Thread: 24 gallon nano-cube

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

24 gallon nano-cube

My girlfriend has a problem with her nano tank.
    There is oily brownish film on the water surface.
    Is this bad? What can she do to fix this if it is?

The tank has a flip cover with the lights & fans built in it.
    And, a filtering system built into it's back wall where she has her heater, filter blocks, and pump. She has had it set up for about half a year with plenty of live rock.

Tank life consist of 2 clowns, a cardinal fish, 1 peppermint shrimp, crabs, snails, starburst polys, zoos, mushrooms, trumpet, and a bulb anenome.

Is there a small enough skimmer that she could put inside it?
    What is this film on the water?

Thank you for any help you can suggest.

Thanks
    there are skimmers small enough if you decide to use one, lets let one of the nano keepers chime in with there recommendatiosn on that.

now the film is normal, its organics that get caught on the surface of the water. on a tank liek that the best way to hande it is with regular water changes, as i dont think you can get any type of surface skimmer in there. if its reall bad between water changes you can lay a piece of paper towel, or cheese paper on there quickly to absorb it. but usually weekly water changes will keep it in check
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Rob is correct here in that your problem is probably oils and other organics that enter the system as a result of feeding and/or contaminants on your/her hands.

Hang on Tank Skimmers like the AquaC Remora, CPR BakPaks, or Prisms are small enough to use on your system, but have their own disadvantages. First and foremost, they are pump driven and the associated pumps typically take water from deeper in the column. You really want a surface skimmer or pre skimmer to help collect the film on the top. Here's what I did...

DIY - It is EASY to create a DIY surface skimmer or pre skimmer. Most commercial versions are FAR too large for your tank and although they'd work, would be an eyesore. If you are handy with acrylic, you can make your own, smaller version of the commercial boxes. I've even seen one made with an old DC Jewel Case! I, on the other hand took a different route. I used a simple PVC pipe, and end cap, zip ties and an old heater suction cup/bracket mount to build a pre skimmer. Here's a picture of it:

and in action:

It simply slides over the intake, whether a pump or siphon tube and collects water from the top rather than down deeper in the tank. you would have to use the appropriate sized PVC to fit your application. For siphon tubes, it can be narrower.

If I were to do it over again, I'd not use schedule 40 PVC but a black or grey colored product.

Finally, you may want to position powerheads or return nozzles such that they create a "surface chop" and help break that film down and pull it into the water column where it can be successfully taken in by your filtration.

Regards,

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    great addition dave, thanks for sharing.
    if you get a moment, please feel free to add this info to the DIY forum.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Rob,

I've got some surprises for you...

I've been reworking my notes on my DIY acrylic sumps, DIY hood, DIY everything to be added to your site. Soon my friend...

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP
    Rob,

I've got some surprises for you...

I've been reworking my notes on my DIY acrylic sumps, DIY hood, DIY everything to be added to your site. Soon my friend...

Dave
    Awesome dave, thanks for the contibutions...

Thanks
    Also if you aim a powerhead to the surface that will clear it up and put the film into the water column to be sucked up by the skimmer. I just purchased a skimmer for the nano I am setting up and its a AquaC Remora- I did a lot of research before purchasing the skimmer to make sure it was the best HOB out there. I just hooked it up Sunday, and its currently going through the breakin period. Just make sure when you buy a skimmer- to buy the best one you can afford. If you buy a skimmer of less par, you will be replacing it which is no fun. I'm not familar with what skimmers fit the nano-cube though.

IMHO the best way to filter a reef tank is with live rock and a skimmer- the natural way. You may wanna consider doing that. Sometimes other filtration methods can cause problems.

Thanks
    yep the powerhead method should work too.
    it didnt work well in my 29 gallon tank, but it had a much larger surface area and one powerhead wasnt enough to clear it up... but for hte nano cube, it should be good

Thanks
    I've found that with time...the powerhead usually doesn't work on a tank with no surface skimmer. What you need is either LOTS of water changes (agitate the surface skum, change water)....or a surface skimmer.

Hope that helps,
    Jeepjo n

Thread Information