Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy George's 90 gal upgrade log (image intense)

Apprentice
    Thanks

Crazy George's 90 gal upgrade log (image intense)

Hi guys
    Well I’ve officially been in the reefing hobby for a year now, and I decided to celebrate by upgrading my tank from a 33gal system to a 90 gal!
    First off, here’s a little bit about my old tank. It was a 33 gal running through a 40 gal sump/fuge with a 175 watt MH pendant and a Remora C hang on skimmer. It probably has about 50 lbs of LR and 40 lbs LS. I keep a BTA (who’s bubbles are long gone) along with some softy chorals. I grow cheato in the fuge and do weekly chem tests and water changes. The reef has done very well and has plenty little critters running around the sand bed when they think I’m not looking. As far as fish go, I have a pair of tomato clowns (Ping and Ying) hosting the BTA (which recently split), a pair or green chromis (Jerry and Larry) and a yellow tang (named Timmy…don’t tell tang police.. I figure I should get off this once since I just bought him a 90 gal).

Here’s a pic of the older tank.

I got a little ambitious (or was it lazy?) when I decided to build up the tank walls to accommodate an external overflow. This I did as an alternative to emptying the whole tank and drilling it.

Here’s a pic of the built up tank wall

And where it drains into the overflow

It was all done with acrylic, and actually worked (believe it or not). In retrospect it was risky and I wouldn’t really recommend doing this because a few months down the road and it started sprouting leaks. I would call the operation a success though, but for my next tank I will defiantly being doing a proper drilling job.

Here’s one last pic of the cabinet that I made, which I will be putting the 90 gal on once the 33 is out of the way. Should be plenty of room as it measures approximately 3’x5’x2.5’ HxLxW.

I'm not as think as you stupid I am

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Anyway, out with the old and in with the new. I neglegted to get a pic of the new tank before I started work on it, but I’m sure we all know what an empty 90 gal tank looks like. (48’x24”x18” by the way)

Here it is on the floor waiting to be painted. I used ‘marine blue’ spray paint I got at home depot. I was going to go with black but the name won me over.

And here she is painted. Took about 4 quotes, and there were still a few lighter spots, but I though it looked more natural that way (or was I just being lazy again?…yes).

I decided to put some egg crate on the bottom of the tank. this will protect the bottom from rocks should an avalanche occur, and it will also help my anchor the rockwork and plumbing. Ignore the pvc pipe, its just there so I don’t forget about the internal overflow.

Here’s a pic of the internal overflow baffle I made out of smoke grey acrylic (I think it looks brown personally). The idea of an internal overflow was one I didn’t arrive at easily. I’m a stickler for tank realistate, and I didn’t want to take up much room with the overflow baffle, but after much consideration, and a threat from my girlfriend who does not want another leaky tank, I opted for the much simpler to make and less risky internal overflow. The baffle itself wasn’t too hard to make. This is the first time I’ve ever attempted to cut out teeth and I think they turned out pretty well. I used a ban saw for the teeth and molded the corner by clamping the acrylic sheet to a 2x4 and molding a 90 º curve with the blow torch. I is a pretty easy method as long as you measure carefully. It is a little risky if you haven’t tried it before because if you don’t get a perfect 90º curve the baffle won’t fit. Somehow I managed to get it right my first try.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Here’s the best I could do for an up close shot of the baffle sitting in the tank. It sits nice and flush on all edges, so I’m pretty happy (or lucky). I had to use the belt sander to round the edges that would stick into the silicone on the bottom of the tank. Nothing is glued yet, just try fitted. I plan to use 100% clear GE silicone to attach the baffle to the tank.

I’ve only began to ponder the plumbing for this thing, but I know that I’m going to go with standard 1 ½” black pvc for the overflow drain. Here’s a pic of the overflow assembly. I used plastic mesh that you can buy in the sewing or crafts section at Wal-Mart, and zippy tied it to the pvc to make a strainer. This should keep any fishies or enterprising anemone’s from taking a trip to my sump.

Here’s the overflow assembly all dry fitted behind the baffle. Everything fits nice. Hopefully it won’t be too noisy.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Everything above represents about 2 days work ( work also includes shopping for the rest of my plumbing supplies). I was hoping to start drilling my tank with the diamond bit I have coming in the mail, but it still hasn’t arrived, so I fount myself beginning work on the canopy before I can start tinkering with the plumbing.
    First off, I knocked up this sucker, which will make moving the tank around to avoid traffic coming in and out of the garage.

Benny the Benze isn’t happy about the tank occupying his parking spot during the day. Especially when it rains.

Here’s the beginnings of my reflector. It is sheet aluminum I bent on my dads bending jig. It is not the shiniest piece of metal, but it should reflect the light down, which is all it needs to do.

First I knocked up a wooden frame for the reflector and fitted it on top of the tank. should work well. This won’t be a full canopy, it will merely sit on top and hold the lights. I will have some ropes on pulley’s going up to the ceiling so I can rays it for easy tank access.

