Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank Remodel Complete...

Thanks

Tank Remodel Complete...

For those of you who have been through my ups and downs here in the forums, I was thinking of changing out my substrate from Black Hawaiian to conventional Bahama Sand.

Well I have made the transition and I must say it was a chore but what a difference! I am convinced that the black was causing some if not all of my chemistry issues. As soon as I put the new sand in and the silt settled, the fish all seemed to be a whole lot more visibly happier and the Ph issues are leveled out...Good call to CarmieJo!

I also ordered 50# Marco Rocks Key Largo dry rock and replaced the bulk of my LR that was algae covered with bright and shiny new stuff. I kept my favorite pieces as starter pieces to seed the new rock. So my fish are happier.. I am happier and the only gripe I have is I cannot keep the sand in place in the front because the power heads vortex moves it around. I'll add 2 more PHeads later and maybe that will help that, dunno.

Anyhow...
    Just thought I would share my news!
    Matt Colson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10-6
    See you in 2012

Thanks
    do you have before and after shots?
    we are all on the long road to our dream tanks, im going slow and enjoying the journey!

Thanks
    As a matter of fact I do...

Thats A Before pic.... When I first set up my tank

Now the new look under T5 blue light.. almost bedtime...

Everything is so much happier... I need to buy sand sifting snails I think I lost most of them in the gravel change. The brown area is from pellets on the sands not being eaten.

I actually have about 65 pounds of LR in there now because it interlock and fits better than the natural stuff I had, also I have the Bahama sand 4+ inches deep under the LR but in front the power heads have blown it back to a 2 inch layer... Haven't a clue how to stop that..

Over all very pleased with the results.. Marco Rocks... ROCKS!!!!
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mpcolson For This Useful Post:

boyesreef (02-17-2011)

Thanks
    Looks pretty sharp. A little "naked"...lol. Look forward to seeing it fill in.

Thanks
    Well Salty,

I needed to get a handle on the balance in the water so I could begin to buy corals and stuff. After another week I think I will begin to look into some polyp cluster or pipe organ coral. I really am leaning to pipe organ.

Trouble is, again I'm in Oklahoma so I am going to have to go mail order on this. The locals don't have good selection of corals that I have seen. Guess I'll be buying from Petsolutions or Liveaquaria.com for my goodies. I'll post as I go.

TTYL...
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Apprentice
    Thanks
    bluezooaquatics.com is also a good online store. also saw spikescorals.com on this webpage for corals mostly all frags

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It looks good Matt. Once you get a biofilm on the sand it will stay in place.
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    I was scared the ammonia would blow up doing this, I think the sump had enough bio-material in it to keep the levels fairly safe. That and the original LR I keep in the tank I suppose. I also tried to keep some of the brown gunk that had worms and pods in it in the tank. I think that also helped.

I just need to watch my feeding habit and I adjusted my lighting to 5 hours a day... PERIOD. I was letting it stay lit too long too often.

I'll be glad when the sand does settle down, it's a pain right now but I figured it would settle at some point.
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Thanks
    Another lesson learned...

I went to our friends at Reeftopia.com and built a real clean-up crew. I didn't invest into this in my previous tank like I should have. This is what I bought:

• 12 Nassarius Snails
    • 12 Cerith Snails
    • 4 Fighting Conch
    • 12 Tegulia Snails
    • 5 Star Snails
    • 12 Turbo Snails
    • 12 Med Blue Hermit Crabs
    • 12 Scarlet Red Hermit Crabs
    • 4 Peppermint Shrimp (freebies!)

I already had 3 turbos and a few astrea snails plus I think I have about 9 little blue hermits and 4 red hermits. I threw out my Cerith snails with my gravel , even though I tried to find them. I did salvage about 6 of them. And I have 4 emerald crabs.

I think this should keep me ahead of any algae problems now with all these critters in the tank. I find myself telling people to start from the sand and go up but I don't follow my own advice. <--- BIG DUMMY!!

Anyway I thought I'd toss an update in here just for kicks.
    Last edited by mpcolson; 12-09-2010 at 11:51 PM.
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wow that's a lot! I would watch those hermits with that many I would be afraid of them killing your snails for their shells. How much algae do you have in your tank?
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rayme07 For This Useful Post:

mpcolson (01-29-2011)

Thanks
    Right now I don't have much. I have a turf beginning to grow on the sand and discoloring on the LR. So I think I am beginning to get a growth again. This tank had a BAD hair algae growth which is what I am trying to avoid.

I also hang a veggie clip every other day that I see some snails nibble on from time to time. I read that a good clean up crew was 2 critters per gallon.. I am just below that. I suppose it will be survival of the fittest if that is an incorrect ratio. I read that in several places. I guess I can run my lights a little longer to give them more to munch.
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I avoid any guideline that is #/gallon. How big is the animal l-w-d? What are the tank dimensions? What's the bioload? Until you know answers like these and more you don't have enough information to make a decision.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks

Water Test Results...

I finally got my API Master Reef Test Kit today... Early Christmas present to ME.

