Thread: Aquascaping ideas

Thanks

Aquascaping ideas

Hi All, I've grown tired of the aquascaping in my 92 corner tank and am brainstorming ideas.

I've been thinking that I want to get something like egg crate (you know, the light stuff we use to keep fish from jumping) and lay that back against the walls about about a 22-45 degree angle. This will allow water movement and room for the fish to get behind the walls.

At this point, I'm thinking about just stacking the rock against the crate and building a leaning wall. Maybe some holes in there midway to allow fish a cave type structure or an escape route if a chase ensues.

So what do you guys and gals think?
    Hop inside, I'm headed south, take a ride, I'm just the next man that you're gonna blame

Thanks
    Seriously? No one has any input?

It'll work, it won't, you'll put yer eye out kid... anything?
    Hop inside, I'm headed south, take a ride, I'm just the next man that you're gonna blame

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That sounds like it would work, but there may be a problem when the fish try to swim through the holes in the rocks they will be blocked by an egg crate. You could always use PVC pipe and cut it to proper size then lay the egg crate on top and stack rocks on and around it. You could also use just the PVC pipe and form a structure that you can stack the rocks against.
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I wonder if you could make a sreies of rock pilars with acrylic threaded rod and stand them next to each other. It would be tricky to get them fit together but it would take all the pressure of the back wall. And the option to change it around is still there. I've thought about trying something similar so the rock covers 3 sides. Be like looking into a nook or crevise of a large reef.

Thanks
    Well, I went ahead and did it last night. I kept the pieces short, so they didn't block as much space on the walls and were easier to hide. I did allow me to stack my rock at more of an angle, resulting in more nooks and crannies for coral placement.

While I was moving stuff, I consolidated most of my mushrooms onto one wall, hopefully that will look pretty cool once the lights come on today and everything quits being mad at me.

I did lose one frag though a nuclear green zoa frag that I got about a month ago. I tore the tank up looking for it, it's just too small to track down now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Where are the ? I'm interested to see what you were able to do with it.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Miss Carmie, my tank is looking super rough these days. Not enough love has gone into it. I lost pretty much everything in it except the fish, kenya tree, mushrooms and leather that Gwen gave me years ago. I'm back on the bandwagon though, and working diligently to get it back up to par.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Did you stay on the bandwaggon? I've been through that and know it's super hard to stay in it after you lose everything.

Upppppdates
    Josh

Small Frys 120

Fish- 1 Percula Clown, Black fin Shrimp Goby

Clown and Goby are just chilling in the NanoCube 12

120 almost ready for re-cycle

Thanks
    Yep, I'm still here. I bought a used 180 acrylic setup a couple of weeks ago. I'm working on staining and sealing the stand and canopy now. Then I'll buff out the tank, and then look at plumbing.

Everything will be going from my 90 corner to the new tank, so this is going to be quite an adventure. I'm sure my fish are going to love the extra breathing room.

I'm trying to incorporate all of the little "ah-ha" moments I've had along the way. So far I'm making dang sure that I seal and waterproof the stand well. Making sure that I have plenty of room to work under there. Definitely need to figure out a better way to run my auto-top off. A 5 gallon bucket just barely cuts it with my 90, so I'm thinking the new tank will burn through that in no time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is an exciting new project. Please be sure to post .
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thread Information