Thread: Yo!

Thanks

Yo!

How are all of you?

Lori, Pat, Carmie, Ray, Dick, Stefi and everyone else? how is everything hanging?

Who all is still around? I remembered this website after having not been active in a few years and thought I would catch you folks up on what is going on in my neck of the woods. I still have the 54 corner up and running and have recently had a renewed sense of passion for the reefing hobby after letting my tank just run for about a year. It looked ok, but not exactly mind blowing. My girlfriend has also gotten interested in the fish hobby(awesome) and so I just recently started her a tank as well(29 biocube), which is currently in it's cycle phase near the foot of our bed. After tons of research, I built a custom LED light for it, so when I have some more time I will update my 54 build thread and then start another for the 29 biocube.

The two of us have also just adopted a dog (German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever) "Kimbrel" is just over 5 months now and is extremely smart. His parents are a pure bred lab and a pure bred shepherd. The owners thought the lab was fixed, she wasn't, oops! So I adopted this little guy and named him after our sensational rookie closer here in Atlanta. I will say he is a pleasant mix of the two. Lab face, body, color. Shepherd ears, legs, coat. Both parents are 75lbs and according to all the growth charts and formulas that we have been looking at, Kimbrel should be between 80-85lbs we are excited. I can't imagine how he won't end up huge, he eats 5 cups a day now at 37lbs... I'll let that sink in... FIVE cups haha. Honestly, I don't know where he puts it all, he has an athletic build and is in perfect shape according to the vet.

Everyone make sure you update me on your latest...

I will post lots of update pictures tomorrow after work, right now I should be in bed

Goodnight Talking Reef.
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

"It's not about what you know, it's what you notice."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey there,

I'm not sure if we were ever really active at the same time.
    But there are a few of us that are getting active again and trying to bring the site back to the booming metropolis of awesome that it used to be.

Look forward to seeing your update

Josh
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Fish- 1 Percula Clown, Black fin Shrimp Goby

Clown and Goby are just chilling in the NanoCube 12

120 almost ready for re-cycle

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Carty Its good to see you getting back into the hobbie, I was the same way for about a year worrying about graduating and stuff but now getting back into it and have a massive aptasia growth. Well cant wait to see those pics!
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    mix up some sodium hydroxide

make 2 part sodium hydroxide with water (2NaOH:1H2O is the ratio you want to use)

Turn off all of your pumps and powerheads and squirt a tiny amount in front of the aptasia head (drop or two) using a syringe. Instant death for 95% of your aptasia.. Wait 2 days and repeat. Problem solved.

I got sick of aptasia products not working, so in some downtime at work I came up with that solution. Leaves my PH practically the same unlike the other treatment options. Don't get it on anything else though.. it doesnt selectively kill. If it settles on something else, just get the water moving to blow it off, it dilutes in to the water really quickly so it isn't an issue, but just in case.

The nice thing about this stuff is you don't have to get it inside the aptasia like the others.. just near them. Aptasia are constantly moving water in and out of their bodies. They suck in all treatments, but most aren't strong enough to kill them completely unless you inject it in to them. This stuff is plenty strong enough, it just dilutes well because of its chemical properties.
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

"It's not about what you know, it's what you notice."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carty For This Useful Post:

rayme07 (08-09-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Awesome Ill be doing that, finally can get rid of these little craps... Thanks a bunch!
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey Crawford! It's good to see you back. Kimbrel sounds like a neat dog! How about some pix?

Things are pretty much the same with me. I have my 54 and my 24 going. I have a 10 ready to go for a snail breeding tank but haven't put the water in it yet. I'm pretty busy these days as I am working on my master's so hobby and forum time are limited.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Hey Crawford! It's good to see you back. Kimbrel sounds like a neat dog! How about some pix?

Things are pretty much the same with me. I have my 54 and my 24 going. I have a 10 ready to go for a snail breeding tank but haven't put the water in it yet. I'm pretty busy these days as I am working on my master's so hobby and forum time are limited.
    So Carmie what is your masters in? I don't know how many times I have used the signature line "Only disasters happen fast" over the years. It is so true, I know, I have had to tell myself it so many times.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wvfisher View Post
    So Carmie what is your masters in? I don't know how many times I have used the signature line "Only disasters happen fast" over the years. It is so true, I know, I have had to tell myself it so many times.
    I'm doing a Master's in Public Administration. I work in local government and it will help me there. Then, when I retire in 6 years, I want to become a non-profit administrator.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information