Thread: 90 Gallon Adventure!

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks

90 Gallon Adventure!

Hello Talking Reef some of you may know me from my Biocube thread (also known as the eternal nightmare thread). My name is Elazar and Im a Floridan reef prodigy. Im now starting my dream tank which is a 90 gallon sps/lps tank I have really high hopes for this tank and Im going to make it as beautiful as possible! Come join me on this thread for future updates and discussion. Ready? Set! GO!!

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    my first problem is what am I gonna use? Im sticking to high efficiency on this tank so that means leds vortech pumps super skimmers auto dosers (the list continues but I digress). Im trying to keep the cost affordable too which makes this super tricky as I still want all my nick-nacks. So if anyone has any suggestions for an LED set (preferably just on fixture that covers the tank) that has a day and night (and possibly storm and cloud) cycle that dosnt break the bank (am I asking too much here?). Im also looking for affordable skimmers dosers and sump setups. So if anyone has any suggestions just throw em on here the more ya know!

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    So I calculated my savings for this project and it comes out to 1500$. Do you guys think thats enough or should I quit when im ahead?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Elazar! It's good to see you with an exciting new project. Now, as far as the budget goes, that all depends. Glass or Acrylic, new or used, name brand or knock off, etc, etc, etc!

For lights I'd talk to Dick (Amphibious) at The Cultured Reef about exoticsun LED's. Dick was a pioneer with LED's and won't steer you wrong! In fact, I'd talk to him about any product you are going to buy new. He's knowledgeable and has the best prices around!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    HEY! Nice to see you around Carmie! Im going for a nice build. I see alot of people with (in my blunt opinion) ugly tanks because of all that odd green and purple.... damn cant remember the word im soo behind! Its the pink and green stuff made from calcium. looks great on rock but ugly as hell everywhere else and only the pink/purple. anyway to answer your questions im going for everything new and acrylic because glass would not go over well for many a reason primarily the fact that it has to be moved up a flight of stairs. my spine cant take that work im too old for that! (im 18 but im an old geezer) Ill talk to dick about the lights I was thinking of the onyx from rapid led but it would still end up around 700$ which leaves me with nothing. I always wanted a vortech because its so great for sps but i dont know where to get one under 400$ fortunately I may be receiving a large gift for my 18th birthday (was nov1st) from my relatives so maybe Ill have one get me an apex and the other a vortech. My biggest problem is im lazy and forgetful so I want to have an aquarium that mostly runs its self and I need that apex for the constant notifications on my iphone or mac when im in school (last year woohoo) Ill go talk to Dick right after I finish this post and see what hes got for me. I also have a question about xenias. I really love them and they are my all time favorite coral but they grow so quickly and can be a real bother in a sps tank. I was thinking about going with the true blue xenia like the one from my nano (R.I.P) since they are usually slow but I do love the pom poms and they are quite tempting so Im not sure what to do there. anyway Im outie for now cya in the next post

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Green and purple stuff = coralline algae. Talk to Dick about the acrylic tanks, he carries them too.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Yea were working all the figures out. hes helping me finish up the build but it looks like im downsizing to 35g as there is no way in hell I can work a 90 out of my budget. sad times. Oh speaking of do u know how much LR I need for the 35? I wana get a cave or 2 and 2 large shelves or one to display the sps! Also any ideas on how much it might cost? And a WAYYYYYY more important question. Where are them reef tank updates carmie?

Thanks
    Good to see you again. Look forward to a new build. I'm gonna start up another nano after the holidays. I been tankless for a while now and the itch is killing me.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    I feel your pain Salty. My nano looks like the black lagoon it no longer feels like an aquarium

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    As a side note... The forums seem a bit dead....

Thread Information