Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Acan Issue

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Acan Issue

I'm On Call, I haven't spent much time with my tank this week. The front glass has a nice film across it, and I missed doing a water change. I'm also exhausted, and God only knows what chemicals are embedded in my skin right now... So seeing my Acan RTNing is really freaking me out. Every other coral in my tank looks awesome. I just got home from work, and I was looking at the corals. Everything looks great, except the Pink Panties Acan, There are polyps with sweeper tentacles out, but the polyps around the bottom, near to the frag disk are sloughing off their flesh, which has turned into a light, see through jelly in the spots where it is attached to the skeleton. I've never fragged a coral, and I don't even know if this one is big enough to attempt it. I can get coral Rx tonight, but after dipping that torch and it dieing anyway, I'm nervous about dipping it ...even though the crazy blue sponge eventually grew over the rest of the skeleton. My params are fine, I used my refrac, checker and my API test kits, and nothing is really out of normal for my tank. Very Frustrating. I have a RBTA and Acros doing phenomenally, and my Acan is melting.

Thanks
    I've done some reading on acans lately. I'll try to throw out a few tid-bits from memory without having to go back and verify. You probably already know that acans prefer low flow and low to moderate light. They dont need to be fed but if you do..you need to be careful not to overfeed. The heads can turn protien into larger/new heads faster than the skeleton can use calcium to build a sturdy enough structure to support them. Thus the undersides of the heads may be pinching and creating small tears allowing a place for bacteria or fungus to take hold. It is also recomended not to add acans to a softy dominated tank. When corals like GSP start growing like weeds they produce a chemical that will make acans unhappy. There are some corals that actually do better in "dirtier" water. Acans need nitrates and get most of their nitrogen from fish waste but if thats not enough they may benefit from a calcium nitrate suplement.
    Anyway..after babbling all that I realized that preventative measures wont help you a bit since you have the problem now. Can you get any good pics? Any other corals nearby to sting it? Added any liverock or anything that may have introduced a bad hitchhiker? Sounds like you may need to dip or frag or both if it's to be saved. I've heard of a few people who removed as much damaged tissue as possible and smothered the infected area at the base with epoxy putty but sucess was limited.

Thanks
    I just remembered that you had caught a fireworm. Did it make it's way back into the tank or could there be others that have taken a liking to your acan?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have only had RTN once and it ended with all my LPS dieing. That being said, I would frag it to remove all the jelly and then dip it to see if you can stop the disease.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have pulled another 3 fireworms out since the first one. The Jelly like flesh isn't present today, but the pink is not healthy looking. The back side is all skeleton. Last Wednesday the entire thing looked gorgeous... I just got another call, so I have to leave again. This is stressful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm home again. I just did a Coral Rx dip. I think it's too little too late.

Thanks
    My fingers are crossed. Is it a new coral to you. Seems like the most amount of trouble I read about was in the first few weeks of having it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I got it with the last batch of corals I got, at a frag auction about a month and a half ago. I haven't added anything to the tank since then. I have really been concentrating on the torch issue, but the Acan has been looking awesome, the polyps were all puffed out and proud looking, I'm not sure about since last Wednesday, I've been working a lot. I did move it, because the toadstool leather was getting a little close, and I'm guessing the higher flow and greater light exposure may have contributed to it. After I dipped it I put it in the opposite corner of the tank where there is a little less flow.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think all you can do now is to keep an eye on it and hope for the best. There is enough polyp there that I think it might recover.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If only Coral Rx would list whether or not you should dip multiple times, and how much time you should have between each dip.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I know you can dip Lugols every 24-48 hours but I am not sure about Coral Rx. Have you tried emailing them?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, it's too late now though. She's entirely bone white. there may be a little pink spot, but I think it's just my imagination.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh no, I'm sorry.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Insightful Reefer
    Thanks
    That's a bummer for sure

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    So, yeah. I'm pretty sure now, that there "ain't no comin' back" for the Acan. The Good News is nothing else has fallen ill. The whole tank continues to grow and be beautiful. I am going to get another acan, but not another really expensive one for a while. I have to do significantly more research first. Like optimal levels for acans and the like, just to start with. Maybe at the space coast reef club meeting at The Cultured Reef at the end of the month! I can't wait to see that system again!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Rock View Post
    Maybe at the space coast reef club meeting at The Cultured Reef at the end of the month! I can't wait to see that system again!
    Wish I could be there!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    We wish you would be there too Carmie!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ah no, that looks like buzzards picked it to death.

What are all you guys doing a round at ampage's house?

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I live about 100 miles (160 or so clicks) north of Amphibious, he's hosting the Space Coast Reef Club @ his facility in Ft. Peirce. My daughter thinks he's the koolest thing since sliced bread, so we are all looking forward to cruzin down for the meeting, the Day after our own ORCA meeting. It's gonna be a busy weekend, but it'll be a blast too!

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah fantastic!
    Trust me, i'd be over at ampages house constantly, even with that distance. I'd have my own beer cooler left there and everything!

Take some shots if you can, sounds like something id like to see whilst licking my outback wounds from living too far away.

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Will Do. ...at least I will try. My wife was trying to figure out how to change the batteries (on a camera that we've had for 2 years) and she ripped off the clips that hold the door in place (push, slide, done... No, lets try PRY! SNAP!) and my boss is switching out my blackberry for a different phone, so I don't know if I'll come up with any decent shots, but I'll try.

Thanks
    Be sure to tell him we miss him around here. He doesn't seem to pop in as much as he used to. I wouldn't mind a mug and a tee shirt either if they were on his site.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I will definitely bug him about a mug and a t-shirt. I know he's been super busy, I think he likes the extra work the facility gives him

Thanks
    HEY!!! I know I havent been here in awile, but Phib could let me know about party at HIS house, I need some more supplies too! what about it Phib?? r u forgetting your palm beach friends???
    wow, time to update!!

125 gl reef
    37 gl sump/fuge
    3x250 20k radiums
    dual uverflows
    Most people have skeletons in their closet, mine are in my sump!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    HI LAURA! How are you?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information