Thanks

Green Star Polyps Pictures & Info

New Addition to my tank..

Close up shot

Scientific Name: Clavularia viridis
    Classification: Soft Coral
    Common Names: Green Star Polyps

Description:
    Green Star polyps are small bright green polyps connected together by a rubbery purple colored mat. Open during the day, retracted at night or when disturbed.

Care:
    Hardiness: Green Star polyps are extremely hardy and can survive most reef tank conditions.

Lighting: Will tolerate fairly low light levels, but tend to develop brighter colors under higher intensity lighting. A picture above shows a colony that is lighter in color due to being raise in lower lighting conditions.

Water Current: Green Star polyps prefer moderate water motion.

Temperature: Does well within a range of at least 74º to 84º F.

Aggressiveness: High. Although the coral does not have a stinging capability, it's encrusting growth pattern can lead to rapid encroachment on its neighbors. Mat can be pruned with scissors if it starts to get out of hand. This is one of those corals that some hobbyist regret ever putting in their tank.

Feeding: Green Star polyps are photosynthetic and require no feeding. It is unknown if they will accept any prepared foods.

Supplements: No special requirement are noted. Normal acceptable water parameters seem to suit it just fine.

Tank Positioning: No special requirements other than keeping them out of forceful water flow. They will sometimes grow up the back glass forming a very attractive green backdrop.

Propagation:: Green Star polyps are easily propagated by cutting a section of the purple mat from the main colony using scissors or similar. This mat can be attached to a suitable substrate such as a piece of live rock usually with a rubber band. It will quickly attach to the rock and the rubber band can be removed

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    good posting! our newest information guru u are west!
    keep it up!

when u propigate, cull back, or do somthing funky with them be sure to post your finding in here as well

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    good posting! our newest information guru u are west!
    keep it up!
    I just think it would be cool for us to have a thread to search for info on corals and stuff. also people can add there experiences to it as well and when other people are wanting to purchase or research something they can come here and browse..

when u propigate, cull back, or do somthing funky with them be sure to post your finding in here as well
    I plan on Progigateing my peace today sometime so ill post the info on it.. i have a few others to frag as well so im not sure if im up to it today lol

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    this is not new information, ive asked for the same since before u arrived here. how can i put this without sounding rude......robs got a gentlemens agreement with reefpedia for shared info, and believes the infastructure in best suited to grabbing info from there considering the infustructure is already in place!. plus it costs money to keep expanding with every idea. the simplist idea is stickies with headings. i hear ya anyways

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    yea that makes alot of sence.. ive never thought of it like that. thanks for the help veriann..

Thanks
    i love my green star frag.. they are beautiful in the daytime

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for all the info west. I dig your idea for posting all that too.

I just got some GSPs! Quick question about them: i think i read somewhere that after acclimation they can sulk for a while and not extend. Can anyone confirm this?
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.

http://religiousspiritualism.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Pretty much anything freshly acclimated could take some time. But yes when i pull these out for fragging ( well when i had them ) they stayed closed for a few days. They are very sensitive to change or movement. Once they are settled in though they will open up nicely. If you are wondering i don't have them anymore because i was offered the right amount for the remaining peace that i was going to grow out.

Thanks
    I passive frag my GSP all the time and when I move them to a new tank or even a different tanks in the same water system they sulk for about 48 to 72hrs. it’s when they hit 5-7 day I get worried.
    My idea of an amusement park story is getting adventurers to go tour environmental disaster areas. After all, if the entire Great Barrier Reef gets killed, which seems like an extremely lively possibility, what are you going to do with all that rotting limestone?
    ~Bruce Sterling

Thanks
    Ah okay, thanks guys. I thought that was probably the case, but i just wanted to make sure. These things are my first corals! Well, first intentionally-introduced corals anyhow.

If you don't mind me asking, how much would you get for a frag, and about how big were the frags? Fragging and selling is ultimately what i am thinking of doing. I hear they multiply like coral-rabbits.
    Samuel

"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.... There is magic in it. Let the most absent-minded men be plunged in his deepest reveries--stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going, and he will infallibly lead you to water, if water there be in all that region."

Thanks
    It really depends around here. a business card peace would be between $10-15 and a big peace covering a rock pretty good would be around $20-25. i have sold peaces for $30-$35 but they were pretty good size.

Thanks
    So, it is day 6 and i my GSPs are not extending at all. I check the parameters:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    SG: 1.025
    Temp: 77 F

Is the six day sulk normal? If so, when should i start to worry?
    Samuel

Thanks
    What type of flow do you have them in? I would say 6 days is a bit long. Check there neighbors and the current. HTH's

Thanks
    Oh nuts. That never occurred to me. Thanks for the heads up on that west; i am still not used to thinking in terms of flow, especially in my nano. The whole tank is pretty low in terms of flow now that i think about it. I added another PH to about double what i had. The GSPs are not in the direct line but get a nice rebound from the glass.

