Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Salwater Tank. 29G biocube.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

First Salwater Tank. 29G biocube.

For starters my past aquarium experience is about 2 years of maintaining a 10g and now a 20g freshwater barb tank. Its been a great experience and I really enjoy the hobby.

Ive been lurking around the forum on and off for a few months now. Lately Ive spent much more time researching the forum . The reason being is a finally decided to start a saltwater tank. Due to ease of setup and my lack of knowledge and physical space in my house I decided to go with the 29g Biocube. Id like to have a tank with as many fish as the tank permits and many different corals ect.

My biocube currently has been set up for 8 days now. I went with the best LR I could find which is from a fish store in San Diego called Fontains and also live sand. Two bags of live sand and about 35 lbs of live rock. The rock seems to be quite alive, at least that’s how it looks to me the newbie. My water was purchased pre mixed from the same store that I bought my LR from.

7 days ago, after putting the raw shrimp in I noticed what looked like a fireworm eating off of the shrimp. I only saw an inch or so of it, but it was ¼ inch thick. I have also spotted many bristle worms since. Upon closer examination I noticed at least 15 tiny (smaller than my thumbnail) starfish crawling around on a few of the different rocks. The shrimp was in the tank about 36 hours and then it disappeared. I assuming the worms ate it.

Obviously I wont be acquiring an of the fish any time soon but here is my wish list. As per the advice of my LFS which I’m skeptical of after reading so much on this sit They recommend starting with mushrooms and leathers after my cycling is complete because they are quite hardy. ( any input on good/bad choices is welcomed)

Gobies- Orange spotted or pair of wheelers shrimp if compatible a green clown goby.

Can two gobies, such as a green clown and orange spotted cohabitate peacefully in a 29g?

1 Percula clown or Ocellaris

Six line wrasse- which I hear will eat the bristle worms.

Kaurderns Cardinal

Harlequin Shrimp- I was told that the Harlequin will eat all of the tiny starfish I have in the tank.

CUC including scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp and electric blue hermit.

Various corals which I still need to research

Anemone- In hopes of clown hosting it. LFS says to put the anemone in first so that he can move around and find his “spot” wondering if this is good info or not? Also how feasible is a anemone in a biocube?

So im assuming I have some thing wrong, I did call it my “wish” list after all
    As far as questions go.

Any other fish recommendations or also fish pairing suggestions? Like a clown with an anemone. As far as the paring is concerned, I read that certain gobies pair up with certain shrimp and create a pairing where the shrimp digs and the goby over watches. Perhaps that’s where the watchmen goby got his name?

As of now I have taken out the bio balls and filled the 2nd chamber with live rock. I still have the filter in slot one and the sponge in slot 3 next to the pump. Im wondering if I have taken the correct steps or should the filter and sponge be removed and replaced in some kind of charcoal or other type of filter?

Also Ive noticed the water level in chamber three continues to slowly creep down to the minimum water level. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is my LR slowing down the process of water getting from slot 1 to slot 3?

I have purchased the biocube protein skimmer which I hear is half crap, but its small and Im assuming it does SOME good. Also a 240 gph powerhead.

Lastly I will start a blog hopefully tomorrow with a picture of the tank and current rock set up… Still in the process of figuring out how I want it.

Anyway I think I’ve finally finished my novel of a post. Sorry for the long one!

Thanks for your patience and input, just a newbie trying to set myself up so that I don’t unintentionally create problems for future fish, coral ect. Main thing Ive learned is GO SLOW!

Using the API Salt water master test kit I checked the tank on day 4 and here are my results.
    PH- 8.0
    Ammonia .10 ppm
    Nitrite- 0 ppm
    Nitrate- 15 ppm
    Also salinity level of 1.026. Water bought pre mixed from the fish store I got my LR from.

8 sept
    Did not test PH
    Ammonia- 0 ppm
    Nitrite- 0 ppm
    Nitrate- 30 ppm
    Temp 82

11 September
    PH 8.1
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20ppm

All comments welcome!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey how you doing glad to see you can post now.

Quote Originally Posted by Proseph View Post
    Can two gobies, such as a green clown and orange spotted cohabitate peacefully in a 29g?
    Both those gobies should be ok together but it really depends on the individual fish.

