Thread: A product that will change how successful we are keeping our reef tanks!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A product that will change how successful we are keeping our reef tanks!!!

ReefPodsTM, a live feed by AlgaGen, is being introduced TODAY.

AlgaGen is introducing 6 different Copepods in starter cultures at a reasonable price. While intended mainly for culture starters, several of these Copepods can be established in our refugiums and even in our DTs because they are TROPICAL copepods. The first ever tropical copepods being offered, according to AlgaGen.

If you think about it, this is HUGE for the hobby!

Where can you find out more information and purchase these cultures??? Well, The Cultured Reef, of course. We have an account with AlgaGen and will be offering their cultures on our web site here - AlgaGen live feeds

Pictured above, "ReefPods™ Tangerine is a live culture of a large unidentified calanoid copepod, most likely in the Family Temoridae. Tangerine adult copepods live in the water column and will eat small suspended detritus particles and microalgae in the aquarium." This is the one I’m most excited about. It is referred to as the SW Daphnia because of it’s large size and similarity to FW Daphnia.

The products come in 8 and 16oz bottles. I am working feverishly on the web site to get the page built with pricing and shipping.

Remember this is BREAKING news. I just heard about it Sunday at the Space Coast Reef Club meeting Sue and I hosted. An AlgaGen rep, Vince Rado, was our guest speaker. Vince played a huge part in making ORA the success it is today. I personally think he has another hit in the making. He had all six cultures with him and gave them to the club for the raffle.

Check out the link for more info. From there I have links to AlgaGen’s information pages.

I’m excited! This will have a huge impact on the hobby.
    Amphibious

Good Luck comes to those who research and prepare.

Our Talking Reef Forum The Cultured Reef Forum
    My tank journal Amphibious' 135 mixed reef.
    The Cutured Reef toll free number - 888 745-0449

Amblyeleotris randalli commonly, Randall's Goby.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The pods were really exciting! I am now determined to get a 20 or 30 gal tank and make a grav drain fuge into my DT. I'll be submitting an order with you before Thursday (yeah, I know I should be doing it now, but I'm tired and I still have a day.) I'll have to do it by Phone I think because I will have to get some phycopure (That's the new stuph, right?) One of the best parts of all of this is the pods actually get shipped from AlgaGen, there is no "off the shelf" fore these guys, they come fresh and don't expire on the shelf waiting for a home!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Wow, they look great!
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    For those interested in live aquacultured TROPICAL Copepods to stock your refugium or DT, the page is finished ready for purchase through PayPal.

Live Tropical Copepods from AlgaGen

We’re offering free shipping until further notice.

Rock, the drop shipping does not pertain to me, only major wholesalers. However, my orders will be picked up by me (I’m 4 miles from AlgaGens Lab) and shipped out the same day. Nearly as good as “drop shipping”.
    Amphibious

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good news ampage.
    Quite a few lines on offer.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It sucks that they aren't giving you the same deals as the major wholesalers, but for you to be offering free shipping anyway is very impressive. I appreciate the way you go above and beyond for your customers. I just picked up a 37gal and spent all day yesterday looking for a shelving system for it. Northern Tool Supply has exactly what I needed on their website, but the employees in the store are so clueless that I ended up building one last night. I have a little bit more to do with it this am and then I'll throw some substrate in it and pump about 30 or so gallons from my DT into it, move some LR and Walla, I'll have a fuge built for copepod colonies! I'll put an overflow box on it and drain it into my pod pile. I'm thinking about putting a wedge cut (lengthwise, so it'll fit in the corner) piece of 2" PVC around the drain line from the pod pile to the surface to act as a bubble tower and keep the micro bubbles down and I'll use a maxijet to move water from the DT into the fuge. This hobby certainly NEVER gets torpid!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Torpid, LMAO. Nor boring.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I BOMBED! Really, I'm not being hard on myself. I totally dropped the ball in the game winning play, 2 steps from the goal line with 2 seconds left on the clock. I spend my entire weekend building this copepod generator, and didn't take pic one. When I picked up the tank, we got to palm bay 15 min before the guy (and fam) had to leave, so I didn't snap a single shot. Then I spend a couple of hours looking for a shelf that would fit where I need it and hold the weight. I found answers online, but the store employees were less than worthless. Then I decided to build a stand. I don't have a saw that will cut through a 4X4, so I had the guy @ home depot cut them. 2 were a 16th of an inch off, one was an 8th of an inch off and one was 3/16ths off. I shimmed the stand with 1/16th acrylic, the bottom (sump) shelf was measured off of the bottom of the feet, so I think I'll shim the MDF there. So I stayed up all night building the stand, then today I got enough LS to make a DSB and a couple pieces of LR. Yeah, Dick offered me a phenomenal deal on Marco Rock while I was down for the meeting, but my dumb-ass didn't take it when I could get it inexpensively. Then, this am, I put the tank on the stand, and they caddy corners are off. Weird, I know. No matter what surface I set it on, the tank wobbles back and forth on the two opposing corners. My fix? I made the top out of 1/2" MDF with that pink R .4 insulation foam from Home Depot to place the tank on. I think it may be the bottom brace/aesthetic cover. Those should flex just enough to keep the tank from breaking. Then, I messed up on my math and didn't have enough water, so I used up the rest of the RO water I had. So, now I have a 37 gallon fuge to grow out my pods, and later I will hook up an OF to my display from the fuge. I will post what I have taken pics of, but the whole system is pretty Kool. The fuge is a go, now to populate it!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    All's well that ends well! It sounds like a good job all around.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Not actually LS, I meant caribsea pink Fiji aragonite and a cup of LS from my DT. Here are some pics of the tank right after putting water in it. I'll be slowly adding more LR to the tank and a couple different Macroalgaes. I hope to find somebody in the area who is as lucky as Salty so I can get a colony of Mysis Shrimp and Bristle Worms going in there! Who knows, AlgaGen may start selling Mysis and Bristle Worm cultures too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Algagen does sell live Mysids by 100 count. Haven’t gotten them on my web site yet. I got some, they are really cool and lively.

