Thread: Nano Aquariums

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Nano Aquariums

Hello, this is my first forum and my first post actually and in the next few months i'm planning on a starting a saltwater aquarium. I've kept African Cichlids for about 5 years and looking to move up to a new challenge. My plan is to start with a 14-29 gallon nano aquarium. I was wondering what are the pros and cons with this and is it cheaper to start from scratch and to just buy a 29 gallon tank and buy the equipment separate. Thanks.

Im planning to keep this a fish only tank for awhile until the tank stabilizes then start to add some hardy corals and anemones.

Any help would be great, thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Jorge and to TR and the world of saltwater! I'd start out with the largest tank you can. The larger you tank is the more stable and trouble free it is. Buying an all-in-one tank is convenient but they are often under-powered and you end up spending more money to upgrade. If you know you eventually want corals and anemones make sure you get lights that will support what you eventually want to keep.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Welcome aboard! You mention corals and anemones...what kinds do you have in mind?

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    So i've been to a couple of local fish stores and feel starting from scratch would be the best way to go in the long run. The one thing i'm confused about is the filtration for my tank. Im planning on having live rock and live sand to help but what filtration equipment will i need. Im planning on adding a protein skimmer but would I need to add additional filtration such as a canister, power filter etc.?

And as for anemones, i'm currently looking at a bubble tip but still not sure. I've heard that these are good to start off with. And I don't have a specific coral i
    would like to add, just something thats hardy enough for a beginner. Im planning on waiting a couple months for my tank to be established before adding these in. Is this a good route to go? Thanks

Thanks
    My own personal experience....I ran just a HOB filter for carbon on my 10 gallon. The rock and sand can keep up as long as you're not overfeeding and overstocked. I had mostly what would be considered beginner corals and were fairly tolerant to nitrate swings. Which in a nano can happen fast. It took me well over a year to get a feeding schedule,water schedule and so on down to a science so I could keep params in check. A skimmer would not hurt by any means but in my opinion not necessary if you're willing to keep up on the testing and water changes. As for a bubble tip....wait a while! they require a mature tank with stable params and when they die they release a toxin that can nuke your whole tank. Be patient...go slow and enjoy the ride! And feel free to post pics of your tank build. We could use some eye candy and brain food...lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Salty is right, you need to wait on the anemone. You also need to keep in mind how big they get. My BTA is as big as a dinner platter! There are lots of corals that will do well in a beginner tank. In fact one school of thought says to START with corals, not fish.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Awesome...thanks for the advice guys. Im definitely going to wait on the anemone. As for the coral, what type of lighting should i have. I know corals need a sufficient light source but still a little confused on how much. And for my filtration, I am planning on having live rock with a protein skimmer (or maybe a canister filter). Will this be adequate filtration? I was looking as several skimmers, and still confused on what brand to go with. How is SeaClone? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am running both of my tanks, which have a light bio-load, with LR (live rock), LS (live sand) and circulation. I have a skimmer for my big tank but the pump went out and I haven't replaced it yet. In your case I would recommend looking at a HOB (hang on back) filter which you could use for both circulation and to run carbon. You don't really want biological filtration in a HOB or canister because it will tend to raise nitrates and that is not good for corals. In addition to the HOB you will want to add a circulation pump like a Koralia to provide more water movement. TR sponsor The Cultured Reef has koralia pumps at a great price! I've never had one but SeaClone skimmers have a reputation of being so-so. They really overestimate the size of tank they will handle so check with us if you go with one to make sure it is properly sized.

As far as lighting goes I would look at some of the high powered LED's or T5's. Either of these will give you the intensity of light you need to keep most corals and an anemone. Once you nail down the size of tank we can make more exact recommendations.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Salty is right, you need to wait on the anemone. You also need to keep in mind how big they get. My BTA is as big as a dinner platter! There are lots of corals that will do well in a beginner tank. In fact one school of thought says to START with corals, not fish.
    Hey Jorge, welcome to TR, the home of the friendliest and most knowledgable reefing aquarists willing to help out a Newbie.

What Carmie is telling you is true. Most Newbies begin backwards because they come from a FW background such as you have, get their advice from a local fish store (LFS), or they do little or no research in advance. All the above lead to a disaster, often sooner than later. Here’s why, in any size aquarium but especially a Nano, you should start with corals and invertebrates first.

1. They are easier to keep alive (assuming proper lighting).
    2. They are often less expensive.
    3. They produce less waste for your new filtration system to convert.
    4. You need to gain experience in keep your water parameters up to PAR.

Lets take one at a time.

