Thread: What do I do now?

Thanks

What do I do now?

I have a BC14 with standard lighting. I guess thats not true. I have only the actinic light. The daylight fixture went bad and I decided to do something I have wanted to do for a couple of years. I have ordered a LED retrofit for the BC14 from Chris at Nanoturners. I am waiting patiently. I decided to take all the LR out of my tank and brush all the GHA off. It had taken over. Of course when I did that I started the cycle all over again. It has now completed the cycle and I was wondering what I could put under the Actinic light. I don't know if I can put anything but was just wondering what all you good people would recommend. Thanks and glad to see this forum coming back to life about like my tank.

Thanks
    Good question. I don't really have anything to input other than anything deep water would probably fair pretty well until you got the new lights...

Maybe someone else will chime in that has a bit of a better answer.
    Hop inside, I'm headed south, take a ride, I'm just the next man that you're gonna blame

Thanks
    thanks Bernie

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    There really is not anything I can think of that you could put under actinic lighting only. The bulbs dont really put out enough light for them to survive. I would just wait to put any coral in your tank till you have your new lighting. I hope this helps.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    +1 on waiting for the light.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    +1

besides that new salt water (water changes) and clean-up crew
    That'll help keep the algae out of your hair (haha, see what i did there??? Algae?Hair? Hair Algae? i kill myself lol)

Also, if that has been a long lasting problem you may want to look into a reactor of some sort? I believe phosban reactors (though i have never used one) are quite beneficial to algae control. If you don't want to shell out the dough for a ready-made one just google a pic and the reactor would be easy enough to DIY.

Peace
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Fish- 1 Percula Clown, Black fin Shrimp Goby

Clown and Goby are just chilling in the NanoCube 12

120 almost ready for re-cycle

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey, back!

How long is it going to be until you get the LED's? Do you have fluorescent actinic tube or are you talking about the little LED moonlights? IMO, if it is the fluorescent you could begin adding a CUC, fish or hardy non-photosynthetic coral as they don't need light the way photosynthetic corals do. I do like adding corals before fish.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    welcome to the world of 14 gallon bio-cubes! ask anyone on here, i have had some experiance if you choose to mod it, and i can tell you any failure points you may have also.
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boyesreef View Post
    welcome to the world of 14 gallon bio-cubes! ask anyone on here, i have had some experiance if you choose to mod it, and i can tell you any failure points you may have also.
    And if you ever want to learn about alternate uses for the tank, Boyes has some experience there too XD (i hear they are good for holding chips when emptied?)

Hehe, I joke of course
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Small Fry View Post
    And if you ever want to learn about alternate uses for the tank, Boyes has some experience there too XD (i hear they are good for holding chips when emptied?)

Hehe, I joke of course
    HAHA, lets all pick on the salty freak with no water in his tank. LOL, good one though josh
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    Dont get him all wound up. He'll set up the 14 and add something crazy like a HOB nurse shark tank...lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    HAHA...

Not gonna lie, wouldn't mind seeing that lol
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Thanks
    all coolness aside, id like to say thank you. and no, a waterfall terrarium with several waterfalls and a lifelike tree will suffice. kidding of course, the wife would kill me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmieJo View Post
    Hey, back!

How long is it going to be until you get the LED's? Do you have fluorescent actinic tube or are you talking about the little LED moonlights? IMO, if it is the fluorescent you could begin adding a CUC, fish or hardy non-photosynthetic coral as they don't need light the way photosynthetic corals do. I do like adding corals before fish.
    Thanks CarmieJo, it has been a while since I talked to you. The actinic is the fluorescent tube in the original BC14 hood. I have a Nanotuners retrofit ordered and just received an email from Chris telling me that it was shipped on July 29th!!! I can't wait. I have put in a CUC and I am waiting patiently for my lights. I won't put anything else in the tank until I get my lights installed.

Thanks
    you MUST take pictures and show us how the instal goes! do a write up and put it in the how to section. id read it! i put a JBJ viper 2 over my tank, very happy.

Thanks
    I will try. There is a really good video on nanoturners website that shows how to retrofit the hood for the BC14. I hope it is as easy as they make it.

Thanks
    How is your LED retro fit coming? I looked in to using the retrofit for my 29BC that I just set up but I got all the parts cheaper individually so I did it that way. I did end up using the nanotuners heatsink tho. I'm at work, but I will be posting my 29BC build thread when I get home later today and you can see what I did. If you haven't started yet, maybe it could be useful.
    70 Gallon Reef System
    29 Gallon Reef System

"It's not about what you know, it's what you notice."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carty View Post
    How is your LED retro fit coming? I looked in to using the retrofit for my 29BC that I just set up but I got all the parts cheaper individually so I did it that way. I did end up using the nanotuners heatsink tho. I'm at work, but I will be posting my 29BC build thread when I get home later today and you can see what I did. If you haven't started yet, maybe it could be useful.
    I have got the LEDS in and they are great. The lights are sooooo powerful. I think I will be able to grow anything I want. I have started buying some frags and so I am going to get some of them going and then put in a couple of fish.

Thanks
    a word about the bio-cube 14, skip the fish. i put fish in mine along with my corals and wished i hadnt. the only fish yo can keep are tiny to begin with, then add rock and coral and you get into trouble. if you figure a 14 gallon display, add 14 pounds or so of rock, some sand, and some corals, youve diminished to about 5-7 gallons fish room. i would say MAYBE a clown goby. i had a green clown and loved it. so much character! and stay away from things like pulsing xenia, devils claw, and kenya tree too. they grow so fast you will have trouble keeping up. i had kenya tree, and devils claw in mine and had to frag several frags per month to keep it under control.

Thanks

the hang on back fuge is much prettier now.
    Last edited by boyesreef; 08-20-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Thread Information