I will use an acrylic shield to protect the bulbs from splashing and misting, and the tank should the worst happen and a bulb explodes (I’m sure Mr. Icecap won’t do that to me though.) The shield will be able to slide in and out of the canopy for easy cleaning and bulb changing on ¼” grooves I cut with the table saw.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Continuing on with the canopy, I started to build up the sides and added the fans that will hopefully keep the lights nice and cool.

Here’s a shot of the business end of the reflector. Should kick lots of light down at my reef with two 250watt MH bulbs. I’m thinking of adding a 3’ VHO strip with actinics, or possibly re-using my 175 watt ballast to fire a 20,000k bulb. What should I do?

p.s. I used the aluminum tape they use to tape up heat ventilation piping (or whatever they call it) to tape up the exposed wood. It makes a great reflector.

My camera seemed to go missing half way through the day, and I missed a few steps, but its not hard to see that I managed to get a bit done. I built up the back and installed a few more fans. The top and back will remain open for ventilation

Here’s a pic of the fans all wired up and running. They have blue LED’s in them which I’m hoping will kill two birds with one stone and act as a moonlight at night, but its not very likely that they are bring enough to light the whole 90 gallons like a proper moonlight should. The two fans on the back are mounted with acrylic brackets I made. They should blow across the surface water and provide some nice agitation for better gas exchange and evaporation (thus cooling).

And for my last pic of the night, here is yet another shot of the back of the tank. with the canopy roughly in the spot it will sit. Should be plenty of room to squeeze some plumbing back here. I’d like to install a wavy sea unite back here, hope there is enough room. Or I’ll just have to make some.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Here's an update
    Over the weekend i got busy installing some fluorescent fixtures. Once again my camera went missing so i didn't get any shots of the work in progress, but basically i used rivets to attach the ballast to the top of the canopy, and i cut out little brackets out of aluminum to hold the end caps and riveted them onto the inside of the canopy.

and the inside. I used a regular 2x30 watt florescent ballast i bought at home depot. they fire two 3' florescent strips. these are just two spare bulbs i had lying around, i plan to use incandescent bulbs along with 2x250watt MH bulbs (if i ever get my balast).

still plenty of room for the metal halide brackets and bulbs to fit.

and i replaced my acrylic guard with two glass pains ( i learned how to cut glass over the weekend too). It is regular 1/4" glass that i had lying around. My father, who runs a sunroom company (who knows a thing or two about glass) think this should hold up fine against the heat, even though it is not tempered. I plan to test it pretty Thoroughly without the fans on once i get my MH ballasts and bulbs installed.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I finally got my diamond whole cutting bit today from Lau’s eBay store. Took about 3 weeks to ship from Hong Kong, and only cost me about 20 bucks. It is a 48mm bit, which is the same diameter of 1 ½ pvc. I think I can also use it to cut holes for my 1” bulkheads, as they require a 45mm hole. Do you think 3 mm makes a difference? Or should I get the proper sized bit for the bulkheads?

In cutting the hole I stopped every 30 seconds or so and pored some water on the glass and bit to keep them cool. I also dripped some 3in1 oil on as that supposedly helps keep the glass from cracking.. so says Dad (my glass authority). I think it turned out pretty good, and a breathed a sigh of relief when I made it through to the other side without shattering the side of my tank. 1 hole down, 4 to go.
    That’s a nice hole if I don’t say so myself.

The hole was the perfect size for the pvc. I actually had to tap it lightly with a hammer to get it to go through the hole. It was probably pretty close to being water tight before I added the silicone. Some may ask why I didn’t use a bulkhead here, and I would say, because this works just as well. Just put a little silicone around the pipe and you have a waterproof seal (I hope). Anyway, I used this method when I did my sump and it works like a charm.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I threw a 1 ½” union on the other side, and ran a silicone bead around the edge touching the glass.

Next it was time to install the overflow bulkhead. First I ran a silicone bead around all the edges that would be in contact with the glass.

Then I simply stuck it in. It fit like a charm, but that didn’t surprise me
    Here’s a pic of everything put together.

Thanks
    awesome thread.. thanks for sharing all the details..

looks liek its progressing nicely.

i like the hood, i might just steal that design, if i stay with my MH lights.
    what type of lights are going in yours, all i saw were what looked like a pair of NO of VHO bulbs?
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Very cool. Can't wait to see more.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Thanks guys,
    For lighting I will go with 2x 250 W SE bulbs powered by icecap ballasts. I’ll use actinic VHO’s to substitute a little blue light.. I'm not quite sure which kind of MH bulbs I will go with, but I know they will be 10000k. Any suggestions on a good 10000k bulb?. I was thinking XM, but I know there are plenty more brands out there that I’m sure are just as good. The florescent strips I have in there now I was just using for testing as I had them lying around for a while. Unfortunately everything is stalled as I wait for some packages to arrive by mail, but hopefully I’ll be able to start plumbing the close loop this week.

