Thread: Is this Aipatasia

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

Is this Aipatasia

I just wanted to get a few opinions on these guys before I start eradicating them. I have been noticing a few of them at a time turning up on my rock,,and I am almost positive they are aipatasia but I want to be sure. The two in the pic are larger than a quarter and in total there are about more 5 this size and about 5 more that are smaller,,,,, that I can see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes. Those are the sith spawn Aiptasia. I recommend Aiptasia X, there are a few good instructional vids online. I also recommend getting a handful of peppermint shrimp to take care of any new ones before they get big enough to notice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ^^What he said!^^
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

Mostly Rock (03-04-2011)

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Thanks,,,,I have been hitting them with a calcium mixture but they just seem to move,,,,got the aiptasiaX today going to blast them with that now

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Aiptasia reproduce by pedal laceration so if you leave even a tiny bit of them alive they can regrow. I haven't used Aiptasia X but I know with Joe's Juice the little pests stay open and eat it so the get nuked from the inside out.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Aiptasia X does that too. The aiptasia will actually reach out and "suck" on the syringe. The only time I've had to use it more than once was when I dealt with that gigantor sith lord of evil incarnate, but he hasn't shown back up.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    Well I hit them with Aiptasia X a couple of days ago and they shrunk up for a while but are starting to come back. I re dosed today and we will see what happens. Personally I dont think the stuff is that great. It seems to do pretty good on smaller ones but I have a few of the Sith Lords he is talking about and they are tough.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    My big one took a few doses. Have you looked into Peppermint shrimp? They won't do much to the Sith Lords, but the smaller ones get mowed down. They are great at making sure you never see one again.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I have a few peppermint shrimp that I added about a week ago just for that purpose. While people are responding to my posts can anyone tell me what the best way to get a diamond watchman goby to eat is. I tried some cut up frozen krill pushed into the sand. He found it but spit it out. I have some frozen mysis cubes but they are so small its hard to feed him because he wont go after them and I cant tell if he finds them in the sand when I hide them. My sand bed is about 4 inched deep in a 65 gallon tank and I don't know if he is finding enough food even though he is digging constantly.,,,,,,,,and thanks for all of your help so far....you all are great and have the best advice that I have seen.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had a Diamond Goby once. I also had a Flounder. The Diamond Goby landed on the flounder and the flounder took a chunk out of his tail. He eventually perished, and I took the Flounder to my LFS. My Bullet Goby is similar though, and he occasionally pecked at the Nori in my clip, but mostly he sifted sand, and he got plenty to eat. How old is the sand bed? After about six months the fauna in the sand bed along with the detritus will keep him well fed. I have a Yellow Watchman who is fat and happy. I see him sift sand a little, but mostly he goes after mysis in the water column when I feed in the am and pm.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    My sand bed is about 8 months old, maybe he will be o.k. I just hate to see something suffer. I kind of inherited this fish from someone who cant take care of a saltwater set up any more. He is an active little turkey and keeps my water cloudy. He burrows all the way to the glass then gets tired of it and starts somewhere else,,,lol....and thanks again for the help.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    He is probably very happy in there

Thanks
    Any updates?

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    pedal laceration
    So sexy words like that!

Vquilibrium Productions

Curious Reefer
    Thanks

They are back again

After the 3rd dosing with Aiptasia X they are all back and with a vengeance. I counted 5 day before yesterday and 8 today. The shrimp are ignoring them because of the size I am sure. I am going to try the Joes Juice next. The Goby seems to be doing fine, I can get him to nibble some small pieces of shrimp from the feeding stick I use to feed my eel, but if the pieces are very large he spits them out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    with the Aip X, you are basically sticking the "needle" in their orifice, right?

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Doesn't matter their all the same, needle applicator.
    Does your shrimp go after the small one's at least, which can leave you to concentrate on the big ones.

Ive seen the cattle prod they have for these now. Their selling them in the states

Vquilibrium Productions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The reason I ask about the placement of the needle is that I know a guy who was battling some aiptasia with Aiptasia X and he wasn't getting the applicator into the orifice, so it didn't work out so well. I noticed that when you bring the applicator close and it starts to withdraw, if you puff out a little it'll actually draw the applicator into the orifice on it's own, then you can fill it to the brim with certain death!

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I am going with nuclear weapons next.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'd start pulling out rock next.

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I thought about pulling out rock but I have hundreds of feather dusters in huge colonies on all my rock and I hate to kill them. The evil minions aren't really hurting anything at the moment as I basically only have FOLWR for now. I will continue to try to kill them. I have a 150 gal that I am wanting to set up in the near future and transfer all this to it, so I would like to exterminate them before I do that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    All I can say is keep at it. The one Gigantor one in my tank took three shots to kill, and I'm pretty sure he was satans boss. He was so big that I actually felt the needle being tugged on when he pulled it into his orifice.

Our Brotha Down Unda
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    B@st@rd things they are. We've all done battle and some point or another.

Vquilibrium Productions

Curious Reefer
    Thanks
    I put the needle in his mouth and he flipped me the bird and bit it in half,,,,,,,,I just nuked them again I will give it a couple of days and see what happens this time.

Thread Information