Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY Custom ATO

Thanks

DIY Custom ATO

This is also posted in my online tank jounal.

I have completed my custom sump and ATO system. If it is OK with Rob I will post these details both here and in my journal.

Project Overview:
    I wanted to add an ATO system to refill my sump when the water from the main tank was lost due to evaporation. I needed a custom solution, I didn't want it to be an eyesore like the 5 gallon bucket and doser pump that I was currently using. Here is an overview shot of the work area:

I decided that a 10 gallon Rubbermaid tub would fit well under the existing bar booth seat.

Only slight modifications would need to be made to the booth and the system would be hidden from sight.

Thanks
    Project Details - The Parts:

My idea was to put Keep It Simple (Stupid). I tend to get very complex when working of things like this. So I decided to install the smallest pump I could find to deliver the water to the sump. I choose to go with the Hydor Pico. The Pico was very small when I got it, about the size of an HP printer cartridge. I used 3/8" hose to carry the water.

For the control inputs I choose to go with a float switch that I saw on Ebay. I purchased 3 of them.

I needed to figure out how I was going to switch the pump (120 volts) on and off. I obviously didn't want to run 120 volts through the switches, although they would handle that. Instead I borrowed a trick I use almost everyday at work...I used a relay.

Whats a relay? A relay is an electrical switch that opens and closes under control of another electrical circuit. So bssically I could run a lower voltage through the float switches and when all three switches were in a "closed" position they would close the switch on the pump circuit turning it on. When one of the float went to an "open" position, the pump would stop. I happened to have the right relay for the job in my garage, a left over taken out of a project that I worked on earlier in the year.

So I had the switches, the relay, the pump, but I needed a lower voltage that would control the relay (through the switches). I founf an old transformer in the garage. It was 12 volts DC, just what the relay required. I also grabbed one of those cheap extension cords to supply my 120 power.

All of the electronics would be housed in a standard electical 4 square box with cover, and I decided to run everything from the reservoir to the sump in a PVC pipe to keep the job clean.

Pump- $12
    Container -$4
    Hose - $4
    PVC Pipe - Free
    3 Float Switches - $30 (incl ship)
    Wire - Free
    Relay - Free
    12v Transformer - Free
    Not having to put water in the sump everyday - PRICELESS

Total Cost to me: $50

Thanks
    Wiring Scheme...

I scratched out a plan on the wiring on a box lid. Ran a few quick tests with the switches and came up with this plan.

PLEASE NOTE: If you don't have much electrical knowledged you should seek help from someone who does. You risk eletrocution and death with this project. Water and voltage don't mix.

NC=Normally Closed - Voltage flows between NC and COM when the relay is not energized.

Com = Common

NO = Normally Open - Voltage flows between NC and COM when the relay is Energized.

Now I will explain what you see. The 12volt transformer flows voltage through three switches. The reservoir swith is closed (or allows voltage to pass) if there is water in the reservoir. If I am low this is open to not allow the ATO pump to run dry.

The Sump High switch protects from a stuck float and overflow. This switch is closed if it is LOW. If the water causes this switch to float HIGH it stops the pump. Obviously this switch is high in my sump.

The sump low switch is what tells the system ATO pump that water is needed in the sump. When it goes low, it closes. As long as the reservior has water and the sump high switch is not floating, the water will run until this switch floats again.

When all three switches are in the closed positon, voltage runs through a coil (built into the relay not shown) and it causes the NC and NO terminals to switch states. So since we are hooked through NO and COM, when all switchs are closed voltage flows through the extension cord. When one of the switches opens, the electricity through the cord is stopped.

If we plug the pump into the female end of the extension, we can control it.

Thanks
    Putting it all together.

I placed the rubbermaid container in the bottom of the seat., drilled a hole in the to to allow the cod and hose to run through. I pulled the seat away from the wall and drilled a 3/4" hole through the lower side of the booth frame to accomidate wire and tubing.

I mounted the PVC to the wall, and ran my 12 volt wire from the relay to the switches, my tubing, my extension cord (the outlet is behind the tank) and an extra 2 wires just in case I need them later.

I mounted the junction box and wired the relay.

Here is a photo of the final under the booth seat.

I then mounted the sump sensors, here is a photo of them. The other switch is partially blocked from view by the skimmer. I used silicone on the wire nut connections in the sump area...better safe then sorry.

And then I plugged it in and gave it a test. As you can see, when the float is down, the water runs in!

After 24 hours the sump was at the exact same level. It works like a charm. I don't have to look at a doser pump, constantly adjust the dose, see a bucket in my bar area and the reef is more stable....we ALL win!