Anemone- In hopes of clown hosting it. LFS says to put the anemone in first so that he can move around and find his “spot” wondering if this is good info or not? Also how feasible is a anemone in a biocube?
    An Anemone in a biocube has been done but its not the best thing since they can get pretty big and can over take the tank.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Hey welcome! Sounds like the params are in the right direction. Bristleworms are awesome janitors and good to have around. Fireworms need to go. Your fish list is doable but a 6 line really should have more space. And it might do a number on the bristles. You have a few little stars (probably asterina). Manual removal is your best bet right now, before they multiply. I let my asterinas get out of control and I have a harlequin. Honestly...your few stars will feed it for a day or two. They are eating machines! Mine has eaten about 200 in 2 months. I'm trying to get him to take frozen food before he runs out of asterinas. Point being...there is a commitment you'll have to make to keep this shrimp.
    Read Ray's signiture. Go slow....have patients....do research....then enjoy your reef

Thanks
    Oh yeah....post pics please. You just made me read that long @ss post...it's the least you could do..lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Joe, to TR!

It sounds like you are on the way to a great tank!
    • I haven't kept the gobies so I don't know how they would do together.

• I think sixline wrasses are very cool fish but be warned that they can be aggressive and that they will decimate your population of worms (which are a beneficial part of your CUC).

• Harlequin shrimp are obligate starfish eaters so I would not get one unless you are willing to buy starfish to feed them.

• I have chunks of LR in the 2nd chamber of my NC24. I generally don't use anything in the others except a bag with a couple TBS of carbon. I replace the carbon every week. Is the filter you are using one of the pad type that has carbon sandwiched between some floss stuff? I think they can help prevent detritus from settling in the LR in the back. The sponge will need to be rinsed to keep detritus from building up in it. Otherwise it will become a nitrate producer.

• Anemones are whole subject unto themselves. In general I think that a euphyllia would be a better choice for your cube. All anemones need strong light so you need the upgraded lights. My BTA is bigger than a dinner plate. If it was in my 24 it would almost go from side to side. A clown may or may not host in an anemone. Anemones need a stable tank so should not be added to a tank that is less than 6 months old.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info and help Rayme! If I do end going with those two gobies Ill let you know how it turns out. Hopefully I get gobies that make love not war haha.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    Hey welcome! Sounds like the params are in the right direction. Bristleworms are awesome janitors and good to have around. Fireworms need to go. Your fish list is doable but a 6 line really should have more space. And it might do a number on the bristles. You have a few little stars (probably asterina). Manual removal is your best bet right now, before they multiply. I let my asterinas get out of control and I have a harlequin. Honestly...your few stars will feed it for a day or two. They are eating machines! Mine has eaten about 200 in 2 months. I'm trying to get him to take frozen food before he runs out of asterinas. Point being...there is a commitment you'll have to make to keep this shrimp.
    Read Ray's signiture. Go slow....have patients....do research....then enjoy your reef
    Wow I had no idea those little guys would eat so much. Perhaps Ill reconsider, although I really am fascinated by the shrimp and would not mind feeding it starfish all that much.
    Ill definitely heed Rays sig line advice. Im enjoying all of the research quite a bit.

Carmie,
    In response to your post I do have the pad type filter which has carbon in between the floss type stuff. Im glad that it may do some good. Also thanks for the info on cleaning out the sponge.
    I think I may have to much LR in the back because the pump is pushing water into the tank faster then water is entering the 3rd chamber. Gradually over 6 or so days the 3rd chamber gets to the MIN level.

Would you mind elaborating on what you use for the bag you add the carbon to? Im not sure how you do it exactly of where you purchase these items.

Im glad the LFS got one thing right, He also mentioned that the wrasse would eat the bristle worms but did not say anything about the negative effects that would have on the tank. Would the skunk cleaner pick up the slack or should I forget the sixline all together?

Lastly, thanks for the info on anemones. I had a feeling that they would be too big and aggressive for the tank. As far as the euphyllia is concerned, I have heard a lot of good things about frogspawn. Would that be more suitable down the road?

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Started a blog by the way with pics!

Im not sure how to add more pictures or posts onto my blog

Here is one more picture of the worms in my tank. 2011-09-07 17.06.56.jpg

Thanks
    Yep...thats a bristle. If you overfeed like I did,your rocks will look like this.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I definitely do not want that to happen. Did you get a wrasse to lower the worm population?

Another question for you all.