I don't know what to make of the results:

Ca 400-430
    Kh 286.4 ppm (OFF THE CHART)
    Po 0.00
    Nitrate 40 ppm
    My salinity is .025

It's like I get two dead on point and two that are deadly wrong. I just did a 5 gallon water change prior to this test.

Just for the record this is a 50 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump.

I have the following fish in the tank:

1 Blue Green Chromis
    1 Coral Beauty
    1 Yellow Tang
    2 False Peculla Clowns

Plus the previously mentioned crabs and snails.

Dimensions are 36 wide 17 tall 18 deep (front to back)

I have approximately 65 lbs. of Live Rock in the tank with a 4" deep sand bed.

Since I recently did the change from the Hawaiian gravel to beach sand I can understand the Nitrates... But the Kh is miles high. What would cause that??? How do I correct this? Will it cause problems ... what type??
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Are you dosing anything? Alk and Ca are inversely proportional so high alk should lead to low Ca. Did you happen to test the new water before you added it ? Did you add the reagent one drop at a time and swirl the test tube between drops? It is also possible that the test kit is faulty.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    I'm gonna retest this stuff today. I think I must have done something wrong. Perhaps the water sample was contaminated by dishwasher soap residue or something.

I have my kids this week end so I think I might be better served to test AFTER they leave so I can pay better attention.

I don't have any signs from the fish that I am creating an unhealthy environment, even the Yellow Tang which usually get Ich at the first sign of stress is doing great and eating his red algae leaves like a champ. So everything is passing the "eye test".
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The eye test is always a good reference. Let the kids do chemistry experiments! They'll think t's loads of fun
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Well guys and gals I went to phase II of my Marine hobby now and invested in CORALS!!! Of course as my luck would have it, I ordered from a company in NEW YORK... Check the weather.... Haven't gotten my main order yet due to a blizzard or some such wintry mess going on up there.

SOoooo... I went to my LFS and they have a recently added frag tank that was placed with good lighting and tiered for good viewing. Prior to this they had coral in a dim corner as a after thought. So I gave it a once over and bought a nice mis-priced green polyp frag from a clerk that could not read his price chart.

It should have cost $35.00 he sold it for $17.99 and was pulled to the side after my sale! I love it when a learning experience works in my favor!

Anyhow. I placed the little slab on a piece of LR with a rubber band and after a few hours now it is opening like it was in the store. By morning I hope it fills like it displayed. Either way I wanted it to create a carpet rock so I'm off and running will a $300.00 order stuck in Manhattan. CAN'T WAIT!

Here's a pic of today's find in night light mode....

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/at...achmentid=5047
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Are they stuck at the store or in transit?
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Oh.. They are at his store. He had to frag to order on a couple of pieces and let them heal. After that the weather came and he won't ship them. I may not get them until spring at this rate but I would rather that than them stuck in the Memphis hub for 3-4 days.

I will say the store is uniquecorals.com and the guy is almost too cautious about shipping. Dick aka Amphibious would be proud of this guy..lol
    Last edited by mpcolson; 01-30-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is way better than stuck in transit!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Well here I sit in Oklahoma ... IN A BLIZZARD!

11" inches of snow...4' foot drifts and a white-out condition!! I am wondering to myself... If the weather continues to be bad for an extended period, my frags will begin to grow while they wait to transport. Is that a good thing or not???

I can definitely say NOTHING is moving around Oklahoma for the next week or so and a follow up lighter storm in on the horizon.

ARGH!!! I hate the winter!!

/RANT OFF
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Thanks
    As long as the frags aren't sitting at fed-ex in a frozen warehouse I wouldn't worry.
    As for winter...I feel your pain. We got 15" yesterday. For the winter we are average on snowfall. About 75" so far with a few months left. I'll trade with ya..lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Matt, by the time they get to you the price will have gone up because they will be full colonies! LOL
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thanks
    Carmie,

You don't know how true that might be. You should read some of the back and forth e-mails we have sent. I think we are both are starting to feel like the Dahmer Party*.

I thought this was going to clear this next week but flurries forcasted yesterday became 2 inches and now they are looking at a repeat BOOMER storm Tuesday and Wednesday. For New York thats really not that big of a deal BUT Oklahoma City isn't designed for that kind of storm so we just lock the doors and hope we don't run outta smokes.

Mean while as you said I think the single polyp purchases I made are definitely going to begin to grow soon. I just hope that won't effect my ability to place them in my tank with out issues.

What a mess...

Good news is the frag I bought locally is thriving and seems to want to expand. So I feel confident when the rest come I will have good luck with them as well. I have all the sites surveyed where they will be placed. I just need 3 days of decent weather.

*The Dahmer party were pioneers trying to cross the Sierra Nevada mountain range too late in the year and had to resort to cannibalism to survive a horrible winter storm on their way to California in the 1800's
    Matt Colson

See you in 2012

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, here in Raleigh we just wait for the sun to come out and melt the snow and ice. It usually does in a couple days.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information