Thanks
    great work, looks very similar to mine...

are you topping of with water, or kalk?
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    good workwildone. i use the blueline pumpsaver and the tsunami top-up sensor. your float switches seem much more economical. can you tell me more and where i can find them. is there a brand name?
    USA

Thanks
    ROb, I am topping off with just RO water. My next step is to check out the Kalk podcast and figure out what to do from there.

Walrus, look up a store on E-bay called FISHBOWL INNOVATIONS. I didn't see a name brand on them. I plan on siliconing them in place once I determine they are in the best location. I wouldn't want them to fall and create problems....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildeone
    ROb, I am topping off with just RO water. My next step is to check out the Kalk podcast and figure out what to do from there.
    ok, cool, but if you go to kalk, you might want to eiher keep a close eye on that pump or go to a peristaltic pump, as kalk kills those impeller pumps..

just a heads up..
    Show people you appreciate there advice, click the icon under there name and give them Reputation points

Thanks
    thanks wildone, i'll check it out.
    USA

Thanks
    any updates on ATO?

are you a history or aviation buff? i love your ARMY AIR CORP stuff
    USA

Thanks
    any updates on ATO?
    ATo is working real well. I had a slight problem that I never ran into until I installed the ATO and that is I had 2 large Turbo snails plug both overflows at the same time. I thought by intalling two overflows the chances of that were real slim, but alas they fooled me. So needless to say, my sump ran low, the ATO kicked in and dumped 5 gallons of RO water into the tank. Not a huge deal, but it dropped the salinity to 1.023 or 1.024. So I had to raise that back up with changeouts. Since then I have covered my overflows with GutterGuard material to prevent this from happening again.

One thing I do want to do is take the float that is in the reservoir and tie it to a second relay so when it is low it kills the pump (so it doesn't run dry) and trips a wireless transmitter that will in turn trip a silent zone on my home alarm system and in turn will page my cell phone to remind me to fill it back up. Yeah, I am lazy and hate to look and see if it needs filled .

are you a history or aviation buff? i love your ARMY AIR CORP stuff
    I am an aviation buff. My basement or "hangar" as I call it is full of aviation items including the frame of an actual piper cub tail that I snagged off of Ebay. I have always loved aviation, but I have yet to get a license, but I will some day. My idol growing up was Eddie Rickenbacker (The only American Ace from WWI) mainly because he lived down the road from my Grandparents here in Columbus! Anyway, I digress.....

Thanks
    wow, i don't run into too many guys who share my passions. my first decal was the hat in the ring logo, complete with 26 tags.
    USA

Thanks
    Very cool! We are kind of off topic and should move this to the Discussion lounge, but do you like all aviation or just an Eddie fan? I kind of lucked out and got to meet Colonel Morgan, captian of the Memphis Belle and I had a good talk with the co-pilot of the Bockscar on the Nagasaki Mission, Fred Olovi. They both were great to rub elbows with. Those are a couple of my brushes with Aviation Fame!

Thanks
    i'm a history buff with a strong emphasis on military aviation. lets continue this elsewhere.
    USA

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Great topoff design wildeone! I like the switch in the reservoir as well.

Thanks
    great system wildone i'm guessing your and electricain or somthing right.
    Live life to the fullest you next breath is not promised to you!!

Thanks
    wildone, im getting ready to do a sump for myself and i was wondering what you thought about those little floats. i like how small they are and was thinking about getting some. have you had any problems with them?

Save a coral, Trade a frag.
    Stop The World, I Want Off

Thanks
    I haven't had any trouble with them. They work real well. I did not rely on the suction cup to hold them in place, I siliconed them in place.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wildman, your such a lazy bugger with your silent trip feed!
    is it an occupational hazzard to think up such cool ideas like that my man?
    u pulled that off, or is it still in the pipeline?

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by veriann
    veriann, as wildeone just showed with his Ben Franklin qoute........there IS a God!
    USA

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    not that i didn't believe wildmans signature! but i checked on that! fair dinkumdude he was

Vquilibrium Productions

Thanks
    OK I seem to have lost something in that heavy Austraillian accent. Let me show you how I translated.

wildman, you are lazy because or your ATO system, but in a cool way.

Your ideas are real good, I'll bet they keep you busy...

Ummm did you get it done, or is it still in the works?

And I have no idea how we sarted talking about beer or God!

Thanks
    I didn't believe the quote either, but the writing was on the wall.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wildeone
    And I have no idea how we sarted talking about beer or God!
    wildeone, it looks like you took Ben's advise and got too happy! haha

you gotta pick up on the dry british/aussie humor! this is a thread about your ATO.............automatic top off for people is beer, God's will, and as you said, the writing is on the wall!
    USA

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    nice work wildman

let me give u a hint

have u completed it or is it still on the "to do list"

Vquilibrium Productions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information