They are still purple, if that means anything. How would i know if they are dead?
    Samuel

Thanks
    If they are dead they will start to fall apart and disapear. Purple is always good though

Also make sure that by some chance its not up stream from something that could be giving off chemical warfare.

Grand Master Reefer Seahorsedreams's Avatar
    Thanks
    And remember thatGSP is a communicating coral. By that I mean if anything is ticking off just a few polyps the whole colony will react.

When is the last time you changed some water?

Are you running carbon?
    Renee

Thanks
    No carbon. Did a water change just before i added them. The GSPs are the only corals of any kind in the tank. At day 7 they were still hiding from me, but i will check this evening (day 8) and see how they are doing. Carbon might be a good idea Renee, i think i will stuff a few bags in the tube fuge.
    Samuel

Thanks
    So some new developments with my GSPs. After moving the colony to an area of moderately-high flow (they get an indirect blast of a powerhead aimed at the glass), I did see some small, white, polyps on the evening of day 8.

The other factor of note is i just got my new refractometer to replace my $3 hydrometer. As it turns out...40 ppt salinity. Oh. Oops. I am working on reducing that slowly over the next several days.

One question relating to this thread in general. Do GSPs have any known benefit from calcium, magnesium, iodine, strontium, or iron dosing?
    Samuel

Thanks
    As far as i know they don't, however soft corals and some other corals dont like direct iodine so i would stay away from that.

Thanks
    One reason I think every reefkeeper should have GSPs is that they are like the proverbial canary in the coal mine. I consider mine an early warning system for a parameter imbalance. For example, when you said yours hadn't extended for 6 days, I knew right away your readings were not correct.

FWIW, you should also be testing for kH and Calcium.
    "Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study Hard. Be evil."

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrivian View Post
    One question relating to this thread in general. Do GSPs have any known benefit from calcium, magnesium, iodine, strontium, or iron dosing?
    Quote Originally Posted by wwest View Post
    As far as i know they don't, however soft corals and some other corals dont like direct iodine so i would stay away from that.
    Iodine... yes stay away from that.

Reef-safe IODIDE is the ticket. And most hard and soft corals think it's yummy. Seachem has a great product that is nearly impossible to overdose. I get the best extension and growth when using it.

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDubya View Post
    FWIW, you should also be testing for kH and Calcium.
    I do test KH, but i don't have a calcium test kit yet. Are GSPs sensitive to calcium levels? I didn't think it was all that critical for them. I do use Reef Crystals for the water, and that is supposed to have some more calcium. Point taken though.

Good comment on the canary thing. I will have to keep an eye on them from here on and see how they react to various things. Oh, as an update, they are extended now and browning up at the tips (fingers) a little.
    Samuel

Thanks
    As I am discovering... there are very few testable parameters from our aquariums that are not inter-related. "If A then B then C" types of stuff. With Calcium and KH you don't want to see levels drop too low. Then when you dose, you want to make sure things are done properly and things don't get too high.

For me, I think calcium and KH are two of the most impportant parameters to test because depending on what you keep in your tank, they are most prone to pretty dramatic swings. And of course - as we all should know - it's the severe swings that are bad for our livestock, not the minor changes. Of course, we have no way of keeping things balanced unless we can monitor those levels.

Bottom line? I take really good care of my tanks, and test weekly. My Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are pretty much always the same. My calcium and KH are constantly on the move. So which do you think are truly important to test for? (Answer: ALL of them! )

With regards to GSP, I have personally found that whn KH is optimal, and calcium is a touch on the high side, EVERYTHING - from corraline agae to your GSPs will grow much faster and look much nicer. I have no evidence other than observation to back that up, but that's how it seems to be for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDubya View Post
    ...I have personally found that whn KH is optimal, and calcium is a touch on the high side, EVERYTHING - from corraline agae to your GSPs will grow much faster and look much nicer. I have no evidence other than observation to back that up, but that's how it seems to be for me.
    i would just like to re-iterate this..
    when you Ca Mg and Alk are right on, it just makes the tank look so much better..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    And re-iterating Rob's re-iteration...

The bottom line is that in some things there is right and there is wrong. I know that we all try to have respect for different methods of reefkeeping here, but basic water parameters DO - NOT - CHANGE.

While I am still struggling to understand some of the chemistry behind it all, I know what my goal numbers are. I test and dose weekly to attain those figures. And IMHO, we should all work hard to keep optimal water quality for our livestock. (Emphasis... LIVE-stock.)

All that and it just makes the tank look so much better...

Thread Information