Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Fry's 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thnx for the tip, right now im only running @ 50% salt water (half of what it should be that is), for two reasons, 1- Just in case i need to drain it again becuase of a freak leak, 2- Want to kill off more of the corals, however, i'd like an I.D if anyone could facilitate. I know the chances of saving it are impossible but i'd like to know whats dead in my tank
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Fish- 1 Percula Clown, Black fin Shrimp Goby

Clown and Goby are just chilling in the NanoCube 12

120 almost ready for re-cycle

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    4got to post the pic

I also provided with a pic as of right now.,

Btw, dont worry about that shadow, its only viewable at just the right angle, and its nowhere near that obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Just thought id post some parameters.

Salt- 1.025
    pH- 8.0
    Nitrite- 0.25
    Nitrate- 10

I use the chemical tests so this may not be all that accurate.
    I also lost my ammonia test kit so iunno what that is at
    Any comments lay em on me.
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    went back to my favorite fishy store in toronto and picked up another 95 lbs of liverock

As well, i thought this was a bonus, i picked up two corals in the liverock tanks

1- Some sort of acro
    2- what i belive to be a green stag

Coral #1 i believe is gone, however the green one is showing full polyp extension and excellent colour.
    So i am excited and hoping that this coral will make it.

As well, i know have a big project in the future.
    The owner said they were bringing in new merchandise and needed room.
    So, i almost bought a 6 foot 120gallon (only $100).

Then however, the owner brought us over to one of his torn-down display's

180 6'x2'x2'

drilled with
    -dual corner overflows
    -Closed loop with wavysea
    -80 gallon sump/fuge
    -seperate acrylic skimmer display tank with RS200 Euro-Reef Skimmer
    Completely plumbed, running smooth for three months.

Grand Total= $2000

This is going to be an office setup im going to do for my dad (I want it so bad for me though ) He is moving buildings so you guys will see the new journal in 4-6 months most likely.

Pics of the coral and tank (picking up sunday) comign soon
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Update,

i took a trip to Tropicorium in Romulus Michigan (OMG, the best store i have ever been in) a couple days ago
    and i picked up a few things

-Two HUGE Balls of Chaeto for fuge- $10
    -12 Medium Turbos for Display
    -2 lbs. of LR Rubble for Fuge
    -3 1lb chunks of LR for fuge
    -2 1lb chunks of LR for display

So this gave me the first official cretures in my tank (woohooo)

Today, i went to an LFS right by my work and picked up
    -10 GIGANTIC turbos ($20 cdn.) for display
    -10 Burroring (Aesarius i think he said) Snails ($5 cdn.) for display

This upped the cleaning crew in the DT to 22 Turbos and 10 Aesarius

As soon as i find my camera ill snap some shots for y'all
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Watch those big turbos. They are "reef safe" but they really like much cooler temps than we keep our tanks at and usually only live a few months at the temps our fish like.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    good to know

after being in florida for a week, i came home to find some algae on the glass and cyano obn half of the sand, my mystery acro has now retained it's full colour, and also seems to be growing ()

I did have one small rock with aptaisia on it that i took out of the tank and left under the lights.

I came back and i found one thats like 1mm wide, and another i didn't even notice for some reason that's about 1.5" in width

so yeah, we'll do some testing and see when im ready for some fish.

Im pretty sure the store in toronto carries the type of nudibranch that eat aptasia. But ill see about borrowing a copperband and some peppermint shrimp until it's all under control.
    Last edited by Small Fry; 07-12-2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: grrr
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The only problem with berghia is that they only eat aptasia & will starve once it is gone. You could see if the store will let you trade once they are all gone.
    Last edited by CarmieJo; 07-13-2007 at 09:39 PM.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i actually hit the big one with some JJ that i had laying around, it took it in and instantly shrivelled. Having experience with this before im not extremely hopeful, but we'll see tomorow
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Small Fry View Post
    okay. First off, i got my first pay check today, it was $162, so im figuring out if i can do anything with that. .

yeah milestone territory . Welcome to the land of the working little dude. Your perception with regard to the cost of living will now spiral out of control for ever...lol

Now repeat after me " i owe, i owe, its off to work i go! "

Your get your overflow issue sorted?