By the way Rob, I wanted to say kudos on the site. I just hear about it recently in this months RC magazine and I though I would check it out. The pod casts are great and I’m sure I’ll be doing allot more posting around here

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I've been posting clones of this thread on reef central as well as my local reefing society forum ( http://arrg.ca/ ) . I have been getting lots of feedback from both places, and so far I have changed my design slightly. One of the issues that is currently being debated is about the shield that I am using on the canopy to protect the bulbs from being splattered by salt water. I cut a ¼” acrylic shield, as well as a ¼” glass shield. I can slide them in and out easily, so changing my mind is no big deal. I was wondering if you guys could give any insight into this? Should I go with the shatter proof, but possibly melt under the heat acrylic, or melt proof, but possibly crack under the heat glass?

Thanks
    well, i have the Xm 10,000K 250 w bulbs, and have been happy with them.
    as far as the shield, i see most equipment uses acrylic, but i cant honestly say why.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    i think glass conducts more heat than acrylic does.....and great thread, btw
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    George, great thread!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Very nice setup- really enjoying it so far!

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I've got a little work done since the last pic post. I've installed morgul sockets and received about 50% of the gear for the closed loop. still waiting on my bulbs, plumbing fittings and icecap ballasts.
    for the closed loop i'm running an OM super squirt off of a Dart. should be plenty of flow for a 90! I can't wait to get cracken!

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Hi guys
    So I haven’t been as busy on the tank build as I would like in the last few weeks because I’m waiting for a rather slow shipment, but I did manage to get some stuff done. First of all, I got my Icecap ballasts! They are 250 watt metal halide ballasts.

I also got some morgul sockets from the local hydroponics store (funny story that goes along with that, but not really appropriate to be told in a public forum ). I built my own brackets out of aluminum for the sockets and riveted them into the canopy. Here’s a shot of the reflector, I think its looking pretty good.

I wired up the ballasts and riveted them onto the top of the canopy along with the fluorescent ballast. Initially I didn’t intend on putting them on top of the canopy as I thought the ballasts would be much bigger and heavier. When I got them out of the box and had a look at them, I decided it would be much simpler to stick them on top of the canopy.

I’m not quite sure why I put the fluorescent ballast off to the one side. I think I had good reasoning for it at the time, but I seem to have forgotten it.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    It Works!!!
    You might even think I knew what I was doing. This is an old 175watt bulb I used to test my wiring, it makes me really itch to get my bulbs in so I can see how much light the fully loaded rig will put out!

Here’s a pic of the 3 1/4” hole I cut (with a dremel, boy did that take a long time) for the 2”bulkhead I’m going to be using to feed my dart for the close loop. Hopefully I will get my package in tomorrow and start moving on the plumbing for my close loop. I had to cut away some of the black plastic at the bottom of the tank to make room for the bulkhead. I also scraped away the paint around the hole so the silicone will stick better.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    I GOT MY SHIPMENT!
    Finally! And just in time. The people at the post office must have been pretty sick of seeing me walk in to check my box and walk back out with my tail between my legs when I didn’t find my package notice in there. Anyway, on with the pics!
    Get ready for the craziest display of plumbing you’ve ever seen. My brother said my close loop looks like the international space station. I have a Sequence Dart being fed by a 2” pipe. The dart flows through an oceans motions super squirt. I put a bypass below the squirt so I get as much flow as I can out of the Dart.
    Here are some pics of my plumbing skills (or lack there of.)

and from the top

and the front

whoever invented loc line must be rich. Its perfect for a close loop.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Here’s an invention that probably won’t make me rich, but I think it’s a good idea anyway. I was worried about sand being sucked into the close loop and ruining my dart and squirt, so I made this little guard out of acrylic and topped it off with plastic mesh. It will cover up the close loop intake.

I made a little strainer out of plastic mesh and zippy ties to protect the 2” bulkhead used as the close loop intake.

and fitted like so. After I test the plumbing, I will silicone this thing in. I think my fishies will be safe from a ride though the plumbing. Should keep the sand out of there as well.

Apprentice
    Thanks
    Here’s some shots of the canopy sitting on top.

my fans wouldn’t fit because the close loop returns running over the top of the tank were in the way, so I had to take them off. I’ll fine another place for them , maybe closer to the middle.

Thanks
    I decided to put some egg crate on the bottom of the tank. this will protect the bottom from rocks should an avalanche occur
    Wow that sounds like a really good Idea, I have never heard of this being done. Is there any disadvantages to this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwaaron
    Wow that sounds like a really good Idea, I have never heard of this being done. Is there any disadvantages to this?
    only one way to tell, anyone want to experiment ?
    USA

Apprentice
    Thanks
    haha, i think i have already volunteered.
    there are two reasons i wanted to do it, 1, it will help protect the tank as i said before, and will help with frame work for the rocks, and 2 i hope it will help with denitrification. what i am going to do (and i will post pics of this when i get around to doing it) is put some fiberglass cloth (without the resin of cource) over the eggcrate, then put about 1 1/2" of sand over top of that. there should be little watter bubbles under the cloth in the eggcrate holes that will be havens for nitrate reducing anaerobic bacteria.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information