Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tangs?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Tangs?

:idea: Is there a type of tang i can keep in a 55g tank? i like yellow and blue hippo tangs, but they said i need a tank of at least 80g for 1.

Thanks
    you could to a Kole tang easily, and if there is enough open space in the tank you might be able to pull off a Yellow tang, but thats about it. Paracanthurus hepatus (AKA -blue tangs, hippo tangs, blue surgeons) need at least 75 gallon, but larger is prefered. and just about every other tang requires at least a 100 gallon or larger tank.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I have a yellow tang in my 55g tank and it seems to be doing great. It has been in there for about a year and has become buddies with my velvet wrasse. They hang out all the time and even eat together.
    Have a great day,

Tom and Liz

Thanks
    i have to agree there, i a have had my yellow tang for about a bit over a month. and within 20 minute sof putting it into my tank it was making friends with my Foxface. they are very friendly and seem to be quite passive fish, and there are (at least mine is) a riot to watch, they do some goofy things
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    y should u keep only one yellow tang?

Thanks
    tangs tend to be aggresive towards towards each other.
    you can usualy avoid this by doing one of two things
    1.) introduce them together at a young age
    2.) keep tangs with different body shapes.

Tangs are less likely to be aggressive with each other if there body shapes are different. the more the difference the better, but two of the same species, especially if introduced at tifferent times, can fight to the death. i have seen it with Blue Surgeons. so the normal recommendation is to keep them as individuals, unless you get a pair that are somehow already aquainted and tolerant of each other.

Thanks
    If it were me I would only place one tang in a 55. A Yellow Hawaiian Tang is a nice choice and will eat lots of algae. Be sure to add him last to the tank that way all the other fish will have time to pick their territories. Yellow tangs can be very aggressive toward other fish but mine the one I have know is a sweet heart.
    Take care
    Visit my site!!
    www.mmota.homestead.com

Thanks
    i had a yellow tang which killed my flasher wrase and my shap nose puffer i wonder if it would be able to live with my undulated trigger.
    Live life to the fullest you next breath is not promised to you!!

Thanks
    it should be fine, however, yellow tangs are not normally that aggressive

Thanks
    yeah i know he was a freak he acually would seek out the other fish amony the rocks to 'hunt' / kill them. Most aggresive fish i had but i guess fish are like people that way some are passive and others are psyco killers.
    thanks Rob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjvolitan
    yeah i know he was a freak he acually would seek out the other fish amony the rocks to 'hunt' / kill them. Most aggresive fish i had but i guess fish are like people that way some are passive and others are psyco killers.
    thanks Rob
    if you can start out with the smallest and youngest of yellow tangs, they tend to be much more peacefu. big ones, especially well established ones tend to be very territorial. if you let the fish population dwindle down to just the yellow tang, it becomes very risky to add new fish.

Thanks
    thanks Walrus.
    That tang was added last to a tank which i thought would curb the aggresion. And it was only like 2.5 inches but like i said he was psyco.the other fish were very peacful though flasher wrasse firfish and such. He was placed in a larger tank and is quite happy now with more aggresive larger fish.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    it should be fine, however, yellow tangs are not normally that aggressive
    I've actually read just the opposite... and that they tend to be very aggressive.

Here is what Marine Fishes says, "Can be very aggressive once established, especially in a smaller tank. It may refuse to tolerate the presence of other tangs or surgeonfishes. Keep only one, except in large tanks (135 gal or 511 L), where groups should be introduced simultaneously."

Thanks
    thats because a yellow tang in a small tank feels oh so.....POOFY.
    USA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat walrus
    thats because a yellow tang in a small tank feels oh so.....POOFY.
    oh goodness!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwen_o_lyn
    I've actually read just the opposite... and that they tend to be very aggressive.

Here is what Marine Fishes says, "Can be very aggressive once established, especially in a smaller tank. It may refuse to tolerate the presence of other tangs or surgeonfishes. Keep only one, except in large tanks (135 gal or 511 L), where groups should be introduced simultaneously."
    Yes, gwen you are right.. they are agressive by nature.
    what i was refering to is that i have not seen them to be that aggressive, as described by Cjvolitan.

sorry, i should have been more specific..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Yes, gwen you are right.. they are agressive by nature.
    what i was refering to is that i have not seen them to be that aggressive, as described by Cjvolitan.

sorry, i should have been more specific..
    I've read many many posts about aggressive tangs... I never read about nice yellow tangs... except yours

Thanks
    The tang was in an 80 gallon conertank. And it was only there for about 3 weeks before i took him back to the supplier. He was a freak like i said and by no means represents all yellow tangs.
    I love yellow tang and they are great fish under most cercumstances but that tang i had did not belong in my tank with small pecful defenseless fish. Rip Flashey- the long fin flsher wrase
    Rip ghosty- the pearly jaw fish.

Thanks
    dont get me wrong.. mine is nice now that is used to its tank mated but in the beginning it wasnt exactly nice.. it just wasnt as bad as Cjvolitan described his being, none of my tangs have been that bad

Thanks
    oh yeah one more thing i did not name those fish that my girlfreind and my little sitter named them that.

Thanks
    Those are cute names for fish

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    i have a yellow tang that is pretty peacful to all the other fish do you think i could put a young blue tang with it

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Slush and to TR. Thanks for jumping in!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    well i have a blue tang in a 29 gallon biocube!! yah i know it sounds CRAZY! but... it has been in ther for almost a year now so i think its doing pretty well, seeing that ther are 2 blue chromis, 2 clown fish, a orange spotted goby and a fire fish, al these animals are living suprisingly well with each other considering such tight quarters but they all seem quite at home... my clownfish are even hosting and the tang has gotten ick like twice and got rd of it by itself both times... im pretty lucky... i think you could take a blue tang in your tank if you have the right tank mates.
    Paper or Plastic?

PlasticReefer

Thanks
    i started with a 35 gal tank. i kept it a year and a half and upgraded to a 55 gal. when i did that the first fish i bought was a $27 yellow tang about 3 inches long. 4 months later i sprung for a $50 blue tang no bigger than a half dollar! (he was soooo cute!) i didn't have any real problem with them. they settled in pretty quick together. about a year later i bought a 5"sailfin tang from a friend for $40. the yellow tang hid from the sailfin. the blue tang made friends and only squabbled once in a great while. they got use to each other and lived for 5 months in the 55 gal. tank until recently. i have them in a 90gal. now and all are getting along. the yellow don't hide anymore and the fish seem happier with the added room! they are all still under 6.5 inches with the blue still being the smallest. i know eventually they will outgrow this tank so i am now planing a 250 gal display tank to be put in the living room. (hopefully in the next 8 to 10 months. i will be documenting the journey! once i do that i will be adding two more tangs on my wish list a gorges purple and nice naso.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information