Thread: Using ammonia remover during cycling

Thanks

Using ammonia remover during cycling

Is it alright to put "ammo lock" in a tank during cycling. I know its best to leave the water alone while its cycling, but the reason why i want to know is because some of the live rock i have in the tank have feather dusters and some small corals. I want to keep them alive but i doubt they'll be able to survive the high ammonia. It says on the bottle that it detoxifies ammonia, so its not removing the ammonia....Will ammo lock affect the cycling?

Thanks
    if anythign it sill slow the cycle..
    most hitchickers that come on the LR, will make it througha normal cycle.
    just test your ammonia, it it starts getting high, and doesnt come down, then just do a water change..

thsoe feather dusters will be fine.. once you get the tank established you will see them ALL OVER the place.. as for the "coral" it really depends, anything that came on the rock may or may not live depending on what it is. (a pic may help ID it)

you know, my opinion is to let it happen naturally, control it with water changes if needed. those additiona chemicals are not usually needed.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    if I may, actually there are other products by better companies that will do better. As for removing the ammo, your a might off. It actually conglomerates with other particles making the ammo less toxic to living items. It is still in the tank and also competing in the nitrogen cycle just not harmful to fish. Seachem makes some cool stuff that works, I used it in my tank. One dose will do you for the rest of the cycle... Your not changing the water right? Good, dont!

Thanks
    I would be skeptical of putting any kind of chemicals in a reef tank.... Your critters on the rock will be fine. Make sure you completely understand 100% what's in those chemicals *which I wouldn't* or you could be doing more harm than good. The living reefs in the ocean are natural, let your reef in your home be the same way.

Ghostbear29- Why are you saying that he shouldn't do a water change? Also you are saying something about the nitrogen cycle and fish in the same sentence. Can you explain what you mean?

Thanks
    let the tank cycle completey before doing a water change. It improves the odds for the tank to RE cycle. Again , my experience only with our marine bio experiment, you may have had different. I think a full cycle seems to set the system up better than trying to "hurry" up the process. As for the fish in my last statement, I meant that ammonia is not adsorbed by the living organisms as readily when it is combined with another substance to make it less toxic. The ammonia is still in the water and if you test the water, it will come out positive. sorry I am kind of a poor speakkkerrr. isa not edumacated! <- I will try to be more clear in the future. thanks gwen.
    jeff

Thanks
    lol.. yes jeff i totally agree..
    wate changes should be held off till the cycle is over. and i never really recommend the use of those products... patience.. it will all take care of it self in time...
    Last edited by Rob; 01-18-2006 at 06:41 PM.
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    Using those products will always give you false reading on your tests. and as far as changing water during a cycle, all you are doing is extending the cycle, let it run its course. I have never seen where a water change would cause a mini cycle in the long run.
    Visit my site!!
    www.mmota.homestead.com

Thread Information