Your order is hear, Mike. Just wanted to get through today (2 - dental procedures), one this am, one this afternoon. I’ve opened the bottles on all the copepods for air exchange and I’m feeding them. They look great. Probably ship tomorrow, you’ll receive Thursday.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    OUCHIES! Sorry about the dental appointments, I understand. I have a tendency to clench my teeth when I'm concentrating on something (totally subconscious, and in my line of work, popping in a mouth guard is a great way to contract hepaherpagynosyphilaids...) so I end up cracking teeth, then fillings, then teeth and fillings simultaneously. Dentists LOVE me, and they yell at me too.
    I'm really excited about the pods... you could probly tell by the build, huh? I'll get some Mysids after I get off of on-call.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    They're Here! They came this morning, and C floated them (with the light off) all day, adding a pippet of water to each every 15 to 20 min.

When I got home I poured them in, and while they were settling, I added a few caps of phyto pure. When I turned on the light, they were very visible! I'm serious, I can see them flitting about the tank from my desk chair! Those would be the Tangerine pods, the Tisbe pods are very difficult to see with the naked eye. My plan is to feed them Phyto Pure twice a day for a few weeks, meanwhile, I'll be adding LR and Macroalgaes. After about a month, I'll tie the fuge into the DT. At the moment the "filter" is a pump that pulls water up, into a plastic trough and lets it return to the tank in two separate places, just keeping the water moving. I have a sponge on the end of the intake to help keep the pod mortality rate down.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It really is kool to be sitting here, watching pods moving around in a 37gal tank, from about 5 feet away!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I put a piece of LR with some type of red macro algae on it in the fuge. It looked like it was doing well under the 65k bulbs, but the other day it looked like it had white patches all over it. As I stepped closer, the white patches seemed to be moving. The white patches were hordes of copepods crawling all over the macro! I don't see as many Tangerine pods as before, but my guess is they are all over the LR and the substrate. I see large and small amphipods, and I think some of the small amphipods are actually the Tangerine pods. I can still sit in my chair, at my desk and see pods all over the glass, moving independently of the currents . I think they are doing very well. My ammonia test lever reached any number of significance, so I am going to start testing all three. Maybe using water from the DT helped a bit there. My big deal is no ammonia and no nitrites, my DT can handle a little nitrates for a little while, if things go well, I'll have it tied in in a week or two. I wish I had a decent camera so I could get a good pic posted of these guys.
    Last edited by Mostly Rock; 04-14-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: redundancy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    These new copepod culture starters are a big hit. You are experiencing the same success others are reporting back to us. The Macro Algae in our sumps are now teaming with several species of AlgaGen’s copepods AND a population of Mysid shrimp from the same source. More products are coming.

Here’s the link to the Copepod cultures - AlgaGen’s Copepods

And the food to keep them fat and sassy - AlgaGen’s Food for Copepods

Beaware, there are two PhycoPures. One marked Copepod Blend and the other Reef Blend. The second is for feeding your reef. They are both excellent products we use in our aquaculture facility.
    Amphibious

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I was going to ask you to bring more Phyco Pure if you were coming up for the swap, do you think DT's will suffice until the frag swap? I should have gotten two bottles.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Have any of you ever thought the Amphipods look like miniature alien rabbits? The move around like them... This Fuge is bad ass.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Rock View Post
    Have any of you ever thought the Amphipods look like miniature alien rabbits? The move around like them... This Fuge is bad ass.
    LOL, I can spend hours laying on my belly watching the critters in my fuge!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thread Information