to allow for modification of airflow and reduce gurgling. I may use an airline valve. I may just do something else.. who knows

The constructed "beast":

Thanks
    And installed:

More construction shots this weekend.

Dave

Thanks
    Nice Durso!

You know we lost our big old clam in the move, right? We could have almost cried over that....

What autocad program do you use?
    Renee

Thanks
    Doooh.. sorry to hear about your clammage loss...

What autocad program do you use?
    The one over my friend Gustavo's (Neo) house.. I'm not that good.. he's the brains behind the operation.

Dave

Thanks
    lookin' great Dave! so, how long do you think you need to cure this dry rock?
    Christi

Thanks
    Christi,

Well.. I hosed it off well and put it in a barrel with RO/DI. It turned rusty and nasty in a coupe hours. I emptied and refilled three times that day. I've since moved it into the huge sump. It's really taken no time to become full of "bugs". However, the sump is now in the midst of a mini-spike/cycle. I'm in no rush, so I'll just be swappin water, constructing, and waiting. We shall see.

More pics..in a few.

D

Thanks
    There once was an empty corner...
    And a tank, just "layin around"

So I scrambled and bought me some 2 by threes
    and other items that weren't easily found...

I began what was to be a simple stand
    for a smallish tank full of clams
    But when I began the construction
    I deviated (a lot) from my plans

From floor to ceiling, I hammered and tacked
    Why not build a unit, a stand that is "stacked"

Thanks
    And using what little skills in carpentry that I do posess.
    I was able to build something square and level,
    and not a big mess

So with the "extras" I had laying around, I was able to finish my fishroom...with tanks abound...

More updates to come...

Dave

Thanks
    Very nice dave, I love your setup. If i only had that much room

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    The clam tank, when done, will be plumbed right through the wall. On the other side is that fish room in the last picture.

D

Thanks
    ha ha! Thanks Dr. Dave for the tour! Your stand looks awesome! Great job! Looking forward to seeing those mussels in there soon....
    Christi

Thanks
    David! That is great! You're going a very nice job indeed!

I bet there is another corner in the house that could be used for a mantis tank!
    Renee

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Pictures and poetry! I love the setup.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I REALLY want the mantis tank for my office. But with my travel and such, I'd have major problems with it. What is the ideal temp for that pod? Could I plumb something into my pony system?

D

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information