Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to DanaMcK's 240g and 180g Dream Tanks

Thanks

The Road to DanaMcK's 240g and 180g Dream Tanks

Please note: this is an extension of some posts that I started in the "show us your tank" thread. Rob & I decided that this would be a better place for these posts. After getting these posted, I will delete the similar (but much less detailed) posts in that section.

The following is a brief history of the various tanks I've had over the last 35+ years. Feel free to skip to the next post if I bore you.

The Beginning

I have been into aquariums since I was a young boy. I thank my uncle for getting me hooked. I remember him having 5 or 6 tanks, and despite it being in the late 1960's he was doing some pretty cool things. I remember him telling me that the most important thing was strong water circulation, and I never forgot that.

Over the next few decades, I would always have some kind of aquarium. Usually it was a small 10 or 20 gallon. I remember at age 16 trying to breed fresh water angels (I had a mated pair that laid eggs on my heater often) with no success.

The Middle

When I moved to California in 1981, I decided it was time to go saltwater. My first salt tank was a 55 gallon and used an undergravel filter with power heads. Even with such limited technology, I found it quite easy to keep most marine fish.

In 1989, I married my best friend in the world. At that time, we lived in a small 2-story townhouse. Despite it's size, we had 3 aquariums, all salt. The 35 hex was in the bedroom, and was my wife's tank. If I remember correctly, it had a small Flame Angel, a Cherub Angel, a Royal Gramma, and a few small Butterfly fish. Of course, like all the tanks, it used undergravel filtration and coral skeletons. My old 55 gallon found a home in the Living Room.

And in the Guest Bedroom - a 240 gallon tank. A friend of mine was moving out of the area, and could not take his tank with him, so I ended up getting an amazing deal on the tank. I couldn't afford a stand or canopy - so it sat on cinder blocks and plywood. In hind site, this was a blessing - as the tank survived the big earthquake we had a few weeks before we got married. The house shook back and forth in the same direction as the length of the tank. So even though it shifted a half inch off the blocks, and spilled some 40 gallons of water on each side wall (and over my prized collection of Star Trek: The Original Series VHS tapes - yes I'm one of those!) the tank made it. And despite a loss of power for 24 hours, so did all the fish in all the tanks. I was very lucky.

In 1992, my son was born. Because the townhouse was a 2-bedroom, and Kyle would be getting bedroom #2, I had to say goodbye to the 240. Of course, it's a trade I was happy to make!

The Beginning of The End (or Going Off the Deep End)

In 1993, we moved into a new house. At the same time, a friend of mine wanted a smaller tank, and I wanted a bigger - so we traded. He got my 55 and I got his 100. I got the better end of the trade, though if I remember correctly, some cash was involved!

A year later, I purchased my "dream tank" - a 125 with a beautiful gloss black stand and canopy. I remember telling my wife that this was the biggest tank I would ever want, or something to that effect. I would later eat those words. This was my first use of a wet/dry filter (I'm very old school and slow to change). This tank also is what pushed me off the deep end. I think it was around 1996 when I added a beautiful little 2" juv. French Angel. Over the next many years he would grow so much that I was forced to remove fish to keep the tank from being extremely over-crowded (though it was still over-crowded). It soon became apparent that either the fish had to go, or I needed a bigger tank. So with my wife's approval, and an "I told you so", I set off to learn all I could learn and design what would hopefully become my "real" dream tank.

I remembered having this 240 gallon many years ago ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Pretty angel.
    -Matt
    My Tank Journal
    Visit my website: The House of Move

Thanks

My Dream Tank - Take 1

I spent the next several months researching, planning, and designing. I mean, I made cad drawings of the tank, stand, plumbing, electrical, you name it. This was going to be a text book lesson in "how to set up your dream tank". As you will soon learn, nothing could have been further from the truth!

The Best Layed Plans

So, after much agonizing, I decided to get a 240 acrylic tank. I really wanted a 300 since it was the same width (8') and depth (2'), but I was concerned that the additional 6" of height (30" vs. 24" for the 240) would make it hard to work on and clean the tank. This is one of the few things I got right!

