Thread: Pink Birds Nest - Seriatopora Hystrix SPS Coral Inquiry.

Thanks

Question Pink Birds Nest - Seriatopora Hystrix SPS Coral Inquiry.

Hello everyone, my girlfriend brought me home from what appears to be a very bad conditioned Pink Birds Nest - Seriatopora Hystrix SPS Coral about 1 week ago. When I got it I would say about 80% of the Corals body is dark brown to near black coloration Their are a few tips with about 1 inch in length that are white with minor pink coloration. They local fish store knows us and I guess decided that he did not have the time needed to care for this coral and was given to my girlfriend for me. (Please forgive me but I'm currently not home to post photographs at the moment.) I have acclimated it to my system and the pink coloration has increased to be very vivid. My questions are as follows:

1. What are the general requirements and care for this particular Acrapora?

2. Should the White and Pink colored areas of the coral be fragged off from the rest of what appears to be a dieing coral?

3. Other then increase in length and new structural growth how can I tell that this particular coral or for Acropora's in general are showing new signs of growth?

4. Is their anything I can do to increase the survival rate of this particular coral within my reef aquarium?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If the pink coloration has returned you are probably doing everything right. I personally, would leave it alone. You'll be able to see growth in a lengthening of the current branches and new branches. These are slow growing corals so be patient.

What lighting are you using?
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Amphibious, I'm currently using a 150 watt 10,000k Metal Halide lighting system with 2 45 watt Power Compact 50/50 daylight/actinic bulbs for 10 hours and running two 1 watt white lunar lights during the night. (I will eventually change the 50/50 bulbs for pure actinics).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Morning Jay,

I believe I have a tiny frag of this coral. It's under 175W 10K MH and doing fine. Here's a pic of mine. Does it look anything like yours?

Amphibious

Thanks
    Good morning Amphibious, the photograph you posted is exactly like mine except yours is extremely healthy. What color would indicate growth on this particular coral? Would it be the pink color or do we have to just tell by the length of the branches. because I have area where their white with brownish tips at the end. (I will post a photograph tonight when I get home.) Beautiful frag thought. :-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    When I first got the frag from reeffarmers.com it was all white. This was in April. I was really disapointed. It seemed to take for ever to actually see new growth. Then one day the tips turned pink and I was elated. This coral is a slow grower, IMHO, but it is a beauty. Here's a pic from April.

Not much to look at and $80 worth plus shipping. I bought 10 frags from them so shipping was divided between them but, still was surprised at the size. Now, as shown in the post above, it's getting growth and color. It's going to be one of my favorite.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Definitely a beautiful specimen indeed. I'm gathering that the Brown and Black parts are either dead or dieing on my coral.

Thanks
    Here are the photographs that I promised. This first photograph was taken about 1 week ago and the second was taken this afternoon. I don't know if it signifies growth or death?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Often a coral in stress will continue to regress. I'd hang on to it and hope for the best. Try different light intensities by raising or lowering it in the tank if possible. I believe it doesn't need the brightest light. Are you seeing any polyp extension?

Good luck with it.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Amphibious, I have not seen any Polyp extension with this coral. Just an increase in the pink coloration on certain branches of the coral. I actually fragged the white with pink colored areas of some of the branches to see if I can get a better outcome with the fragged pieces.

Thanks
    Wow that does look bad. Wish you luck getting it back to health. One of the best looking corals IMO. [hint] So if anyone has a frag they want to send my way. [/hint]

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Probably a good idea. Keep us informed.
    Amphibious

Thanks
    Well I'm definitely going to frag the rest of the coral later on today so I can get all of the good pieces out and see if they do better then the colony. The frags that I cut are extremely small maybe just about 1/4 of an inch in length. When they grow more I will definitely be willing to send some to some of the talking reef members. Would anyone have any other corals that they would be interested in trading for a frag?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBeDriften View Post

1. What are the general requirements and care for this particular Acrapora?
    Well, it's not an Acropora sp., you already mentioned it. It's Seriatopora. The general requirements are about the same as an Acro species.

2. Should the White and Pink colored areas of the coral be fragged off from the rest of what appears to be a dieing coral?

Yes, but I would leave some healthy tips with the colony. It could bounce back..

3. Other then increase in length and new structural growth how can I tell that this particular coral or for Acropora's in general are showing new signs of growth?

The "white tips" is a good sign.

4. Is their anything I can do to increase the survival rate of this particular coral within my reef aquarium?

Good, dispersed flow, adequate lighting, and good overall parameters.. temp, alk, and salinity being the topmost priority. My office computer here is not displaying your pics somewhat, but let's see if I can view this from home.

hope that helps

Thread Information