Thread: Ammonia Smell in Stored SW

Thanks

Ammonia Smell in Stored SW

Hi TR,
    How's it hangin'?

So my aquarium and I have been bumping along during the last two years or so of law school (I FINALLY GRADUATED!) and I just ran up against a conundrum for the second time that I wonder if anyone can shed some light on.

I prepare water change water in about 10g quantities and then store it between water changes. I probably prepared this water about three weeks ago and had about 4g left when I opened the storage container this afternoon. I poured some out into a bucket and was struck by SW that frothed when I poured and then all the bubbles broke up quickly as I got hit by a strong smell of ammonia.

I dumped out the water and am preparing more now, but I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about why this would happen.

I use a purpose bought spin-top dog food bin to prepare and store water in. I drilled a hole in the top so I'd be able to run a heater and pump line through the hole so I could have it plugged in and covered at the same time.

I rinse the bin thoroughly with tap water before preparing more SW, and I leave the business end of the combination heater/pump in the water between changes with the plug hanging out and most of the hole covered with a plastic plug.

I have a little of the water left and have considered running the usual tests on it, but I'm studying for the bar exam so I'm not sure testing will be a good use of time.

I've always used Oceanic salt for the past three years and have had this frothy water/ammonia issue one other time in the past two years or so. And I use RODI... but I haven't tested for TDS for some time. Frankly, the tank is doing really well, so I haven't felt a pressing need to check up on the RODI system. I suppose that could be it, but the very strong ammonia smell has only happened twice, so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this.

Any ideas?
    I ought to be reading from casebooks, but reefs are so much more interesting!

Thanks
    Update:

TDS of ro/di water in bucket rinsed with tap water: 4ppm
    TDS of tap water: 47ppm

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is odd. I use Red Sea Coral Pro and have never had a problem like this. I would probably run an ammonia test.

GOOD LUCK ON THE BAR!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    So my aquarium and I have been bumping along during the last two years or so of law school (I FINALLY GRADUATED!)
    Good luck comes to those that prepare. So, prepare well my fledgling lawyer friend and you will do well. The best of everything to you in your new adventure.

Missed you!

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Thanks you guys!

Carmie: It is weird, right? I've never read of anyone else having this issue.
    Dick: Hugs!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Stefie! Have you taken the “bar” yet?

Getting back to your original issue of Ammonia smell. In all the years I’ve been doing SW, I’ve used several brands of salt and never had that happen. Did you get around to testing for Ammonia presence in the water?

Hope all is well.

Dick
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Thanks
    Your DI resin is exhausted or hear exhaustion. Its very common to get an ammonia or fishy odor with bad DI resin and your 4 TDS tells me its past its prime.
    DI resin starts to release the contaminants it has trapped even beofre it is exhausted and the weakly ionized substances go first and often in large gulps. Many of the weakly ionized substances also do not register well on a hobbyist grade TDS meter os the levels could be higher than you think. These include nitrates, phosphates and silicates just to name a few. Your TDS should be 0 and you change your resin when you first start to see anything other than 0 on a consistent basis.
    It could also be ammonia as already suggested, especially if you are using domestic well water which could be influenced by near by septic systems or irrigated properties or if your utility uses chloramines. These are also another indication of bad DI resin.

Here is an article on the fishy smell too:
    http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm#fishy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AZDesertRat For This Useful Post:

CarmieJo (08-12-2011)

Thread Information