The hardest part of the decision making proccess was tank location vs. size. In order to fit a tank of this size, the only location in the house where it would fit was ... the garage. Now - it is a finished garage that we had turned into a game room. And I figured this could become my fish room. Some added benefits ... the garage stayed cool in the summer (no chiller would be needed) and there was no direct sunlight to deal with (our house is all windows - so direct sunlight has always been an issue.) I wouldn't have to be as carefull when working on the tank with regards to minor spills (cheap carpet over concrete slab.) And because it was in the middle of the garage, i would have easy access to all four sides. Perhaps the best benefit was knowing that if the tank suffered a major failure, the water would run out of the garage into the street rather than ruin the house. Seemed very logical to me. My wife didn't think it was the best idea and was concerned that we wouldn't enjoy the tank as much if it wasn't in the main part of the house. I convinced her we would.

I had a local company called TruVu custom make the tank. Really the only difference between their stock 240 and mine was that I wanted the 2 overflows to be 2' from each side of the tank, rather than in each corner. OK - this I got correct as well, as the tank is veiwed from 3 sides, so 1/4 of the side is not taken up by the overflows. Is it just me, or do other people out there love to view thier tanks from the side and dream of owning an aquarium that deep!

The stand and canopy were to be made of maple. I had the stand made an extra 6" high to give me extra room under the tank for all the needed equipment. A few weeks later, the tank, stand and canopy were delivered ... the day before we were to leave for a week vacation in San Diego! Ugggh!

Teaching an Old Dog Some New Tricks

During my research, I learned all about the benefits of using live rock as the primary form of filtration. I learned the importance of protein skimmers. I learned that the bio-balls in the wet/dry were big-time nitrate producers. I learned how canister filters, if not cleaned often, were also nitrate producers. I learned that refugiums were becoming more and more important in aquarium set ups. Jeez - about the only thing I didn't learn is the importance of strong water flow (thanks Uncle Ray). Have I mentioned I'm "old school"?

Because this was to be a fish only tank, I decided to combine some old school with some new school. From the old school: I would keep my wet/dry and it's bio-balls (the tank was going to have a large fish load) and my canister filter. I would use DLS material in the overflows. I would also keep the UV Sterilizer. And I was going to continue using crush coral substrate and coral skeleton decorations (don't say it!)

So what new school technology would I add? A good skimmer. And a refugium. And so, plans in hand, hundreds of dollars in pvc parts, I was ready.

4 Days to Aquarium Heaven ... Not!

I took a few extra days off from work to set up the tank. Adding the weekend in, this gave me a full 4 days to set up the new tank and take down the old one, more than enough. After all, I had all my plans and drawings, what could go wrong. LOTS! OK - the tank DID NOT explode when I filled it with water. So that's a good thing!

The first mistake was discovering that the holes TruVu drilled in the overflows were too small for the heavy duty bulkheads I purchased from my local sprinkler store. I had no idea that 1" bulkheads of different quality need different size holes. So I had to use the more standard bulkheads, which seem a bit fragile to me.

Oh - did I say 1" bulheads for a 240 gallon tank. Yep - that would be mistake #2. Let's not go there.

Another huge mistake was plumbing the wet/dry and refugium completely separate. One overflow fed the wet/dry, one the refugium. One pump in the wet/dry fed one return, and an identical pump in the refugium fed the other return. In a perfect world, this should have worked. Despite using identical pumps, they actually had slightly different outputs. And despite being perfectly level, the right overflow fed more water. Results? It was impossible to balance the wet/dry and refugium for more than a few days before one or the other need tweaking. This wasn't going to work long term.

