Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What temperature controller are you using?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question What temperature controller are you using?

So I have to replace my Aquanetics temp controller. What controller are you using? Is it single stage or dual? Is anyone using anything like this http://www.automatedaquariums.com/ that uses a computer to control your aquarium? Thanks.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    i like to keep it simple, reliable, and accurate. check out MEDUSA 2. it's 2 phase. i love it.......and the probe is replaceable.
    USA

Thanks
    Carmie, I am using a Neptune Systems Aquacontroller JR. If you are looking for something to do more than just control temp it is very nice. I have several posts in my journal about it. I was running it in stand alone and it was controlling my lights, generating waves with my powerheads, my heaters and reading my PH and temp. I programmed it from the unit and it was fairly simple.

I just hooked it up to my PC and now I can control it from anywhere using www.logmein.com which is free. In addition I get data collection and alarms via E-mail and even pager. I get data like this:

The price with backlit display and PH probe is between $275 and $300. But when you consider the price of livestock and corals that is insurance!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Duane,

So if you want to use it as a controller you would have to purchase a probe, right? Will it control both a heater & a chiller or only one or the other?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I use Reefkeeper 2 for lights, temps and as a PH monitor, very reliable and easy to use
    http://www.digitalaquatics.com/reefkeeper2.html

Thanks
    thanks, filatelico
    that is the one i was trying to remember...
    i was looking at that one, so you have been happy with it?
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good stuff. Thanks all.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Carmie sorry for the delay. Yes, it will control both a chiller and a heater. I did a bunch of homework before I bought and I compared it to the reefkeeper. I cannot remember all of the stuff that was different, but the AC Jr. came out on top and was cheaper.

BTW, you avatar looks like crap! Oh my fault it's the Buckeye logo.......LOL!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    O-hi-o!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Rob, sorry for the late reply, I guess I need to check my posts

Yes, I’m very happy, the set up took me at most 10 minutes. Before that I had a bunch of timers not any more , in my setup it controls 5 lights, 1 Fan, 1 Thermostat, and the Powerheads.

A few notes:

1. I’m now able to control the temperature easer, I turn on the fan when temp goes above 80,5, off when it comes to 80, and the thermostat on when it goes to 79.5 and off at 80....also I like that you can turn off each light if the tank reaches a specific temperature, in my case I turn off the HQI at 82....In case something goes wrong with the fan.
    2. I have the PH Probe, but only use it for monitor, not sure what is the use for controlling, but you have the option (I guess a reactor?).
    3. I don’t use the wave maker option, but with 1 button I can have my powerheads on standby for any period of time.

Basically you can play with any input on/off based on Temp, Time, and PH and only 3 cables (temp probe, ph probe and power outlet)

I also like the blue backlight

Thanks
    thats awesome...
    did you do any comparison with that and the aquacontroller?
    i cant seem to find the difference that woudl make it so much cheaper..

in other words, it looks liek ti has all the good stuff, why so much cheaper..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Rob from what I have read there is not a downfall to the AC JR that causes the cheaper price. I think it is just cheaper. I did find this post that summed it up.:

I have the AquaController Jr. and it is awesome. There are several things that tipped me toward the AC Jr. when I was making my purchase decision between the RK2 and the AC Jr.:

1) The AC Jr. is more configurable than the RK2.
    2) The AC Jr. is easily expandable to 12 fully controllable channels -- the RK2 only has 8.
    3) The AC Jr. with pH probe and 8-outlet box was cheaper than the RK2.

Other things which I didn't care about, are that the AC Jr. if purchased with the serial port option can be hooked up to a PC and controlled/monitored via the web.

Items #1 and #2 have proven to be extremely valuable to me in actual use. Especially item #2. I recently upgraded my lighting and was having an issue where the ballasts would trip my GFI. That shut down my whole setup. I have 3 ballasts that I wanted to individually control. I added the "Heavy Duty" DC-4HD to my DC-8 and can now fully control each individual ballast on the DC-4 while leaving the DC-8 for other items (pumps, heater, fans, skimmer, etc.). If I had purchased the RK2 I would not have been able to accomplish this without 3 additional wall outlets and 3 additional expansion units -- leaving me with only 5 outlets remaining on the main unit. Now if my lights happen to trip the GFI, nothing else will be affected.

So for me, configurability and expandability and cost are the main differences in favor of the AC Jr.

I am not sure how flexible the RK2 is, but the AC Jr is pretty flexible. For example tonight I added a couple lines to my program to randomize my 2 powerheads ON/OFF (run between 1 and 20 minutes then off between 1 and 45 minutes) and then I programmed them to turn off when my lights go off, there by calming the tank at night.

I love the thing.

Thanks
    i use the one on my chiller
    |*****\\ARRRRRR//*****|

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    My chiller doesn't have a thermostat, you have to use a controller.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    carmie, wildeone is having a problem right now with his controller.
    USA

Thanks
    It is not a huge problem and unless you are direct connecting to a PC full time it is a non issue. I have a ground loop between my PC and the controller. It is a known issue and they have a fix, it is called a ground isolation serial connector. I call it Twenty Dollars! LOL!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am running the chiller on a timer until I figure out what to buy. I think it will work fine until the fall when the temp in the house fluctuates more. Right now with the AC it holds steady at 76.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildeone
    It is a known issue and they have a fix, it is called a ground isolation serial connector. I call it Twenty Dollars! LOL!
    why, those cheap b@$t@rds! they should just give a new connector to their customers.
    USA

Thanks
    After reading wildeone post, the AC Jr. looks like a better buy for the price, I didn’t compare the RK2 to the AC Jr before buying, I didn’t know it existed, I thought all of the AC where advance, expensive and some how complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by wildeone
    I programmed them to turn off when my lights go off, there by calming the tank at night.
    What is the idea behind calming down your tank at night?, is there any benefit?

Thanks
    question about the aqua controller...
    wit the reefkeeper, you get that plug strip that everything goes to, with the ACJr, what do you use. it doesn't indicate it comes with a plug strip like that.

Thanks
    When you go to http://www.neptunesys.com/index.htm, they have a bundle for $249.95 with a DC8 (an outlet for 8)

Thanks
    ok so once you add those up, then the prices are comparable

Thanks
    What is the idea behind calming down your tank at night?, is there any benefit?
    I know some of the other controllers turn the pumps down a bit a night. I don't think it is any benefit at all. I don't think the ocean is calmer at night is it?

Thanks
    When you go to http://www.neptunesys.com/index.htm, they have a bundle for $249.95 with a DC8 (an outlet for 8)
    I think you will also need a PH probe (about $35) and if you wan to connect it to a PC the serial port option ($30)

Thanks
    so its gonna cost me over $300 anyways.. ah.. oh well...
    will get there eventually

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information