Thread: Trying to Save some stressed Xenia...

Thanks

Trying to Save some stressed Xenia...

At my first club meeting last Thursday a bought two chunks substrate for three small attached pulsing Xenia. one had a nuisance anemone on it. We tried to frag the base to make three individual pieces and remove the Aiptasia.

Well we toasted the Aiptasia, but only got the Xenia to slime out (eww) because as hard as we hammered, we could NOT get that coral or whatever to break. On Saturday I tried to break that chunk again. It took a hand sledge and a really big (3" - I use it for breaking keystone blocks and bricks) chisel to do it, and I again stressed the hell out of the xenia. That piece of coral it was on was like a freakin iron bar. Amazing tensile strength!

Good news is that the two chunks with sressed xenia are both starting to look good, that is some pretty hardy stuff. Of course, the third (and previously unmentioned and unmolested) piece has looked great since day one.

The two chunks look like the foot was slightly damaged (or if not the foot, where they attach) but like I said, they seem to be coming back pretty well.

Well, that was until last night.

Last night I had an issue with my abalone, and had to get him out of the tank. In the process, one of my injured xenia frags fell. I put it back, but noticed it was hanging only by a thread.

This morning, it would seem that the current finished the job. The rock is stll there, but injured xenia #1 (which I thought was doing the best) is now laying behind my open frogspawn. It's alive... a bit stressed, but I can see it pulsing away.

Not knowing the anatomy of these things, I don't know what to do to save the piece. Is there something I can do to attach besides super glue? (KIDDING, no flames!)

I am going to wait until tonight to move him so as not to disturb the FS, and the two clowns that are THIS [!] close to hosting in it. The Xenia seems to bee in a pretty good spot and shouldn't get stung.

Suggestions appreciated.
    "Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study Hard. Be evil."

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Thanks
    If piece 2 & 3 are ok, then I wouldn't worry about piece #1. If xenia is happy, it grows like a weed. You will be trying to get rid of it in no time.
    Gwen - 2008 Atlanta Reef Club Board
    MACNA XX Committee
    125g RR AGA "The Simple Reef Tank"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree with Gwen. Also, leave #1 alone right where it's at. It may come around and then you can do something with it. The more you move xenia the less they like it.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    well it is n very close proximity to the frogspawn... as long as you dont see that as being a problem for either...

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would watch it and if it gets attacked by the coral then rescue it if not the xenia has a better chance of recovery. How does it look today?
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    I can only really see it at night, seems to be ok. Bottom line, it's alive...

Thread Information