Thread: General Maintenance Question

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks

General Maintenance Question

Any suggestions on how to clean my refugium? I can't use gravity suction, as the tank is not high enough. How else would I go about cleaning it?

Also, was wondering, do you ever need to replace the live sand in your main tank?

Thank You
    Josh

Thanks
    How is it set up? Any pics? Could you cut the power and pump out the water into clean buckets with all the other "keepers" then just take it out and clean it? How nasty is it? I've seen some that would curl your toes...more of a fuge/turf scrubber..lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've pumped my fuge out before.

I've changed out my sand by siphoning out ~10% and then replacing it. To replace the sand rinse it and then use a funnel attached to a rigid tube to direct the sand where you want it to go. You may need to use some water to get the sand to flow down the tube. If you do sections you won't have to worry about upsetting the biological activity in your tank.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    WP_000140.jpgWP_000141.jpg

Here are the pictures you asked for Salty. I took pictures on everything. And yes there is a protein skimmer in the refugium, but doesn't run. The pump died. The HD bucket is the top off water, with calcium added to it. And over hang filter is a Marine Land Emperor 400. And there are 7 Mangrove roots in the refugium.

Thanks
    From the pic of the fuge, it doesn't look that bad. The glass is a little gross but you shouldn't have to tear it apart to wipe it out. As for the rest of it....here we go.
    I cant seem to find a tank build thread or specific info about your tank. To save me from having to write a million questions, can you give us a history lesson about your tank? Age,size,test kits,water source,feeding schedule....you know. Sorry I had to be so blunt but I'll never get the dishes done if I'm sitting here typing...lol

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    The tank is a 55 gallon, with what was a 20 gallon tank underneath turned into the refugium. Holding about 10 to 15 gallons of water. The tank is 5 years old. Water source is well water. Have had it tested, it is good. I feed every other day, and I use New Life Spectrum pellets for the fish, a piece of Freeze dried krill for the condy, and I drop a drop of Kent Marine Phyto Max about once every 2 weeks. In the top off tank, i use two table spoons of Kent Turbo Calcium. For text kits, I have both of the marine test kits. Master and reef. I have from day one have had a problem with phosphate. I have a phosphate reactor, and the mangrove roots. I also have started putting in my secondary media baskets in the hang one filter. And I am using Pura Phoslock for the phosphate removing agent. It keeps the phosphate down, but I have never been able to get rid of it. The lights is a running two 250 watt double ended 15,000 mh bulbs, 4 T5 HO 54W Actinic bulbs, and supposed to have 6 dual lunar led's. But they died a week or two after I got it, and the person I bought from on ebay, wouldn't do anything about it, unless I bought new one's.

Anything I missed, just ask.

Thanks
    Where to begin...."Had it tested,it's good". I'd bet the water is the source of the phosphates. Buying media or plants to remove nutrients is really just a band-aid to resolving the primary issue. Eliminate the source and and there is no need for the extras like media or plants. Money saved and less to worry about.
    Next...you need more real estate in there. I got a 5 gallon bucket full of dry rock in it. If you're ever up my way, let me know, it would look good in your tank. So more rock is a must! If you get more biological filtration going you really dont need the skimmer with the load you have now. But once you get it straightened out, you're gonna want to add more so keep the skimmer.
    Why are you dosing calcium? With the load you have now, the w/c should take care of that. Can you post the specific readings?
    The yellow tail damsel.......when you get to the point of adding other fish and it starts bulling the others, you're gonna get the net and try to get him...good luck with that. lol
    Is there any kind of CUC in the fuge? That would help a bunch and make cleaning minimal. As much as it sucks....manual removal of the crap helps a lot.
    How much flow is there?
    And if that was an appy I saw in a pic..... it's gotta go!!

Thanks
    Buy the way, I was curious if you got email notice to these responces?

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    I have tested, and I have had my local aquarium store test my tep water. We both get the same results. 0 Phosphates. So I don't think my tap water is the source.

I have over 50 pounds of live rock in the tank. Not for sure how much. But when I started the tank, I purchased 50 pounds worth, and have added more since. I have read, and was told 1 pound per 1 gallon of water. Is that wrong? An I was in Maine in June. I was in the Saco area.

I am dosing calcium to help/get the coral line algae to grow. And I was told I need allot of calcium for that

Like I said the skimmer is not working. Need to come up with money for a new one, or new pump.

For fish, I have 2 yellow tail damsels, and 1 three striped damsel in there. And I have 2 Javanese Damsel in a secondary tank, that I am trying to sell. I don't have the money, or equipment to run it. And I am trying to find them a better home.

CUC? Not for sure what you mean there. I have some miracle mud, and small piece'e of live rock down there.

If you talking about the pic, that was taking right under the hang on filter, I believe they are appy's. But they have never spread anywhere else in the tank, and they have survived allot. I don't see a point in removing them, if they are not being a nuisance. I am try to get a better pic of them, so you can really tell if they are.

Flow?? All I have is the return pump. I have tried power heads. they always seem to die after a couple of months in the tank. Got sick of wasting money on them.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    Yes I got the email this time. LMAO. Forgot to put that in my last post. And here are the measurements on the tank.

PH - 8.4
    Hardness - 17 degrees
    Density - 1.023 --> Which is a little low, I usally keep it at 1.025
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    NO3 - 0
    Phosphate - 2.0
    Calcium - 540

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Josh,

So your calcium is pretty high, recommended levels are 380-450. You don't list what your alkalinity is but I bet it is low. I think coralline needs adequate Ca but not high levels because I had it growing before I had stony corals and only kept my Ca at 325. Once you get your Ca/alk in balance I'd reaommend using kalkwasser to maintain it as kalk helps precipitate phosphate. I don't have an ATO but I know some people use it in their top off water.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    OK. I just added this to my system.

pro clear aquatic skimmer | eBay

Also, I found a over the lip bracket for my power head 802, and that is running in the tank, so I have flow in the tank now.

I also will be getting this Thursday.

** Supercolored Palythoa/Zoanthid Combo Rock ** Zoa ** Live Soft Coral ** | eBay

Thanks
    How are your params now? I hope this doesn't break the rules too much but there is a guy up here who has a wicked coral farm and he sells online. He lives 1/2 hour from me and i've been there many times. When I first got there I realized he was an old friend from high school 18 years earlier. Small world! He has $19 shipping to the northeast and pretty good prices. Along with a huge variety of corals. He's not a sponsor here but is on several other forums. Here's the link to his site. CultivatedReef.com, Aquacultured Coral Frags

Hope Carmie doesn't flag me as a spammer...lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Send him over to be a sponsor! You can post his link as a satisfied patron but he can't unless he's a sponsor.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thread Information