Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First Salwater Tank. 29G biocube.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well my plan from here is to add more corals. Specifically a torch coral, toadstool, ricordea's and some zoas after the holidays.

Im taking a week long trip to Honduras for a scuba diving vacation, im very excited! A little nervous about leaving the tank in the hands of my 20 yr old cousin for 7 days haha. She is very careful though with my things when watching them. I think ill just do a water change the day before I leave and portion out small amounts of food for her to feed while I am away.

I also want to get another fish. Im thinking an ORA True Percula Clown.
    Depending on my bio load with 3 fish, Im hoping that in a few months I could fit maybe one more fish in the tank bringing the total to 4. Two gobies (green clown and yasha) Clown fish, and maybe a chalk bass or or Bangaii Cardinal.

Anyway here is a FTS. Currently in the middle of letting a few new $10 frags get used to my water before I try and place them in specific spots on my LR. Im not a fan of the plugs they come on so Ill be cutting those off after the holidays and using super glue to stick these suckers on!
    Its an exciting project haha.

Thanks for the advice as well!
    I have developed a routine, water change during the weekend, water testing on wednesday. So far so good. Although I wish my Ca was a bit higher. Stays around 360 ppm.

Dont mind the rubber banded rocks. Feeding my pom poms

Thanks for the info saltyDawg!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm looking forward to seeing the new pix! I'm not sure if you can delete pix from your gallery without leaving holes in your posts. Here is a thread on how to post from photobucket. http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/ge...t-picture.html
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Can you guys not see the pictures i posted?

Thanks
    Cool pics! Looking good. I dont get email notification to subscribed threads like I use to so I missed your post...sry. Do you get an email when someone replies? Anyways....love the yasha! Very pretty fish! Are you going to get a pistol shrimp to pair up with it? And if my memory serves me right,I think yashas are known jumpers so you might want to consider a cover of some sorts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well, I couldn't see the pictures before but now I can. Hmmm.

With the two gobies I think that you would be OK to stock up to 4 fish.

What are your alk, Mg and pH levels? If alk is too high Ca will be low. Low pH and Mg will also make Ca low.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This forum doesnt get much action anymore but I wanted to update the few of you who hang around still. Ive gleaned a lot of great info from this site.

FTS

Torch coral

Left side of tank- green clown goby hanging out

Thanks
    Thanks for the update. Tank looks pretty sweet! Just to the right of the clown goby looks like a good sized asterina star. I know some who never had any issues with them and some who have. I'm one who has...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It is looking good! I want a clown goby for my nano.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I estimate that I have around 20 or more of those little star fish. They came with the LR and so far I have had no issues with them.

What was your issue?

Yea the green clown goby is awesome. He hangs out in a lot of the corals and is fearless when it comes to feeding.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am one who has never had a problem with the asterina stars. I have to wonder if there are multiple species???
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    This was my experience with asterinas. Keep in mind that not everyone has this kind of issue. Some of my comments are not proven scientific fact but just my assumption/opinions. That being said...here we go.
    Soon after setting up my 10 gallon I noticed a few asterinas and was told not to worry about them. "They are just harmless grazers" was the general consensus. As the months passed, I too was telling people who asked about them that they are harmless and leave them alone. After about a year there were probably 100 or so in my tank and still nothing bad happened from having them. They were little white ones, some big ones might have been 1/4" wide. They NEVER harmed anything. They did favor a big zoa covered rock and would sit on a polyp for a day or so and when they moved on, the polyp would open back up like nothing ever happened. I had no problem with that. No harm...no foul right? As the next year went on, they multiplied into several 100's. Some of them started growing larger than the rest and turning from the bleached white that they were into a tan/brown and grew to about the size of a dime. Here is a pic of a larger one.

As more months passed, I still had no issues. Just figured they were a good part of the CUC and ignored them. It wasn't long after that when I noticed my Orange Bam Bams (zoas) were vanishing almost overnight. There were 17 polyps when I got them so it was easy to keep track of. I checked in there at like 2 AM one night and saw a big star (the one in the photo) sitting on one of the polyps. I reached in with the handle of my glass scraper and lifted the star off the polyp and to my amazement the polyp was GONE! Just a little bit of the stalk and the mat remained. I left the star alone and when I got up in the morning I went to check on the zoas and the star was in the same spot so I flipped it over and EVERYTHING was gone! Just bare rock where a polyp was the day before. Thats when I took that star out. Over the next few days, I noticed more Bam Bams vanished. That got the wheels turning! I might have a problem here. I checked more often in the middle of the night and found lots of the big asterinas all over the zoas. They were vanishing really fast. Thats when I decided to get a harlequin shrimp to "thin out the herd". My LFS said they would add one to their next order and I could get it without having to pay shipping. So I figured "Why not". A week later when they got the shipment, there was no harley in there and I would have to wait 2 more weeks. Not wanting to lose more zoas, I started doing manual removal of the stars but they seemed to show up as fast as I was pulling them out. There were about 20-25 of the larger stars and in about a 3 week period I lost about 100 polyps! Thats when I saw one on a palau green tree base. I pulled it off the tree and there was a trench cut into it that went about 1/3 of the way around it. NOT HAPPY! My nepthea's were pinching off frags like crazy and they were attaching everywhere and on the side glass were 7 trees growing off the glass. I saw a large star on the base of one of those and left it alone to see what would happen. Sure enough...in 1 day it cut the frag off the glass and moved on to the next tree on the glass. The trees would lay on the sand and re-attach to the glass and the cycle would start over again. Here is a pic of a star chewing a tree off the glass

You can see in that pic a tree that was cut off the day before laying on the sand. Then my harley showed up YEAH! Emily named him Spots lol. It took a couple months for him to clean out the stars (probably 200+) and was the coolest tankmate EVER! Then he ended up in one of my maxi mini's...biggest tankmate loss ever! Here is a video of me playing "keep away" with Spots. I loved watching him wave his claws over a star as if he's saying "you are getting sleepy"

Were the larger ones that did all the damage a different species...quite possible as I'm no star expert. But my own feelings are that they reproduced to the point that their food was running out and instincts kicked in and they went for the next available food source. Which in this case were softies. If the population is kept in check, you may never have any problems. But if you let them get to plague proportions like I did....You may be in for a bad experience. Just my 2 cents....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't remember ever seeing that video!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information