Thread: ScubaBosh's 90G Tall

Thanks

ScubaBosh's 90G Tall

Hey everyone!

Its been awhile since i've posted on here so I thought I'd share my tank. I'm running a hydor 400 skimmer, 2 1400 koralia evos hooked to a digital aquatics controller. they run opposite of each other for 8mins at a time. Just switched from 2 150w MH to ATI 6 bulb Sunpower fixture. Also have a 10g kalkwasser hooked to the sump via gravity fed float valve. I keep my system on a set schedule and as simple as possible because I work offshore for a week at a time every other week. So I guess you could call me an expert at leaving the tank for "vacations" or work for me...enough of the boring words and babble. Time for some pix

-Aaron

Thanks
    Disreguard that little green circle please

-Aaron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    wow great looking tank.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Aaron! How are you doing? The tank is looking great! How's the little tank on the rig doing?
    Carmie

Only disasters happen fast!

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Hi CJ! I'm doing well. My wife is 12weeks pregnant btw. The tank on the rig is doing extremely well. Infact someone saw some pix I posted online and taked about it on their websites pod cast as a "noteworthy" tank. I will find my thread here about it and update everyone on it
    -Aaron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Congratulations! Your life will never be the same. And, you wouldn't want it to be any other way!
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Show people you value their advice! Click the STAR icon at the bottom of the post to add to their reputation.

Thanks
    Thanks CJ i am so excited for this new chapter in my life. I can't wait!!!!
    -Aaron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Aaron, your tank looks amazing!! Congrats on the baby too!
    Ray or Raymond
    There is no elevator to success in marine tanks. You have to take the stairs.

Raymond's 30 gallon tank
    Raymond's 60 gallon tank

Show people you appreciate their advice! Click the star icon under their name to add to their reputation.

Expert Reefer
    Thanks
    Hey bud I remember when you first started posting about the 10 gallon on the off shore driller a year or two ago... Your home tank looks amazing with the growth rate of the cup coral and the lack of algae! Tell us about what your wife is dosing feeding testing while your gone?! Congrats on the new child on the way! You are very blessed! The cleanliness and signs of growth in your tank are amazing. Please share more!

Thanks
    Thanks everyone!

Coreyz- My wife rocks! BUT...she doesnt do anything to the tank except feed the fish. Countless times i've come home to a half dead turned over coral. I've learned that I can't get angry about it cause she's not interested in the tank and just doesn't know the difference between a right side up coral and a frag plug sticking out of the sand lol.

Test my water first day i'm home.
    clean glass....I haven't scrapt the bottom glass in a couple months now cause a friend had to break down his tank and several of his corals are sitting on my sand bed right next to the glass. So i'm trying not to kill them by just leaving them alone. which means I cant even clean my glass down there. Really starting to bother me.
    Water changes: first day I come home and day before I leave. 15g each time
    Check Kalkwasser and refill as needed.
    Clean sump/protein skimmer/ canister
    My corals use Magnesium like its drinking water. I can dose it every day for a week and it will never go above 1200. i've used several testing kits and they read the same. Very strange, but hey they're useing Mag and its an important building block so more power to them
    The most important thing I can do for the corals is to NOT touch them. I research where in the tank they should be, then i put them there and I leave them alone. the best example I have is my ORA red planet tabling acro. I was terrified that if I move him he might die. I didn't care that he wasn't growing AT ALL. However, all of the sudden about a year in the same spot he just took off. Now every week I come home I see new growth on him. if you look in the picture you can see him growing over the cup coral.

Algae control: I believe in a big clean up crew. I have roughly 80 to 100 hermit crabs and 20-30 different types of snails. But my two biggest contributing factors are my angle fish, coral beauty and rusty angle. I have to be honest, I NEVER see algae in my tank but I constantly see my angles going to town on the rocks/glass/overflow so I know they are a big part in my algae control.

Feeding: I feed my fish the same hour every night(which my wife is good at) I believe there is a fine line you have to balance on with angles and tangs. I feed them just enough to be healthy but not too much as to where they wont eat natural going algae. I've heard and seen angle fish eat corals and I believe its cause they are of course hungry. So I do my best to balance that circle of life.

Feeding Corals: I have to admit i'm not a spot feeder. I'll throw "reef chilli" in the tank every other week i'm home if I remember lol. I do feed my scolys silver sides every week i'm home though. I just love my scolys.

And thats about it for my tank. Like I said I try to keep it as simple as possible.

I'll post some update pix of the tank offshore on the thread its under.

-Aaron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The red table acro is a beauty!

I agree, the dwarf angels are good algae eaters. I never had any algae in my tank until my cherub angel went carpet surfing.
    Carmie

Carmie's 54 Corner Tank
    Carmie's Cube

Thread Information