They are easier to keep alive (assuming proper lighting). Given that you are going to build a system from scratch you are not limited to the often inadequate lighting systems that come with off the shelf Nano aquariums. You should be sure your lighting will be adequate for growing a wide variety of corals. That’s #1 for lighting because various corals have different lighting requirements based on where they come from, eg, shallow reefs vs deep reefs and every variable depth in between. They can and will adjust to your lighting to some degree BUT they do not take kindly to abrupt lighting changes. So, given you have the right light or are willing to move the coral up or down in your system Corals are quite undemanding. They are easier to keep alive than fish which are prone to certain diseases. Since you cannot treat an entire system with most medications that means you lose the fish and most likely the other fish, too. Get your feet wet (or arms in the case of keeping an aquarium) with corals and invertebrates while learning the basics of good reef aquarium husbandry.

They are often less expensive. There are plenty of cheap fish to chose from BUT that’s not what I mean. Often the cheap fish are not desirable tank mates. Shortly after being introduced into your system, many fish (most Damsels) will become very territorial and literally kill your other more prized expensive fish. The TRUE cost of keeping a reef tank is not the initial system nor the inhabitants. The true cost of keeping a reef system is the replacement of dead critters. It’s forever on going. We deal with life and death in this hobby. While all of us want our critters to live forever, they do not. That’s where setting a goal of becoming a "responsible reefer” comes in to play. Bottom line? Begin with critters that are more likely to live than be subject to dying while you go through the reefing learning curve. Begin with corals and invertebrates.

They produce less waste for your new filtration system to convert. You may, or may not, have heard of the “cycle” in aquarium keeping. A newly set up system will go through an aging process known as “cycling”, converting the waste products Ammonia and Nitrite (very toxic) to the less toxic compound of Nitrate. This “cycle” can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Once the “cycle” is complete it is in a continuous perpetuation of flux, forever. It is not my purpose to explain the “cycle” here because it is a lengthy explanation and often misrepresented by well meaning aquarists, and all too often, misunderstood by Newbies. So, I refer you to the best explanation I’ve ever read of the “cycle” by famed aquarist, coral scientist and friend Eric Borneman the author of The building of a Reef Tank”

Everyone should read it! If you are an “expert” and have read it? Read it again! Every time I read it, I get a gentle reminder how our brains work... often they forget things! Go and read it.

You need to gain experience in keep your water parameters up to PAR. Two things are often said about keeping a reef aquarium, and both are true. First, the three most important activities in reef aquarium keeping are research, research and research. Second, the only thing that happens fast in a reef aquarium is disaster! So true!!!

The smaller the volume of water, think Nano, the quicker the change in water quality can happen. That’s why I do not recommend Nanos for Newbies! You are bound, by your lack of experience and knowledge, to make mistakes that will have a negative effect on the stability of your system. The less stable your system, the more likely you will experience death in your display tank.

You must do the following things to avoid or at least delay the onset of such a disaster.

1. You must become a “Responsible Reefer", responsible for your own mistakes and successes. The only way to do this is to “do it right”. That begins with buying the necessary test kits and doing your own water tests. You would be surprised how many Newbies take a sample of tank water to their LFS and have them test it, assuming the LFS employee knows what he’s doing or even cares. Too often they don’t! So what test kits? The following are absolutely necessary... Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium are the basic set. The brand is important, too. Many hobbyists buy API. They are reasonably priced, accurate, and easy to use. It’s the brand I use, for the most part.

2. You must research everything BEFORE making a purchase. Imagine purchasing a skimmer based on price. It’s possible it will be adequate BUT, it’s just as likely to be a piece of crap! They are out there waiting for ill informed hobbyists to buy and regret!!!

3. You must avoid impulse purchases. Probablythe number one stumbling block to success is making a purchase without researching before hand. Avoid it at all costs, because it will eventually bite you right in the wallet HARD. This is an expensive hobby! Avoid making it an unaffordable hobby. Research everything before you buy!

4. You must learn how to tell a healthy fish (coral, invertebrate or anything else alive) from an unhealthy one.
    The second most committed mistake is not being able to tell a healthy fish, coral, or whatever, from an unhealthy one. Read this article written by me about how to do just this. It’s titled, “Nine Simple Rules” and can be found here on TR or on my web site at this link, “Nine Simple Rules”.

Sorry this is so long BUT, you now have the BASICS of becoming a “Responsible Reefer”. One day you’ll thank me for pointing you, and others, in the right direction.

You might wonder, “Who is this guy?” I’m just an old reefer who holds a degree in “Aquari-ology 101” from the "School of Hard Knocks”!

I’ve learned not to sugar coat anything about this hobby! The best way to teach is to tell it like it is and this is what works for me. It only scratches the surface of what lies head for you and many others who will follow. Learn it good so you can pass it on to others.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    If you know you eventually want corals and anemones make sure you get lights that will support what you eventually want to keep.
    Last edited by Rob; 09-29-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: removed comercial link

Thread Information