My return pump in the 3rd chamber of the biocube is pushing water back into the tank a tiny bit faster then water is getting into the 3rd chamber. I believe the reason for this is all of the LR I have in chamber 2. Its creating a bit of lag in the water flow. Anyway, I would just put a over hand knot in the line, but then the tube would no longer be long enough to connect to the return head. As a quick fix I put a tiny piece of cloth over the end of the tube which slows the flow.
    Does anybody know of a better way to slow the flow on the return pump?
    I looked for a speed dial or something on the pump as well...There isn't one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Another question for you all.

My return pump in the 3rd chamber of the biocube is pushing water back into the tank a tiny bit faster then water is getting into the 3rd chamber. I believe the reason for this is all of the LR I have in chamber 2. Its creating a bit of lag in the water flow. Anyway, I would just put a over hand knot in the line, but then the tube would no longer be long enough to connect to the return head. As a quick fix I put a tiny piece of cloth over the end of the tube which slows the flow.
    Does anybody know of a better way to slow the flow on the return pump?
    I looked for a speed dial or something on the pump as well...There isn't one.
    If you couldnt find a speed dial the best thing would be to take a little bit of the LR out of the 2nd chamber and see if that speeds it up for you.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I was trying to keep that as a last resort due to the fact that I was trying to keep noise level to a minimum because the tank is in my room haha.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I was trying to keep that as a last resort due to the fact that I was trying to keep noise level to a minimum because the tank is in my room haha.
    I know how you feel mines in my room too but I have actually gotten used to it now.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayme07 View Post
    I know how you feel mines in my room too but I have actually gotten used to it now.
    Ive started getting used to the slight trickle as well haha.
    As of now I just added more water and that's solved the problem, its very full now...

So getting ahead of myself a bit so that I know what to do when all my levels read 0. I read in various articles on the internet that after my tank is cycled I should do a water change and perhaps change out the filter and rinse the sponge. Exactly how much of a water change should be done?
    My LFS said do a 100% water change but that seemed very wrong to me. Can someone give me a quick rundown and how much water to change ect?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    So getting ahead of myself a bit so that I know what to do when all my levels read 0. I read in various articles on the internet that after my tank is cycled I should do a water change and perhaps change out the filter and rinse the sponge. Exactly how much of a water change should be done?
    My LFS said do a 100% water change but that seemed very wrong to me. Can someone give me a quick rundown and how much water to change ect?

Thanks in advance!
    You are right a 100% water change is wrong because it would end up killing off more organisms on the LR and start your cycle all over again. The best thing to do is a 10% water change then check your parameters again and if all is good then you can add a fish, snail, or crab and see how he does for a week. If all is fine after a week you can start adding more slowly.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You are right a 100% water change is wrong because it would end up killing off more organisms on the LR and start your cycle all over again. The best thing to do is a 10% water change then check your parameters again and if all is good then you can add a fish, snail, or crab and see how he does for a week. If all is fine after a week you can start adding more slowly.
    Ok good, so I am starting to learn something haha!

Thanks again for the info man!

BTW, read through your 60 gallon thread. That was a awesome tank! Sorry it had to go.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No problem Im glad I can help! and Thanks Im sad it had to go to but someday Im hoping I can get a bigger tank but for now Im just sticking with my 30 gallon.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No problem Im glad I can help! and Thanks Im sad it had to go to but someday Im hoping I can get a bigger tank but for now Im just sticking with my 30 gallon.
    Do you have a thread for your 30 gal?

So I just read about the pom pom crab, what an amazing invert! I cant believe it carries anemones in its claws. Id love to get one, but the anemones are too intimidating to consider haha. I do have my eye on the porcelain crab though. Seems like a good addition to a nano tank.

Thanks
    No reason why you cant get a pom pom. Some say that the nems can sting corals but seriously the nems are so small that the crab would have to sit still for weeks for it to do any damage. And it wont sit still that long. I just read an article on these guys...let me see if I can find it. Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread - Nano-Reef.com Forums

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SaltyDawg For This Useful Post:

Proseph (09-21-2011)

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    No reason why you cant get a pom pom. Some say that the nems can sting corals but seriously the nems are so small that the crab would have to sit still for weeks for it to do any damage. And it wont sit still that long. I just read an article on these guys...let me see if I can find it. Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread - Nano-Reef.com Forums
    Wow thanks for the link SaltyDawg. I WANT TWO! Haha. I will wait a while of course, but after reading that article I feel confident that I can keep 2 once my parameters are stable for a few months.