OK - let's quickly recap some of the other issues I had:
    * The canister filter I got from a friend leaked
    * so did the UV (my fault - tightened the clamp a bit too hard and warped the plastic intake of my Coralfe Sterilizer)
    * I filled my tank with crap water (I had never used RO/DI, but knew that I needed to. The dealer where I purchased the RO/DI unit told me that the "waste water" was actually RO water and the other output was RO/DI. Since this was a fish only tank, I figured RO was just fine, so I used both. I later learned exactly what "waste water" was. So about 75% of the water in my tank was crap, just slightly better than tap (and we have horrid tap water!) I learned this when I got a HUGE diatom algae bloom a few days after setting up the tank. Many 50 gallon water changes later, I got the water to an acceptable quality.

And # 1 on Casey Kasem's countdown of my Top 40 mistakes I made when setting up my dream tank - using coal skeletons rather than switching over to live rock. I'll address that in my "take 2" post.

Looking Back

Despite all the problems, the fish all loved the new tank, especially the French Angel. So it wasn't a total loss! And yes - that's a thriving Moorish Idol (who thrived right up until the point I found him being eaten alive by my one hermit crab, a hermit that was 1/30th the size of the Moorish Idol.) The Moorish Idol died a week later. The hermit crab was not as lucky. And the tank included two of my second favorite fish in the world - the Golden Butterfly. Yep - Moorish Idols are my favorite.

I look back at these photos fondly now. At the time, there were many nights when I sat underneath the tank cursing it. Of course, 3am in the morning is not the best time for rational thought! But I learned a lot. And so I decided to try again. This time my plan WOULD work. And it would be easy. Or so I thought ...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sweet tanks, bet you miss your angels alot eh?
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Fish- 1 Percula Clown, Black fin Shrimp Goby

Clown and Goby are just chilling in the NanoCube 12

120 almost ready for re-cycle

Thanks
    Josh -

Yes - big time. There's something about a fish that lives for over a decade and changes before your eyes. They are, to me, as much of a pet as a cat and dog. They have unique personalities and moods and swear they recognize me from other people.

Of well - in a perfect world, two large tanks. One for the big angels and butterfly fish, one for the corals. I hope my wife doesn't see this!

Thanks
    Very nice tanks!
    Gwen - 2008 Atlanta Reef Club Board
    MACNA XX Committee
    125g RR AGA "The Simple Reef Tank"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Beautiful!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thank you all for the compliments. Tonight I will post my transition to live rock. And when I'm finished, you will see that these posts do belong here - as I am about to embark on my next dream tank!

Thanks

My Dream Tank - Take 2

My dream tank was finally set up. Through MUCH trial and error, I was able to get the wet/dry and refugium somewhat balanced. The fish were very happy. But I wasn't. Something wasn't right. I was spending WAY too much time on maintainence. I was constantly fighting high nitrates and brown algae. Bleaching coral skeletons was getting to be a real drag. Something had to change ...

Honey, I Need to Spend More Money

Prior to setting up my 240, I had read about the benefits of live rock. Yet I chose not to use it. Why? I guess I could blame it on the cost. 200 - 250 lbs of live rock was not going to be cheap. The tank project had already gone over budget.

But I think the real reason was that I felt to "experiment" with a completely different way of maintaining fish in a newly set up 240 was a bit daunting. I'm so old school. But after additional reading, talking to my LFS, more reading, and lots of internet searches (including this site!) - I came to the conclusion that it was time to "get with the program" and embrace natural filtration. As difficult as it was for me to finally come to this decision, I knew my wife would be even harder. Boy was I wrong. She was as frustrated as I was with the huge amount of time I had been spending on the tank. And when I explained the benefits of live rock, she agreed!

"You're Going To Put That In Your Tank?"

I informed my LFS that I was in the market for 175 lbs of live rock. My LFS informed me that they had a shipment coming in from Tonga next week. I asked my LFS if they would call me the second it arrived. My LFS said they would. And they did. When I arrived there were about a dozen large boxes of beautiful live rock. The owner of the LFS helped me select the best pieces, and gave me some tips on curing and setting up the rock.

