Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Photomicrographic Slides

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Photomicrographic Slides

i thought this could make a great thread! feel free to add your photomicrographic pictures, or any type of picture and a break down of what it is & we have another mini learning chanel!
    i'll kick it off first, derr, cause im the one typing it!

so this picture is of a Nematocyst pouch with the brown spherical gummy bears being zooxanthellae, which if uv'e been listening to robs shows u would know they give the coral most of its color!

nem•a•to•cyst

Pronunciation: (nem'u-tu-sist", ni-mat'u-),
    n. Zool.
    an organ in coelenterates consisting of a minute capsule containing an ejectable thread that causes a sting.

wow dictonary, dont strain yourself!

definition provided by AZoNano
    By using an electronic ultra-high-speed camera, researchers have characterized the explosive discharge of stinging jellyfish nematocytes and show that this event represents one of the fastest cellular processes in nature. The research is reported by Thomas Holstein of the University of Heidelberg and his colleagues in the May 9th issue of Current Biology.

Nematocysts (also known as cnidocysts) of jellyfish and other cnidarians are giant exocytotic organelles of the stinging cells used for prey capture and defense. These miniature cellular weapons contain a cocktail of hemolytic and neurotoxic poisons, making some cnidarians the most venomous animals known. Injection of the toxins requires an effective release mechanism that breaks the physical barrier of the prey's outer-surface tissue. It was known already that a high pressure (15 MPa) drives nematocyst discharge, and that stylets can penetrate even thick crustacean shells.
    However, neither the kinetics nor the forces involved were known, simply because discharge is so fast that it had not been previously resolved by conventional high-speed imaging.

To clarify these issues, the researchers studied nematocyst discharge with an electronic framing-streak camera at a framing rate of 1,430,000 frames per second. They show discharge kinetics of nematocysts in Hydra to be as short as 700 nanoseconds, creating an acceleration of up to 5,410,000 g. The researchers calculate that although the accelerated mass is very small (~1 nanogram), a pressure generated at the site of impact is more than 7 GPa, which is in the range of that generated by some bullets, and sufficient to penetrate the cuticle of crustacean prey. The researchers propose that the high speed of discharge is caused by the release of energy stored in the stretched configuration of the collagen-polymer of the nematocyst capsule wall. This ingenious solution allows the cellular process of vesicle exocytosis to release kinetic energy in the nanosecond range by a powerful molecular spring mechanism.

hey hows that, didn't really have to type a thing...lol

more reading
    http://jellieszone.com/nematocysts.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    it amazing when you get into the details to see how impressive biology can really be...
    wow...
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah, its incredable. like take us for example we have more bacteria DNA & RNA in our body that we have of our own DNA. so who are we? lol

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    u know the best thing about Nematocyst, have a look at how much its coiled & twisted inside the pouch. im surpissed it fires at all really

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    you want one to twist yer brain..
    break down every living thing.. what do you have, a collection of cells.. those cells break down to molecules. molecules that are replaced on a regular basis..
    what we are made of is different today that what it was yesterday, and what it will be tmw.. most of our components are replaced on a daily basis at a molecular level.

and take that a bit further.. those molecules are made of atoms, and those of electrons, protons, neutrons, quarks, and gluons.. ALL of which are non living.. only when put together in a correct way, do we have something we call life.. it funny that something we call living consists 100% of non living components...
    amazing...
    ok, i will stop now..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wow, rob u scare me with the smarts in that brain!
    *ping pong time*

i'll throw that ball back at you, everything in our known universe is mathamatical,even music & to futher compond it> everything is spherical! being attracted or repelled via source generated waves or gravitaional disruption or a combination!
    so being on the atomic level,whats stopping atoms poping in & out of phaze & us being in 2 place at once?

