Thread: Tank move without complete dismantling

Thanks

Tank move without complete dismantling

Hi folks,

I did a quick 'search' to see if anyone has posed this question before, but came up with nothing.

Basically, I have a 75-gallon rectangular (standard) tank in my first-floor kitchen, which I am planning to move to my finished basement, as soon as I finish off the basement flooring. I have a relatively shallow bulkhead stairway going into my basement from the outside, which is very close to the sliding glass doors off of my kitchen (which is the back of my house). So, my plan is to construct a 'cradle' on which to place the tank for transport, and I will recruit my neighbor to help me carry the tank to its new location in the basement.

I would like to not have to completely dismantle the tank contents to accomplish this move. I tentatively plan to remove/disconnect the equipment, drain the water, to about a one-inch depth in the tank, into five-gallon buckets, into which I will temporarily place the livestock and the liverock (liverock will go in separate buckets than the fish). I have about 80 pounds of aragonite coral sand in the tank (about a two-inch depth) that I would like to leave as-is.

The plan is for my neigbor and I (we are both very strong individuals) to lift the tank off of its stand and onto the 'cradle'; move the stand to its new location in the basement; carry the tank outside and through the bulkhead and place it back on the stand. In carrying the tank, as the bulkhead is fairly shallow, we would not be tilting the tank much, if at all. I would then rake the substrate to even it out and aerate it a bit; replace the liverock; use most, if not all, of the retained water; and replace the livestock. I would then hook up the equipment, and get the tank started again.

My plan seems very straightforward, but I have never done this before. So, I would be interested in other people's thoughts and experiences on the subject.

BTW...I am now planning on upgrading the tank size toward the end of the year or early 2014 (maybe I will make it a Christmas present to my family ), to something in the 250 to 300 gallon range (I will be going with acrylic for its benefits over glass). I can then use the 75 gallon as a sump and refugium (yes, I do want a refugium for its benefits - e.g., food production). There is NO TV in my 'man cave' (the decor of which is a fishing/hunting lodge theme) - I use it as a place to escape, relax, read, organize my fishing stuff, and clean my guns. I had originally planned on setting up a 300-gallon freshwater, in which to keep various native North American fish (e.g., sunfish), to go with the fishing theme of the room. But, I have been bitten by the saltwater bug, so a reef tank is my ultimate goal (quite a juxtaposition).

Thanks
    im not sure if you would be able to move it, a 75 gallon tank with the dimensions 48" x 18" x 21" would be around 140 pounds, adding 80 pounds of sand, and probably at least five gallons of water at 8 pounds each were talking in the neighborhood of 260 pounds. even with help its 130 pounds per guy. eat your Wheaties. after that i would worry about stress on the glass. it will bend and flex a little due to the silicone joints and glass is surprisingly flexible but i would empty everything into 5 gallon buckets and move the tank all by itself. unless i am misreading your post i think this is your best bet.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply boyesreef.

I could easily lift 260 pounds by myself. The 'bullkiness' of the tank warrants two people to move. So, I am not worried about weight, by any means. My primary concern is the substrate. It would be a chore to shovel out all of the aragonite into containers, only to re-deposit it into the tank 5 minutes later.

I might be over thinking this, but I can be a bit paranoid at times.

Thread Information