Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Fry's 120

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Gosh I envy you. My parents probably wont let me even think about purchasing another tank bigger than the 55g I have. And i don't have any relatives into the hobby either. Not that I have the money to even purchase a fish bowl. But we simply don't have the space.
    what do you plan to put in the tank? And have you ever thought about applying for a job at your lfs? Thats what I plan to do when I'm old enough for a job.
    alea iacta est

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    okay. First off, i got my first pay check today, it was $162, so im figuring out if i can do anything with that. Im gonna look into an Ro/Di filter first, then we'll see.

Im planning on going reef, acros, some softies, u know ill basically play it by ear.

And i would have applied for a joob at one of my LFs', but none of them are stable , like they're either new, or they're just not up to my standard. Besides, the hours would either be too short, or way too long for me, and i'd probably get angry not knowing hor much money ill be able to make in a certain time :s

Besides, when i was approached for my job at subway, she said i could start working tomorow (last tomorow ) and i need cash so i took it.

But perhaps when i can see what kind of storesa i have, there is a really good SW store, about two doors down from my subway (wonder why i took the job )

so i walk over there to check out their stock and thats where i get picked up everyday.

Anyhow, perhaps when i see this store is doing good, i will apply for a really part-time job there cuz working at SW is somewhat boring, and theres no bettr job then one that lets you do the things you love.
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Fish- 1 Percula Clown, Black fin Shrimp Goby

Clown and Goby are just chilling in the NanoCube 12

120 almost ready for re-cycle

Blog Entries
    Thanks

*update*

okay, upon checking the classifieds of my canadian reefing site, i noticed a kent maxima hi-s, 100 GPD Ro filter on for $75, needless to say i willl be picking up on this incredible price
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    Find out if the the unit has been unhooked for awhile. If the membrane has dried you will have to replace it. Also find out how old the RO membrane is. It may need replace if it's old. I have been looking into getting a new RO/DI unit. Mine isn't that old but I am not too happy with it . For what it cost to replace the filters and membrane I could get a new unit.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    thnx for the tip
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Small Fry ,
    Great job on that stand. You are really doing this the right way. When I was your age ( eshh now I sound like my father) I would not have the patience to buy the right equipment the first time. An RODI is, IMO, the most important piece of equipment for a reef. Do you self a favor and document every step of construction and setup with pictures. You never know when you will need them and they might help those that have questions about getting started. Plus when your tank is TOTM we will all want to see how you did it. Keep it up!!
    My Backyard

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    you know what cabbage? just for you im going to post an update. not a whole lot has happened lately, but there has been some proggress. The stand is almost finished except for the corner finishing peices and colour, i think im painting it black, becuase it wiil go with my basement.Got some pics for you. enjoy

one shows the front stand, another the door on the side, another the 35 gallon fuge, and the last a diagonal tank shot showing the second 35 gallon tank sitting on the table, i may have to build a stand so i can put them in the room behind the tank because there is not room for both in the stand

And im with you on Patience Cabbage, you have no idea how much its killing me to have so little proggress on this tank, my mom and dad even asked me what damage it would do if a kept FW in it for a while until i kept supplies. but im saving my money for an r/o filter first (the $75 deal fell thru, will have to pay full price now ) But i will be happy if i can get this thing at least plumbed by christmas, and running by may (my bday). Im not one for gradually getting stuff, like lights skimmer etc.... im not going to start the system running until it is complete. it may not be necesary, but i dont want to have a tank, yet not be able to put corals in it because i dont have lights yet ya know??

But anyhow i got a new job at subway, so funds are slowly rising, proggress will start to become obvious. Next steps: Ro/Di filter, canopy, and skimmer (im toying with the diy skimmer, talking to people who have made them and have had success)

but thnx for your comments cabbage
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Josh,

As hard as it is to wait you will have a tank to be proud of. And working for it will make you appreciate it even more.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I feel your pain! I am not going to get to start mine until December.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Josh is that side door going to be used for an electrical panel or is it for access to plumbing/sump area? Stand looks first rate. Is the wood stained or is that the natural color? I know exactly how you feel about waiting. I have two kids and they consume most of the budget. Just be sure to get what you want and don't settle for something just because you can afford it (within reason of course). Keep up the good work and keep us updated!
    My Backyard

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    Josh is that side door going to be used for an electrical panel or is it for access to plumbing/sump area? Stand looks first rate. Is the wood stained or is that the natural color? I know exactly how you feel about waiting. I have two kids and they consume most of the budget. Just be sure to get what you want and don't settle for something just because you can afford it (within reason of course). Keep up the good work and keep us updated!
    The doors were going to be for side acces to sump and stuff, and maybe some electrical. Even though im not sure how much i need them now, i may just take of the hinges and screw the panels on, as it seems the stand area may be empty now.

The stand is natural right now, and i want to just seal it because the wood colour is sooooo qourgeous

but there are some blemishes and errors that may become aperant when sealed. so i will probably paint it black, which will still loook nice.

I will keep you posted as to any proggress made
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lighting???

Alrightey. I posted a wanted add for metal halides on the classifieds of another site. Someone replied with a 6 foot fixture consisting of 3 -175 watt metal halides and two 48" actinics. For $300. Now i see the problem, an extra foot. but this is a hamilton fixture and looks to be and easy one to retro. ive priced out my options for 250-watts and for everything (3 fixtures) it would cost me about $900. I do not beleive i will use this fixture for 175's forever, as i believe all you'd need to do is change the ballasts to 250's if i wanted to upgrade right?? (correct me if im wrong)

I also have an option (i think) for 3 175-watt retro fittting kits for $250

The only dilema i have is that do i even need to upgrade to 250-watt'ers??

