Thread: Yellow Clown Goby

Thanks

Yellow Clown Goby

So, I bought a yellow clown goby. I think he is quite unique and fun to watch, he reminds me of a dog for some reason. He is a terrible swimmer, but he's got mad parking skills.

So, here's my question.

I think the poor guy is stressed. I also do not think he is eating. Of course, I am not watching the tank 24/7... but when I feed the tank, he does not compete for food, he doesn't seem to eat, and he *does* do his retarded swimming thing around the perimiter of the tank. It almost seems like he's trying to get away from all the fun.

Today I really was observing him closely... he looks like he's got zits! A bunch of little bumps all over his body. Not white, just yellow. So, Now I am worried.

Suggestions?
    "Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study Hard. Be evil."

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Thanks
    I don't think I can be of much help, but how about a picture of your new funny yellow dog?

Thanks
    I'll try...

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Thanks
    Was it eating at the store?
    Gwen - 2008 Atlanta Reef Club Board
    MACNA XX Committee
    125g RR AGA "The Simple Reef Tank"

Thanks
    Don't know. Can't get an answer.

The little bumps seem to be down. But I still haven't seen him eat.

Thanks
    how long has he been in your tank? 3 or 4 days im guessing?

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    No, going on 2 weeks now.

Thanks
    Hey Jeff,

How tolerant is he of you whwn you put your hands in the tank?

The reason I ask is that I had one many years ago, he used to hang out right above a clam in my tank(ballsy little guy) and by the top of the tank swimming around the sides of the glass. I took this as normal at least for him. I was able to feed him by hand. Have you tried this? Maybe at first take some tweezers and a little piece of shrimp and see if you can lure him over.
    "Jim" - always learning

Thanks

Yellow Clown Goby : The Last Appearance

OK, so I have confirmation on the clown goby and his final disposition.

Man this sucked.

So, today I installed an HOB skimmer. When I did that, I took apart my canister and dropped in two bags of charcoal. When I did that, I poured out the remaining water because I noticed there was a little bit of detritus down there at the bottom.

So it was all cool.

I hooked everything back up, pumped in the water like normal, fired it up, and out came the customary rush of bubbles... followed by what I can only describe as “Yellow Clown Goby Snow.” It was kinda disgusting. Of course, there wasn’t a whole lot there before it disappeared, mostly skin and bones, and there wasn’t much afterwards either. But a lot of what was left was definitely yellow.

Anyhow, we have confirmation, it’s toast.

We also have one more reason to believe that canister fliters suck.

Hopefully since there isn’t much left to decompose, I don’t have any long-term water quality issues. Fortunately, I was already prepped to do a water change, so I may have dodged a bullet there.

Really it’s all a bit embarassing I suppose. Even though I didn’t have anything to do with it dying. It starved to death, wasn’t my fault. It was just kinda wierd how it all went down, and I figured I would share.

Thanks
    I don't want to sound mean, but just trying to get a point across. As reefkeepers, we are ultimately responsible for everything that happens in our tank. We are playing God to a fragile ecosystem, and therefore we are in control.

Sorry about your clown.
    Gwen - 2008 Atlanta Reef Club Board
    MACNA XX Committee
    125g RR AGA "The Simple Reef Tank"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwen_o_lyn View Post
    I don't want to sound mean, but just trying to get a point across. As reefkeepers, we are ultimately responsible for everything that happens in our tank. We are playing God to a fragile ecosystem, and therefore we are in control.
    I don't disagree with you.

However, I challenge you to tell me what I could have done differently to save this fish.

Thanks
    OK, so I don't know what the fricking issue is with me and yellow clown gobies, but I bought a new one about a month ago, and it is definitely heading down the same path to eventual death.

This is REALLY frustrating to me. In six months, I have lost a small clownfish to a nasty (and obvious) parasitic infection, and my other YCG, which never ate anything, just went in the opposite direction of any food and wasted away until it starved to death.

So, silly me, I bought another one. What can I say, I like this fish! It's mannerisms are endearing to me.

Nothing is hassling this fish. When I first bought her, eating habits seemed normal and I was stoked! However, since then, it is becoming increasingly picky. Now it will go up to the food when I feed (I have been trying to feed the tank LESS since I got the protein skimmer and removed my fluval - right now I am feeding about every second or third day). I am feeding flake food and a bunch of frozen, including blood worms, mysis shrimp, and a mixture that has a bunch of greens in it. I feed the one with nori less frequently because no on seems to like it. I also frequently mix in cyclopeeze with any of those others. I also feed live baby brine shrimp about once a week. When I do the BBS I generally overfeed a little, but the tank has no problem cleaning out the little buggers!

This little YCG has no conflicts I have witnessed in the tank. I have a little neon goby I can hardly wait to get rid of, but he mainly pesters my largest clown, not her.

Suggestions before I rip my tank apart? I am not going to watch this one waste away. If I have to rip my tank apart to get her out and into quarrantine, then I will.

Thanks
    i would looking at feeding more often, at least once or twice a day, try a bit more target feeding if possible.
    also try a garlic extract soak, i have found that works well to entice finicky eater.
    start by putting a drop or two in the water about 2-4 minutes before you feed, then let the flake food soak for a few minutes in the same extract and then feed.

just a suggestion, hope it helps
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Check out this FAQ and other related Gobioid at Wet Web Media:

GobiodonFAQs

In particular, read the thread titled: Yellow Clown Goby with "parasites"

It should also be noted that Yellow Clown Gobies, or Gobioids in general, do NOT tolerate degrading water conditions. They are a scaled fish, but do not fare well with swings of their environment. It has been noted that they create a mucous much like mandarins do, to assist in this issue of irritants and reaction to said irritants (much like a scaleless fish). The slightest rise in nitrate, nitrite, amonia etc. causes them to stress.

They are also a bugger to kept properly fed....

The bottom line...they are easily stressed fish. Soo.. with that said, stressed fish are succeptible to disease or infestation. This is why I firmly believe that MOST tanks contain ich and that it only becomes a problem when you buy that "special fish" that is a swimming nerve cell.. IE.. YCBs, Tangs.. and BANG.. the new fish has ich, while the others do not.

Best of luck! I wish I knew more about them. Personally, after seeing a pair strip an acro (breeding response) in a friend's system, I kept away from them.

Dave
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

"Fins to the left...Fins to the Right, I'm going home to play with my reef tonight..."

If you're looking for me, and I'm MIA from the board, email me at JustDavidP (at) gmail (dot) com.

Experience in aquaria, 37 years. Experience in marine, 22+ years. Experience in Reef Keeping, 8 years. Always a newbie!

Thread Information