Thread: Pod question/help

Thanks

Pod question/help

Pods are something I've never done much research on. Over the last few months they have been multiplying to plague proportions. Is it possible to have to many? They dont appear to be harming anything but have become unsightly to look at. Is there any way to thin them out without adding something to eat them? I didnt mind them when the only time I saw them was in the middle of the night with a flashlight. Now there is so many, they are everywhere even with the lights on. I took a short vid tonight, maybe you guys can help me find a positive ID and possible remedy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    those are not pods look like mysis shrimp

Thanks
    I found a few good pics and would have to say you're right. I've cut way back on feedings since about Christmas when I had a cyano issue. There has been a huge drop in my bristleworm population. Is it possible these little guys are cleaning up the dying worms thus creating their explosion in numbers? If so..when they run out of food they will die off also. Or will the mysid die off fuel the remaining worms and repeat the cycle all over again?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm not sure, but I would love to get some from you so I can start a culture when I get a gravity drain fuge set up. My JBJ 24 fell through at the last minute, so I'm back to the drawing board... again. You should plan a trip down to see Amphibious! ...and stop by my place and drop some off on your way!

Thanks
    LOL. I tried to suck a few out with a turkey baster to get a good pic of them but those little buggers are FAST. I would love to get down that way for a visit but it seems like the more money I put in the bank is the more shoes the wife comes home with..lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I completely understand.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    To be honest I would just let them run their course. It is free food for your fish and they will start to eat each other if their food source drops. I wish I had them running around like that in my tank.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    me too. seriously.

Thanks
    I have a different kind of explosion going on now. Amphipods. I've only seen 1 or 2 of them at a time but last night (about 2:00 AM) I woke up to one of my cats knocking stuff over on my dresser. After picking up everything I figured I'd go take a peek in the tank with a flashlight. There were at least 50 of these guys running around. So I managed to suck one out with the turkey baster and put it in a test kit tube and floated it till this morning when I could video it. These things aren't little either,a few are 1/4 to 1/2". I released it back to the tank after the video and it didn't take long for it to find a rock to hide in. It didn't seem like it cared for the light a whole lot. Anywho, here is the vid of it in case I'm wrong on the ID.

http://youtu.be/TwSlyDaEm54

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice Amphipod! I just noticed the McReefy thing... lol

Thanks
    wow salty, on your way to see phib, drop some by here too!! You have lots of free food!! You would laugh if you saw me clean my pads and sponges. Its a ritual, funny to watch me get every pod out of them and back into the tank! Great mandarin and seahorse food!!
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows
    Most people have skeletons in their closet, mine are in my sump!

Thread Information