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    ok, this is going to be a fun thread.. (im also a theoretical physics geek)
    mathematics underlies everything it truly is the universal language

now, i would not use the word spherical, but would say symmetrical..
    if you were to ask a physicists what the most important discovery was, it would be, that everything is made of atoms, and if you asked them what the second most important thing is, it would be that symmetry abounds the universe... symmetry underlies biology, relatively, mechanics, and even points us to the the how the universe began...

so being on the atomic level,whats stopping atoms poping in & out of phaze & us being in 2 place at once?
    actually this is exactly what they do.. the underlying rule of quantum mechanics is what's called the uncertainty principle. this principle, literally allows for particles to be in two different locations at the same time... not that they move so fast that it looks like they are, but that they truly CAN be. and we can not predict with 100% certanty where it will be even a moment later, or where was even a moment before.. we can only state the probability that it was or will be here or there

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    symmetrical, gotcha, i stand corrected!

so what your telling me is ur top brains believe it happens, but with an infinate combination within 3 dimensional space! what of the other dimensions & what mechanism governs its movements

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    not sure i know what you mean...
    believe it happens??
    and the movement of what through the 3 dimensions.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    atoms & matter transference

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    not sure i totally get what what your asking.. movement of particles is controlled by a multitude of thing.. most most of which is determined by their energy.

as for the dimensions.. this is where you get into Super String / M Theory.. using M theory, its is thought that there are not 3, but 10 spacial dimensions plus time, gives you 11 space time dimensions. according to M theory, matter particle (closed strings) are restrained to our known 3 spacial dimensions, leaving only gravity to pass through to other dimensions.

if i missed yer question totally, just clarify and i will try again..

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ok i;ll ask in a different way.

if i used the bubble chamber experment as an example! u have a holding medium consisting of atoms bound extremely closely! u also have the containment vessile, in the case of atoms poping in & out of phaze, do they pass through other atoms in a beta phaze causing a reaction on those atoms?. i belive in the phaze translocations but trying to get a handle on the reactive force of an atom suddening appearing in another point in 3 dim space simaltaniously without exerting atomic pressures on the surounding space or the space where another atom existed before the shift!

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    ok.. i get what your saying...
    so of you have a sealed container, whats preventing everything from coming out, based on the fact that they can spontaneously move about...

well actually, there is a phenomena referred to as quantum tunneling that allows just this to happen.

looking at it from a classical mechanical point of view, the particle has to travel out of the container, to appear on the other side, however, if you look at a particle wave function (its probability wave, showing the mathematical probability of where it will be found) you would see there there is a small probability that it can be on the outside of the container.. and in just some cases this does happen.. now this probability is very low, and so it is very unlikely to happen, however, it "could happen". in this case, the particle tunneled right through the container...

and just to that point, if you were to spend eternity walking into a wall, eventually, you will pass right trough it as if it wasn't there... now the probability of this is so low, i dont recommend trying it.. but it is "possible"

its also important to remember that when discussing particle physics, we must refer to particles.... to ask why, when i look at my car, do i always see it there.. and not here and there... you are referring to particles that have collected and have under gone stage 2 wave function collapse

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    im not happy with that theroy, however slim the chances are, that mars bar & bourbon can i just consumed, 100% of it may or may not be still in my tummy! thanks for the pong pong session rob, TBC at another date

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    just think about it... if you sit there log enough that mars bar and bourbon "could" just appear in your stomach..

yes, lets continue at some point.. i love this stuff..

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    yeah but ur to trusting, i might be a russan spy proding for american secrets on how to make a new bourbon bomb

yeah definately fill this thread with any & all topic's, with a few that it started with too,lol, so we can at least pass it off as reef based .

im definately interested in these fields as well, granted i dont have as many references up my sleve as u do rob! but i can still taint the cooking pot with my dribble!

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I love the science stuff!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I'll just watch re-runs of Quantum Leap...LOL
    You guys blow my mind!!!
    "Just a Whole Bowl Of Wrong"

Thanks
    Ok you lost me at.....

photomicrographic pictures

Thanks
    HAHAHAHA I barely get the water chemistry crap. I need an excedrin after even trying to follow this.
    "Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study Hard. Be evil."

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Rob, Veriann, are they calling us weird?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Wierd? No. Geeks ? Maybe.

Smarter than me? Probably. At least on this subject for certain.
    "Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study Hard. Be evil."

Abolish the IRS! Bring transparency and accountability to tax policy - close all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation. Support the Fair Tax plan... visit http://www.fairtax.org

Thanks
    duh??? what happened to the photomicrographic pictures???? :-)
    Christi

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    the site moves quick, & posts are lost down the rabbit hole RB

Vquilibrium Productions

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    like the long lost cookie you find down the back of the coutch, yes i second that notion RB, hang on a sec, we lost RB as well....lol

umm yeah.....so photomicrographic slides....who's next???

Vquilibrium Productions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information