Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xenia Fragging Video - Podcast Episode 29

Thanks

Xenia Fragging Video - Podcast Episode 29

In this quick episode i am releasing a how to video, this one is on fragging Xenia coral, please check it out and let me know what you think. I had done this video a long time ago, so it was never really intended as a podcast video, but should help you out. If its received well, i may do more in the future

Here is the link to subscribe to the feed

Or click here to download the individual episode

Watch the video here

And Please consider taking the listner survey
    Last edited by Rob; 09-10-2007 at 02:08 AM.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Perfect video thanks for posting. I have a bunch of xenia to frag this weekend and it was perfect.
    Tony K.
    ------------------
    Building 110 gallon mixed reef tank, yahoo!!!!

This message was posted using recycled electrons.

Thanks
    great, thats for the feedback
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Nice little video. I don't have any xenia but I am always trying to learn more about my marine environment. I could probably use the same techinque to frag my Capnella.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Great how to, after all a picture is worth a million words !!!! Hope to see more video clips in the future.

Thanks
    Welcome to TR TacoBell!! *had to give u the official welcome even though we have chatted*

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gwen_o_lyn
    Welcome to TR TacoBell!! *had to give u the official welcome even though we have chatted*
    Thank you gwen , I have really enjoyed the site its tops! IM one of those who needs someone to draw me a picture and even then I may not get it But a video makes me Look like a fast Learner!

Thanks
    Love the videa idea Rob!

But, for some reason, the Xenia IME are the only corals in my tank that I DON'T want to propogate! They are multiplying and taking over my tank! I've got to weed them out and trade them for some new corals! :-)

Would you ever consider doing some videos of fragging Sarcophyton or Mushroom Anenomes?

Cheers,
    Christi

Thanks
    i have done Sarcophyton, but it was before i had the idea of doing videos.
    i only have one small colony left, so if that grows well, i will do that one and make a video of it.

i agree with the Xenia, and personally i classify Zoathids, and mushrooms together with xenia in that "grows like weeds" category...lol

i will likely being doing some stony coral frag videos next, once mine get ready to frag again.

Thanks
    Great...looking forward to it!

yeah...my zooanthids have definitely multiplied, but it's been under control and NOTHING compared to the way the xenia suddenly appear in new spots in the tank and a week later are a whole colony! Well, maybe it will pay off someday when I can trade them with someone for some LPS or SPS!

Have a great day!
    Christi

Thanks
    The neat thing about Xenia is that there is always a demand. It doesn't ship well so the various LFS are more than willing to give you trades/store credit for them.

They also make wonderful additions to refugia and lit sumps. A lot of folks have "Xenia Sumps" in hopes of filtering water. I'm not sure how efficient this is, but any 'idea' is worth looking into.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thanks
    Hey Dave,

thanks for the tips! Do you know if Xenia are good nitrate/phosphate filters? I thought I had heard that they were pretty finicky if water quality isn't good...so I kind of always keep an eye on how they look in terms of having a feeling of how the tank is going.

But to have them in our new refugium is a great idea!

Cheers from snowy Sweden!

Christi

Thanks
    Christi... First and foremost.. Hello to you in Snowy Sweden. As I type today from Boston, it is snowing very hard with up to 6" predicted. More further west where I live. I can't wait for some vacation time!

I've been skeptical of claims that Xenia is the new "macro" for nutrient export, but do read up on the various posts, threads, and articles covering the matter. The most famous of all the 'sources' is GARF themselves. You can read up on it here: http://www.garf.org/28/xenia/xiniabed.html

I do have a couple pom pom xenia in my seahorse tank, just because I can They don't take off like they did in my reef tank. Otherwise, as with Green Star Polyps, and some zoanthids, I tend to stay clear of soft corals that will run amok in my system(s). I'm sure that there is SOME uptake by Xenia, but I just couldn't make any claims as to whether or not it is significant enough for me to switch from macro algae to a full blown "Xenia Farm".

Regards,

Dave

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

I can't get this episode to download into iTunes

When I do an update it says it is "downloading this episode" but when complete it still shows the "get" buton next to the episode.

If I click on the episode description it tries to download it again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Yes, if your MP3 player or iPod is not capable of video files, you may have a conflict in successfully downloading and using it on the player. Instead of using the various pod feed softwares (like iTunes), manually download from the site and watch it with your preferred video software.

Dave

Thanks
    Yeah...I had the same problem downloading the video, although I am subscribed to the podcast through iTunes. I thought maybe it was because I am a Mac user....
    I am able to download other videos though.

BUT, it does work by just going directly to the site and watching it through Quicktime or RealPlayer, etc.

Christi

Thanks
    I just manually downloaded and watched in Quicktime. Why I did this before lunch I don't know I can smell the Xenia from here...

And to boot.. fragging softies with a Little Ceaser hat on.. is that what I got on my last pizza!

Dave

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Nice video on fraggin a Xenia...Also the techinique could be used on just about any soft coral. I would assume plastic toothpicks would be the best for this application.

Thanks
    well first off, there is somethign with the feed, i am goign to be removing the file from the feed becuase peoples iTunes try to download it EVERY time it checks teh feed, killing my bandwidth. i tried the "ipod video" format and i still have issues with it. so i will have to do some more research before i release another on in the feed.

The video will remain availible on the site though, so dont worry about that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickman2
    Nice video on fraggin a Xenia...Also the techinique could be used on just about any soft coral. I would assume plastic toothpicks would be the best for this application.
    i used wooden tooth picks, but im sure plastic would be fine as long as they are round (no hard edges, as that will cut down through the tissue releasing the cutting)

Thanks
    Trickman- Welcome to TR!!

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    hmm im a mac user, itunes tried downloading it 3 times but failed. is their a link i on the website where i can download it manually. btw i have the latest osx and itunes.

Thanks
    Welcome to TR,
    its not a mac thing, as i do everything on the mac, so im sure everything is compatible...
    if you check back a few posts i explain the issues,
    its basically that the file is not in the right iTunes format for a video podcast.

if you go to the first post in this tread you will see where you can download it manually.

if you have any issues just let me know

Thanks
    Welcome to TR Shockdude!!

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks Rob, btw followed your podcast from day 1.. mentioned your show on http://www.masa.asn.au/ when your podcast was released.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information