Thread: alohaz people!!!

Thanks

alohaz people!!!

hey there,
    i got another topic for you that may be interesting to beginning reefers.
    you can make a show on calcium reactors and how they work. in addition to my new 75 gallon that you discussed in the last podcast im installing a geo calcium reactor 6x12 from premiumaquatics. my question is how do i control my reactor with a ph controler? does calcium effect ph?? i thought alkalinity did. any whoo the ph monitor i was intending to get is the pinpoint ph monitor w/ probe which cost $90. but i was told the Pinpoint pH Controller w/probe is better, cost $190. both specs are the same, would you know the difference?? im guessing the controller is the one i need to control the ph.
    http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch..._Code=Pinpoint

latez,
    mike
    (oh and im a dude, i guess pham411 was a bad sn)

Thanks
    Welcome to TR Mike

Thanks
    mahalo gwen!
    its great to be a part of something new, i really love this site, i didnt know about it untill the reefkeeping podcast.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pham411
    mahalo gwen!
    its great to be a part of something new, i really love this site, i didnt know about it untill the reefkeeping podcast.
    Yeah, its a very cool place, I love it here!!! I want more people here though!! Rob did good getting TR on reefkeeping... so hopefully we will get more people!!! Bring all ur friends Mike!!!

Thanks
    haha ok ill spread the word.

Thanks
    Awesome!! Yay!!

Thanks
    ok, let see if i can help you out here. first of all, yes, im planning on doing a show on calcium reactors just havent done it yet..

Quote Originally Posted by pham411
    hey there,
    i got another topic for you that may be interesting to beginning reefers.
    you can make a show on calcium reactors and how they work. in addition to my new 75 gallon that you discussed in the last podcast im installing a geo calcium reactor 6x12 from premiumaquatics. my question is how do i control my reactor with a ph controler? does calcium effect ph??
    calcium does not but alkalinity does. a calcium reactor can also thought of as and Alk reactor and the solution it uses to replenish alkalinity has a very high Ca level.

basically the reason you need to "control" PH in the reactor is becuase in order to disolve the media into calcium the PH in the ractor needs to be at about 6.5. the main point of the monitor/controlelr is to maintin this level. a higher level will cause the rector to be ineffective at disolving the media, and any lower will cause the ph in your tank to drop too much.

i thought alkalinity did. any whoo the ph monitor i was intending to get is the pinpoint ph monitor w/ probe which cost $90. but i was told the Pinpoint pH Controller w/probe is better, cost $190. both specs are the same, would you know the difference?? im guessing the controller is the one i need to control the ph.
    ok, they are basically the same thing. the easy way to think of it is that a monitor will simply monitor the PH ans display the reading on a screen, a controller will monitor the PH and "control" and electronic device in relation to that level.

in other words if you could "control" (with a controller) the ph in your tank by having the controller conencted to a pump that feeds the reactor or to the CO2 solenoid. when the PH drops past a certain point it will shut the water flow or CO2 flow to the reactor off.
    you can effectively use a monitor, but it will require that you manually adjust and monitor the PH.

hope this helps, if you have more questiosn let me know.

check out ReefIndex for bunch or information.

of course feel freee to ask them here if you haev more, im not sending you away..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thread Information