Thanks
    Stability is key. Once you get your routine down and the tank matures a bit, you'll be good to go. Dont think your out of the woods completely though. There will be challenges in the future that will test your patients. After a couple years,I had my first Cyano outbreak and it took me 6 weeks to fix it. I was ready to throw in the towel but stuck with it and am glad I did. It's nice to see you're asking questions before you buy critters. To often people ask "I bought this and don't know what to do".

By the way...Where is the FTS...did I miss it somewhere.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SaltyDawg For This Useful Post:

Proseph (09-21-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The media bags I use are like these: Aquarium Filtration & Filter Media: Foster & Smith Aquatics Fine Filter Media BagI buy bulk carbon 3 Pounds - Gallon Special grade bituminous aquarium carbon - English and just put a couple TBS of carbon in the bag and hang it in the last chamber. I change this out (reuse the bags) every week and I believe it really helps keep the water quality high.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

Proseph (09-21-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do you have a thread for your 30 gal?
    Yes I do Ill put a link in my signature so you can look at it. Also Kudos to you for doing your research and asking questions before buying that is the best thing to do in this hobbie plus youll save a lot of animals lives and of course your money.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

26. The Following User Says Thank You to rayme07 For This Useful Post:

Proseph (09-21-2011)

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    SaltyDawg, I did create a blog with some pictures, but since then I have rearranged my rock and added a few more small pieces of LR so the blog is outdated. Ill use this as my spot to add pictures due to the high activity level thanks to you all!. FTS at the end of the post!

Carmie, thanks for the link, I think ill pick those up. That is much cheaper in the long run then replacing the cube filters every week.

Thanks Rayme, tank looks awesome btw!

So when I was aquascaping I found out why the raw shrimp I threw in was gone 36 hours later. A huge, what I think is a fireworm, ate it. Sorry that it looks like I took the picture in the dark, dont know why it came out like that.
    The head of the worm was about as big as my thumb when he was puffed up. It was quite hard to pry him out of my rock so he was ripped up a few times accidentally... Alll together it was around 6 inches long.
    big worm..jpg
    So as you can see below in my pictures I added two corals. I personally thought it was too early, but my friend gave me two little frags. Zoa and whisker coral. He saw my tank levels and said they would be fine...I on the other hand have my doubts...anyway long story short I found an aiptasia anemone next to the zoa's as well as what I believe is another one on my biggest piece of LR. Ive seen the one on the LR for quite some time, but didn't know what it was.
    I dropped by my LFS today to pick up so RO/DI freshwater and I showed him the pictures I took. He said that I should get a butterfly fish before I do anything else and let the fish take care of the aiptasia problem. He also said I could buy a syringe and calcium and shoot them up with that, though he said that doesnt work very well. He also mentioned that if I have them on my LR, chances are there are more aiptasia that I cant see.

Anyway Im here again asking for your advice. What should I do to get rid of the anemone pests? I trust you all more then I do my LFS.

FTS2011-09-19 15.31.08.jpg
    Aiptasia's. aptesia 1.jpgaptesia 2.jpg

Curious Reefer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well I came across a thread by laurabolyard. Basically the thread informed me that there are a few liquids to kill these anemones such as joes juice. The other option is to get a peppermint shrimp.

Did I miss anything...I knew getting a fish thats way to big for my tank was a bad idea

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well I came across a thread by laurabolyard. Basically the thread informed me that there are a few liquids to kill these anemones such as joes juice. The other option is to get a peppermint shrimp.

Did I miss anything...I knew getting a fish thats way to big for my tank was a bad idea
    Yep your right getting joes juice or aiptasia X would be the best solution. It makes me sad to say this but your LFS is giving out too much wrong info I think he is one of those LFS's that are just in it for the money. Your smart to question the LFS and do your own research. The butterfly fish would be a bad solution to your little problem. It is true that butterfly fish eat aiptasia but not all do and most are coral pickers too. Peppermint shrimp are sort of hit and miss too some eat aiptasia some dont but they are a great invert to have in an aquarium especially in a small group.
    Ray or Raymond

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rayme07 For This Useful Post:

Proseph (09-21-2011)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information