Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping Clams

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Keeping Clams

Can anyone help with keeping giant clams? I love the clams and there really cool. How much lighting would I need and how much food?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Lots. Generally you need a lot of lighting for giant clams.

Some of the less demanding light species are Derasa or Giga clams.

Even then you will need a lot of intense lighting to keep these guys.
    I would recommend metal halide or HO (high output) T5 for keeping clams.

You also should supplementally feed the clams with phyto-plankton once every few days.

Other than that clams are fairly easy to care for.

D.

Thanks

Re: Keeping Clams

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Can anyone help with keeping giant clams? I love the clams and there really cool. How much lighting would I need and how much food?
    Hello Mike,
    I find clams to be pretty simple to keep once you know there requirements but then again this goes for everything. Lots of light is better (mh, my opinion) and as far as feeding they only need to be fed if they are 3" or smaller. Try to buy a clam that is about 4" so you really do not have to worry about feeding it, it will get everything it needs from the lighting and nitrates. Of course it does not hurt to feed the tank. Also be careful when you get a new clam they have predators and one of the most common are the pyramid snail which will kill the clam. I recommend quarantine new animals for about a month before putting them into the main display tank to make sure they are healthy and predator free. But if you do not make sure you take a good look at the bottom, sides, all over the clam shell to make sure you do not have any unwanted guests. If you place the clam in your sand bed it is a good idea to place a clam shell under its foot for it to attach its self to which will help protect the clam, much more so than just placing it down in the sand. Clams can also be placed on the rock work and should attach themselves within a few days to a week unless conditions (water current, lighting) are not correct. Hope this helps.
    Take care
    Visit my site!!
    www.mmota.homestead.com

Thanks
    i agree, clam, once giving the right enviroment and good water conditions are really lovley guest, and easy to keep. the key, like mopecula stated, you have to understand there needs. once you have that, and you cane meet them they are great
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Clams, Scallops, and Oysters would be another good show.

Thanks
    We could do a show about clams. I have owned over a dozen myself. There is lots of good information out there. If you are truly into clams, you MUST own "Giant Clams" by Daniel Knopp.

Personally, I've not known anyone who has kept a scallop for any decent duration of time. They are strictly filter feeders and their needs to not match up well with the type of systems (reefs with pristine waters) that we keep.

D
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    yep, another great idea.
    please post it in the show questions forum so i can track it
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    show on clams is definately be cool

Thanks
    Another thing to remember about clams...They can get huge and some get huge fast. My gigas has already grown over 1/16 of an inch, in only 2 weeks... I can only imagine what he will look like in a year or two with growth like that. I have a 37g now and I am certain he will outgrow that in a few years...So far though he is doing great under my t-5 lighting. Heres a pic of the big guy...

Thanks
    Yes, depending on the species, they CAN and WILL get big. Gigas (appropriately named) is one of those bad boys who will. Derasa will too. Smaller bivalves like maxima and crocea stay within the bounds of an average reef tank.

I love clams. I just finished a DIY acrylic tank that I'm setting up as a "clam only" system for my family room. I can't wait to set it up!!

Dave

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    wow, love to see pics when its done...I want to build my own tank but I haven't got the gumption...Kinda scared I'm gonna come home to water everywhere...

Thanks
    Darned Server... ate my post.

Well..try again.. After building various DIY sumps, tanks etc, I feel more confident in my skills. Though I do have an acrylic guru, Gustavo (Neo on Boston Reefers) who is my 'foreman' when it comes to big jobs like tanks, reactors etc. I'm only good at making small boxes

Dave

Thanks
    Some of my previously owned clams....

Squamosa Mantle!

The Crocea Brothers

Ultimate Ultra Crocea! I love this clam. It looks good in my buddy's 120 Reef I had to give him up for adoption.

Dave

Thanks
    The big boy....

Thanks
    Nice clams- would love to see more pictures if there are more to add!!

Thanks
    Awesome pictures Dave. I'd like to see more too. I've often toyed around with the idea of a coffee table aquarium with a MH pennant hanging over it just for clams.

Thanks
    The same Squamosa - Different View

While we are at Macro... I just love inhalant siphons!

The same two crocea in the last set of shots (viewed from side of tank) now in an image straight on. For those of you who do NOT have or have not seen clams. Their colors look very different when viewed at differing angles.

KILLERS! Two beautiful Maxima that started an unfortunate chain of events for me... No need to go into details here....yet

Thanks
    Beeeeaaauuutttiiiiffuuuuuuulllll Dave!
    Christi

Thanks
    I have to agree, the photo's of all these clams are beautiful. One day when I have more experience and a larger tank...then I may venture down this road. But in the meantime, I love looking at the pics.
    Tank setup 8-5-05
    26 gal bowfront

click sig to see my tank and 'tankcam'

Thanks
    Thanks...I wish they played nice with ponies... I'd love to have one in my 26G right here in my family room

Thanks
    Hey Dave - did you have like a rubble layer over your DSB in your clam tank? I notice that your clams were nestled in quite large pebbles.....just curious how you had your substrate layers...
    Christi

Thanks
    No Christi...The sand bed was a 5 inch sugar fine bed. Good observation though..Let me explain..somewhat

More often than not, when you get clams, they are unattached to any substrate. This makes them vulnerable to predation. Typically, if you place them on a flat rock or even an old clam shell, they attach in short time and therefore have a 'trap door' over their most senstive area, the soft fleshy port called the byssal port.

Some times, while jostling for good position in relation to flow, lighting or whatnot, they topple over in the sand. What most hobbyists do, is place them on that rock, and put rubble around them to keep them "propped" in position until they secrete phenolic protein and polyphenol oxidase which, in turn, forms the byssal threads by which they anchor themselves onto the substrate.

You can often see this as a slime near the bottom of the clam. Once it hardens, you can easily see white to translucent threads that look much like a monofilament fishing line between the byssal port and the rock or whatever substrate the clam is on.

In the picture above, with the two juvenile maximas, what you don't see is the flat, shelf rock, burried just by a thin layer of sand. The rubble was removed once the clams attached.

Dave

Thanks
    ah ha! Thanks! I'm planning on getting some clams with the new setup, so it's great to get this knowledge!
    Christi

Thanks
    Do you ever sleep Christi Your posts are evident 24 hours a day. That's dedication to a hobby!

When you get the new system up and running, and are looking at clams, let me know. I'd love to help you along!

Dave

Thanks
    Ahhhh clams, I plan on having many eventually but wanted to start slow untill I am educated a bit more abuot them. I currently have a 2-3" T. Derasa that is doing pretty well I must say

I still target feed the clam since it is still at that smaller size but probably won't have to for much longer it is starting to really take off.

Here is a picture when I first got it, I really need to get a current shot though.

I plan on maybe havng 2-3 more when I get my reactor up and running which will definetly include my favorite clam the maxima.
    -------------------------------------------
    34 Gallon Solana - Starphire Edition is cycling away

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information