My tank is 26" high, and will have a 3" sand bed. I wish to keep some acros, softies, and some clams. Im just making sure that i will be upgrading at some point, cuz if i can stick with 175's and still have good results, then ill make sure i get exactly what i need.

Thnx for any help
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lighting???

Alrightey. I posted a wanted add for metal halides on the classifieds of another site. Someone replied with a 6 foot fixture consisting of 3 -175 watt metal halides and two 48" actinics. For $300. Now i see the problem, an extra foot. but this is a hamilton fixture and looks to be and easy one to retro. ive priced out my options for 250-watts and for everything (3 fixtures) it would cost me about $900. I do not beleive i will use this fixture for 175's forever, as i believe all you'd need to do is change the ballasts to 250's if i wanted to upgrade right?? (correct me if im wrong)

I also have an option (i think) for 3 175-watt retro fittting kits for $250

The only dilema i have is that do i even need to upgrade to 250-watt'ers??

My tank is 26" high, and will have a 3" sand bed. I wish to keep some acros, softies, and some clams. Im just making sure that i will be upgrading at some point, cuz if i can stick with 175's and still have good results, then ill make sure i get exactly what i need.

I remember rob told me about the area each watt output can cover, but i dont remember, so if someone can help me out that would be great.

I have no problem upgrading to 250's in the future, as i wont need them for a while (going to let tank mature for bout a year before i put in any hardcore inverts, lol, we'll see how long i stick with that schedule )

besides, by the time i need the big watts, ill have the fundage.

And btw, dont worry about the ro/di filter, mim setting some money aside for that, i assure u i will not start without it.

Thnx for any help
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Update on lighting.
    I figured out i would have to spend another $300 on bulbs (plus 300 for the fixtures and ballast). And, that is only for 175-s watt fixtures, i would have to buy another ballast combo to upgrade to 250's
    So i kept looking and found a fixture containing 3 400-watt fixtures coming with bulbs only 7weekx old and ballast. Sweet deal if you ask me.......
    But i dont know, im so confused right now and in considering all the options im really getting messed up. I only have so much money right now and i want to spend it the right way.
    I know that i would never have to worry about anything getting too-much light with 400's on the tank (im thinking clammage )
    But is there anything i should be worrying about by putting 400's on this tank??? the rock work will of course have many nooks and caves for sensitive light corals. but is this something i should be jumping on or what.

any help on this will be greatly appreciated (u have no idea)
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    I am thinking of just using T5s and if that is not quite enough for high need entities in the deep, they shoudl do alright at higher points in the tank. With the life of the T5 bulbs and reasonable fixture (at least the current fixtures are reasonable) and retrofit prices I think its a great deal. And in a few years LEDs may be affordable...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Josh,

One thing to think about is the cost of running the lamps. I know that your parents are probably paying the electric bill but the high watt lamps will have an impact! I am not saying they are good or bad, just that there is an impact past purchase cost.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    hmmm hard decision.... I agree with Carmie on those 400's having a big dent in the light bill. I think I would focus on 250's. I think 400 is borderline overkill.

Will the lights be in a canopy or hanging?
    Gwen - 2008 Atlanta Reef Club Board
    MACNA XX Committee
    125g RR AGA "The Simple Reef Tank"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwen_o_lyn View Post
    hmmm hard decision.... I agree with Carmie on those 400's having a big dent in the light bill. I think I would focus on 250's. I think 400 is borderline overkill.

Will the lights be in a canopy or hanging?
    canopy, u guys have a point on the electricity required
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    on second though i may just stick with 175's????
    Only thing i need to know is can these support some clams in my tank. Thats the only thing im worrying about right now so if anyone could shed some light (ha,ha....) on the situation that would be great.
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    I think 3 250 watters would be nice. I don't know if the 175's would give you enough light at the bottom of the tank.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    looking at buying a Euro Reef Rs 180 protein skimmer, does anyone have any thoughts on this, or a btter skimmer to buy???
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    Have you considered a Deltec?
    Gwen - 2008 Atlanta Reef Club Board
    MACNA XX Committee
    125g RR AGA "The Simple Reef Tank"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwen_o_lyn View Post
    Have you considered a Deltec?
    i actually dont know much about those, besides the fact that they are unusual to come across and expensive, (if i remembr corectly)
    \
    but an7yhow, im looking at getting a RS8-3 Eruo Reef skimmer with two pumps on it rated for 250 gallons. i will also be expanding a bit with a 50-60g fuge underneath plus the two 35 gallon sumps behind the tank, this will make for a system of 240-250 gallons

reason i went with this is because it is $20 cheaper than a brand new rs-180 (even thought i dont think this one is used) and yeah, because its awesome
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Update Good news, and Bad news

OKAY EVERyONE

i made my first major purchase for the system today. My uber skimmer
    It is a RS8 3+ (or somthing) with dual pumps.

Retails for bout $1000, the guy gave me the receipt, he paid $1100 for the skimmer, i got it for, oh yes, thats right $450., can you say bargain???

ANYWHO, i brought it home for a test run, and nothing..... well, the pumps work, but i am only getting like, not even 100 gph (pumps are rated for 500 gph) im also not getting any bubblage (only a few huge ones).
    However when i plug the air tube going to the venturi, the pumps boot up and pump what they should be pumping, but no bubblage.

Its not hard to see that the pump is sucking through the venturi air tube (which is out of the water where it should be btw). And there is no suction from the venturi tube (the pvc water inlet) until i plug the line.

So is there a place i should look to see if water is leaking into the pump?? im going to check the seals before i go to bed just in case.

Both pumps are acting this way.

And to fill you in on the test situation it was in one of my sumps, there was not enough water to submerge the whole pump, just enough to submerge the whole inlet.

Thanks for any reply/help
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sorry, newb mistake
    Works perfectly, post pics soon
    Josh

Small Frys 120