Im just going to mention one piece of advice right now & its not to upset you bud. Dont travel the hobby blind. Even when your at the top of you game you should know what your planning on keeping & how to keep it. "Its an acro something", esspecially when you intend to purchase it should not wash. I know its in with your rock, not singling your choices, just offering advice in advance. Youve got the skills bud, i see it in you posts, your natral progression is prob far superior than mine @ your age.
    There's no momentium loss by pin-pointing a species you see or like, then hoping online, source TR (Just for you Rob ) or in the libary to find some relible information. Looking @ the complexities of living organisms i'd admit is not everyones cup of tea, however at least trying to make an effort on the "why" they need certain elements to survive, & how your going to provide them will elivate you beyond most in hobby.
    New cash is rolling in, keep it in check & resist impulsive buying till you can positivly say mentally " this area here ( You looking @ your tank) Will have your (coral) ideal parmeters just for you"
    Once you know, impulse buy away

Im constantly impressed looking @ you progression. The only other time that happens is when the towel drops in the bathroom. Good work!

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    TY for the words of wisdom Verrian. It's very comforting to know im part of a group that watch out for eachother, and a place where i know i can go and get good advice on whatever the topic.

I took your advice and went web-surfing, and i believe i found the type of coral in my tank.
    i won't be sure until i post a picture of it but i believe it is an acropora yongei-

The lights are now on a timer just because i have living things in there, so ill snap a good pic with lights on and full polyp extension tomorow, just for a comparison

For now, i have some pics of before and after i added that extra bit of LR to the DT.

AND BONUS
    i have the money shots of my new and improved fuge, enjoy.

P.S if u look closely at the top right hand of the rock, u can see teh coral in question.....slightely...
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ran by my lfs today and picked up 3 blue legged hermits for my DT. At this point they seem to be thriving. and have seemed to clean the cyano growing on my sandbed right up, so i am happy with these.

Lucky me, i had a quarter of a bottle of joes juice left over from my nano, unfortunately, it was dried up. But afterb shooting a cupple of eyedroppers full of water into the bottle and mxing, it worked as good as new.

I shot it right at the opening of the one large aptaisia and it took it right in, this was about a week ago, and i didn't want to post that "i beat the aptaisia" until i was sure. Even at this point, i can't be sure that it's not lurking behind the rockj somewhere waiting to pop out.

Bonus news, one of the LFS's a little further from the one right beside my work revamped alot, he took it from cichlids and a little salt to 100% salt water corals and fish.
    I didn't know he had revamped until i walked in and saw the 10 foot cascading coral tank, and walls of fish, coral, and live rock.

I believe i will be taking most of my business to him in my comparison of the two shops today.- upon getting my hermits, the owner of the store by my work asked me abotu my tank, to which i said it was almost done cycling, i just wanted to ease into things more or less. she responded (in a very heavy accent :s) "buy damsels, they are very good for you water, and if they don't die, your tank is ready for more fish."

Now, who would you go to when you have a store like that, and then go to another lfs where the owner demands a water sample from all new tanks before selling you anything. word for word, he said he would not sell me anything until i brought in a sample so he could test it for free, i was very impressed by this, as i have never seen real passion for the hobbyby any LFS owners in my area for a long time.

so sorry for the long post all (for those who read through it ), but im just excited to have found a great LFS that i can trust (btw, i'll still run through all the proper new fish tests and stuff. Dont think im letting my guard down *shakes finger*). But yeah, they even have the "true" clownfish patterns i like. So im gonna runn in tomorow for some tests before work, and we'll see where that'll leave me.

Thnx for reading
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Josh,

You are right, patronize the store that won't sell until your tank is ready!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    so verrian, you did get me thinking a great deal on the architecture and stocking of the tank, to be honest, i hadn't really thought a lot on the topic myself, just getting water in the tank was enough

i think wa=hat i'd like to do in the grand scheme of things is to have acros lining the top of the tank with some montis branching out from the sides, a clam or two in the middle of the tank (more-or less a showpiece) and then some softies in the lopwer portion of the tank.

Creature-wise i'd like to have

two pairs of shrimp- cleaners, and blood (i never thought i would want blood shrimp, but i kind of connected to them once i had them in my nano)

Pair of clowns, Regal Tang, yellow tang or powder blue tang, mandarins (much later, of course). a sixline wrasse, a scooter blenny, maybe a small group of chromis, cleaner goby, hi fin gobys, not quite sure what else.

Now don't get all worried yet all. This is merely a wish-lish of fish, i have yet to research all these fish (don't worry i will) to make sure of their compatibility with each-other and with inverts.

And you won't crush me if you say i can't have this or that, and i have too much of this. I can handle it all, i'd rather have some advice than a dead tank becuase one fish wasn't right.