I spent the rest of the evening cleaning and inspecting the rock. Over the next 4 weeks, I cured the rock in my 2 55 gallon water tanks. In my garage. For a few weeks, my garage was not a fun place to be! Holy cow - 175 lbs of uncurred live rock really stinks up the joint! I think it was at that point that my wife began to question our marriage and my sanity. "You're going to put THAT in your tank?" Uh - yes.

D-Day

4 weeks later, out came the coral skeletons and crushed coral substrate. In came the live sand and the live rock. I did the entire transformation with my fish still in the tank. I am happy to report that they all made it! And they all LOVED the live rock. For days they were more interested in picking at the live rock than they were eating their regular food!

OK - I have to admit - one fish didn't make it. My six-line wrasse was the happiest of all the fish after the addition of the live rock. That is, right up until he got stuck in a hole in the rock. I mean REALLY stuck. It took several hours of gentle pushing with a piece of airline tubing and pulling with my fingers on his head to get him out. He swam into the rocks, and I never saw him again. I really loved that fish. I guess my hermit crabs did, too.

At the same time, I also re-plumbed my tank so that both the wet/dry and the refugium shared a single large external pump. What a difference this made! No more tweaking. No more worrying about what would happen if one of the two pumps died (I knew exactly what would have happened - and it would have been bad!)

Anyway, two weeks later I removed half of the bio-balls in my wet/dry. Two weeks after that, the rest. And guess what? NO spike in ammonia or nitrites. And some great things started happening. My nitrates went down. And my refugium FINALLY took off. I was happy. Sort of. My wife asked me if I was finally finished messing with the tank. I wasn't. But I'm sure you, my fellow hobbyists, already knew that!

Thanks
    That is an amazing Fish Tank! Good luck

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ill say it once and ill say it again, those fish are amazing!!!!

Im beginning to believe corals cost more than they're worth
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm really enjoying your thread Dana.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thank you all for the kind words. It's been a lot of fun going down memory lane and remembering the old tanks, the problems and the solutions, and all those great fish. I can't wait to get to the current incarnation of the tank and talk about the new tank I am planning.

Thanks

My Dream Tank - Take 3

Everything was going quite well. The fish seemed very happy and were thriving. The French Angel was beginning to reach full adult size. The Emperor Angel had almost completely changed over to his adult form. And I added a beautiful juvenile Queen Angel, my third favorite fish. Remember this fish. She plays a key role in what is to come ...

The Smelly Garage Strikes Back

Have I ever mentioned that I have a 75 gallon in the Master Bedroom? I didn't think so. This is my wife's tank. It was stocked with her favorite fish. And it was decorated with fake corals and rock (not skeletons - but artificial) and was quite pretty. And while she truly did not like the look of live rock, she understood the benefits of using it. She also saw how well the fish were doing in the 240. So she asked me to convert her tank over to live rock. I really love my wife!

So back to the LFS for more rock. Same deal - first dibs on a brand new shipment. While searching for pieces that would fit her tank, I found it. The most beautiful - gigantic piece of live rock I have ever seen. The piece must have weighed 60 lbs by itself. I knew I wanted to add more rock to the 240, but had planned on waiting a while (like after the credit card bill came in and I picked up my wife off the floor!) But it was too perfect. So I "snuck" it in with her live rock.

And for another few weeks, our garage was once again a place you did not want to be.

Be Afraid ... Be Very Afraid

In the meantime, there were a few changes I wanted to make in the 240. I needed more water circulation, but hated the look of powerheads in the tank (remember this as well - I will later eat these words.) And so I embarked on the scariest thing I've ever done to any of my fish tanks ... I drilled a 2" hole in the back of my 240 ... while it was set up and running. Some of you are saying this is no big deal, and looking back it really wasn't. But at the time ...

I drained about 25% of the water out and drilled the hole. I had a friend hold a large cup inside the tank to catch the acrylic shavings. I then drilled 4 one-inch holes on the top for the returns. Another trip to the plumbing store. Another night staying up till 3am. And another lesson in "I don't know half as much as I think I know". When I finally got everything up and running, I learned a new word - cavitation. Long story short - I went through 3 different pumps till I found the right one to match my needs. Come to think of it, I've still got to sell those pumps on ebay.

