Thread: sump/refuge update, advise please, ready to move forward.

Thanks

sump/refuge update, advise please, ready to move forward.

Ive been building this sump/refuge for 2 months, the display is 150gal. its a 110 gallon sump, with a aqua medic skimmer, and a top fathom 300A skimmer, turbotwist 36watt UV, cpr 7' sock filter, 3 stage rena filstar, RO/DI unit 100gph, 24x24x10 acrylic frag tank(with 1 250w MH, 2 PC, and 4 leds),Mag 18 return pump, cpr cs201 overflow box, adding a remote deep sand bed but need advise on the best method. Any advise would be very helpful thanks a ton. Also i need help with what to grow in refuge? Chato? Not sure. Ive attached pics so you can see what i've got, PLEASE let me know what else i could do to create optimum growing conditions. reactors? Mud? DSB? Chato? anything.Ricorida is what I plan on growing first. Thanks a ton.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Brandon and to TR!

You have a good setup started. I would not use the canister filter, you really don't need it and, unless you clean it at least weekly, they tend to raise nitrates. In a system your size it may not be significant but why put the burden on your tank? I would definitely add a RDSB for denitrification. Chaeto is a good tried and true macro for in the fuge. I also like caulerpa because it is such a fast grower but you have to be really careful to not let it get in the display because it is invasive and is hard to eradicate once it gets a foothold.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    the canister is actually empty, i just use it as a way to power the UV, I know its dumb, but it was plumbed that way when it was under the tank so I was tring to keep inital cast down. So how big should i make the RDSB? I all ready have the bulkheads and all plumbing.

Thanks
    Oh, and what lights to use on the refuge and how long per day? I heard to leave them on at night to keep the PH levels stable? Is there any truth to that?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMBNE472 View Post
    the canister is actually empty, i just use it as a way to power the UV, I know its dumb, but it was plumbed that way when it was under the tank so I was tring to keep inital cast down. So how big should i make the RDSB? I all ready have the bulkheads and all plumbing.
    That is a good use of the canister. Plus you can use it to run media if needed or for occasional water polishing. The latest idea is to have a RDSB in a couple of sections so you can take part of it off line if you want or need to. I haven't changed over to a RDSB so I am not really 100% certain of what to tell you size wise. Dick, AKA Amphibious, is using them and I will ask him to check in.

Quote Originally Posted by BJMBNE472 View Post
    Oh, and what lights to use on the refuge and how long per day? I heard to leave them on at night to keep the PH levels stable? Is there any truth to that?
    I use a plant grow light in one of those clip on reflectors over my fuge, if yours is longer you could use a cheap shop light fixture instead. I do run it on a reverse cycle from my tank lights to keep the pH stable.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmieJo For This Useful Post:

BJMBNE472 (01-17-2011)

Thread Information