So, i'm off to hit those fishy books, feel free to post any advice, thnx guys
    Last edited by Small Fry; 07-17-2007 at 12:43 AM.
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    properly set-up tanks are not unlike a game of snooker, every purchase can indeed have an impact on the rest. your working the angles now, visulise the path & work out possible variables. Live in grey & never be static with your choices & always plan for mid adult sizing of your animals even when juvi's purchased.

eg. clowns hosting in the lower reaches of the tank, in compition with your night crawler. Acro's vareties in the mid/ top reaches, grazing grounds for your tangs who happen to have hozontial territories. All that excitment creates fast moving shade spots that trigger your clams to contract perodicly. Prob a BS example, however varibles exist

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    truthfully, i have no idea what snooker is, but your example spoke for itself.

It's already difficult trying to plot out the course of my tank, but i still have a week or so to go until it will be ready for a fish or two. and until then, you can bet ill be writing stuff down and tripple checking every book and resource i have to ensure that will work out

thnx for the advice V
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    although i do have to trust the decisions i make, i will be looking out to TR for "approval" on most of my tank additions. This way i won't be running into anything blindly. I appreciate all the help i've gotten, and hope you guys can use your experience to help me through this new adventure.

btw, you do not give your advice the credit it deserves V, it helps alot more than you think.

P.S. I believe i have amphipods runnign around my tank now, yey
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    no prob bud, thats what we're here for.

snooker is billards. long stick you sink balls with on a table.

I know it may be contrary to everything we just mentioned, but sometimes you have to take your chances with animals. albeit calculated. The guides don't give rise to individual temperments. Its like saying all americans are cool, thats a stereo type & it doesn't speak for individuality. which we all know its only the aussies that are the real cool cats anyways! lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by veriann View Post
    which we all know its only the aussies that are the real cool cats anyways! lol
    lol, of course V

you just keep it comin don't you??
    that's a very good thing to know, and you explained it extremely well. I must admit that that fact had not really occured to me, but it does make sense to me, and it will probably make the choosing proccess a little bit easier for me.

couple questions for you all though, (suppose i was ready), should i start off with the cleaner shrimp or fish. and if fish, would it be okay starting with clowns?? or would they be too territorial to start off with??? (percs btw)

Now, for the shrimp, would i be okay going with a pair of cleaners and a pair of blood shrimp? I haven't checked up on that yet, and i always thought that mixing shrimp was not good. But then i saw a DT in a store in the states with a pair of each, and the owner said they had been getting along just fine. So would a 5' tank be enough for them to thrive, even if there is a small temperment issue???

I know there isn't a rule written in stone, but i'm sure many of you have gone through this stage and i am sure you can offer some sort of insight.
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Josh, be aware that the sixline will compete with the mandarin for pods. That's not to say that you can't have both but your tank will have to be able to support a mandarin that may never eat anything else and a sixline that thinks they are a delicious snack.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    thats a very good point, and that has been on my mind. its very difficult to decide, cuz they're both some of my favorites... still though, it won't be a while till i make that decision.
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    btw, it is comfirmed that i have amphipods. Upon seeing pics of others and stuff, i confirmed that the "underwater potato bugs" (dubbed by my brother) are in fact amphipods, and turning on my basement lights after lights-off, the pods were scatterin left and right. So i am heppy with the proggress
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    aperantly taking sand from the established tank for my fuge was the right thing to do. Not only do i have snails i didnt put in there myself. But i have two (so far) baby starfish (or somthing shaped like a star that looks exactly like a starfish )

Pics to come, i just got off work so im too lazy to go find a camera
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well i got my params tested at my LFS today (the one i like) and they turned out really good.
    He didnt give me it written so im going off rough memory.

Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 5.0
    ammonia- 0
    P.H- don't remember exactly but said it was perfect.
    Calcium- 340 (im going to get some calcium buffer on friday, they were out today)

I was tempted to get a pair of clowns, cuz they had some beauties. but i decided against it. Ive been having slight temp fluctuations, so i wanted to get a canopy on with fans to cool down the Mh's, a temp controller (i can get a medusa for $150??? worth it??) and then i need to buy an auto topooff unit.

But yeah, i finally remembered to take some picks of my acro, believe its a green slimer, but see for yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Josh,

Is that a single phase temp controller? I'm thinking that with your tank in the basement you probably won't have heat issues that will require a chiller so a single phase will probably be all you need.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information