I have included a photo of the closed loop, and it's working great. I use it to eliminate dead spots behind the live rock.

Just One More Thing

"Honey, I need a better protein skimmer" / "How much?" / "Umm ... it's a really good one" / "I'm sure it is. How much?" / "Umm ... around $650" / "What?" / "Yes, but I can pay for it by selling all stuff I'm not using any more" / "Oh, like the pumps?" / Umm ... yeah, and the fake corals I took out of your tank and the coral skeletons out of mine" / "OK - get it" / "I love you" / "Uh-huh"

Disaster

One day I was feeding my fish and I noticed the water seemed cold. I thought it was me. After all - the temp control on the heater said it was 79. I did notice that the fish didn't seem as hungry as they usually did. Very odd.

A few days later, I had my whole arm in the tank, and I noticed the water seemed REALLY cold. The temp control on the heater read 80. Something was wrong. I got out a spare thermometer and guess what it said? 67 degrees. Oh crap! My 500 watt heater had failed and wasn't turning on the heating element because it thought the tank was toasty warm. On that day I learned a valuable lesson. I now use 2 heaters (set at different temps, the second only comes on if the main were to fail to turn on.) And I use 2 thermometers.

I slowly raised the temp over the next 24 hours. And the fish returned to their normal hungry selves. All except my Queen Angel (remember her?) She stopped eating. Over the next month, I tried EVERY food I could get my hands on. She seemed interested, and was out swimming with the other fish, but refused to eat. After about 6 weeks, she died. I found her one morning and scooped her out. She had not been dead for long, as the hermit crabs had yet to find her.

A few days later, the fish started flashing against the rocks. The next day - the dreaded white spots of ich. Every fish came down with horrible ich, and my one fear of a tank with live rock had come true. I couldn't dose with copper like I would do in the old days. And yes - I quarantine all my livestock before adding them to the tank (see photo - one is for corals and inverts, one if for fish.)

I remember thinking that this hobby was supposed to be fun. But as the saying goes, everything happens for a reason ...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    that really blows, love the pics though, im really enjoying this thread :/
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    Thanks Josh -

and yes - having an outbreak of ich in any tmnk, let alone a 240, does blow. But, believe it or not, this is what finally made me go to the dark side, I mean reef!

Thanks
    Wow, this thread is like reading a good book. I am anxious for the next installment!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrivian View Post
    Wow, this thread is like reading a good book. I am anxious for the next installment!
    no kidding

MORE DANAMCK MORE!!!!
    :P
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    Thanks Astrivian and Josh. It's nice to know I'm entertaining other people than just myself! I have been hammered at work this last week, but I will make the next post soon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hammered at work??? Most people get fired for that :s

Can i get a job wher you work??
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    I realize that being a beer taster might sound like a fun job, but it's really a lot of work. I mean, for every good beer I get to drink, I have to drink 4 or 5 bad ones. It's really tough!

Very funny, Josh!

Thanks
    Oh crap! Sorry Josh, I just checked your profile and learned your 16. So let me say it now before anyone else does - drinking is bad and you should just say "no"!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danamck View Post
    Oh crap! Sorry Josh, I just checked your profile and learned your 16. So let me say it now before anyone else does - drinking is bad and you should just say "no"!

Lmao, nice one

Trust me, with my brother going on drinking binges everyh other day and tghe people i work with going t ars anymore, its a miracle i dont drink

But i realise spending money on beer for a week coud buy me a nice new coral when i finaly get my tank up and running
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'll insert my ad here; The reason I walk with crutches is a drunk driver hit me head on. Even if you do decide to drink when you are old enough DON"T DRINK & DRIVE.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    uhuh, i dont see myself drinking alot anyways

come to think of it, i dont even have my licence yet *bites nails *
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information